View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2011, 07:28 PM
I have anti pull harnesses and I do have to say they do give me more control,my lad weighs 45k and is 32 inches at the shoulder and although he is good, sometimes if we meet the one small dog that will play with him he takes a lot of stopping! I am always afraid that he may play too rough and squash him! The harness allows me to control the play much better than his collar.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Yes, sorry I thought you were addressing moi (i have an over inflated view of my own self importance)
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
My dogs pull into harnesses when tracking and I don't want them to be on harnesses at any other time as this is one of the predicators of work.

I think they give you much less control than a collar as you are not in charge of the head as you are with a collar and lead.

I don't really understand the comment about it being easier to hold a dog on a harness?

And if a dog is tracking properly it will have hind thrust......
Agreed. I must prefer to have control of the head. I use a halti in case he lunged but when he's on the flexilead he is on a flat collar. He has a harness for securing him in the car but when I tried to walk him on his flexi lead I felt totally put of control. He can throw his whole weight into it and I struggle to reel him in. I felt far more in control with a flat collar personally.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 07:31 PM
I prefer collars, though have used harness when the dogs were pups for a couple of weeks.

My two have been taught they can pull and run though in harnesses, and collar means walk to heel. If a harness comes out one of my dogs goes bonkers, as it means either a run, or I am getting bike out.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
I prefer collars, though have used harness when the dogs were pups for a couple of weeks.

My two have been taught they can pull and run though in harnesses, and collar means walk to heel. If a harness comes out one of my dogs goes bonkers, as it means either a run, or I am getting bike out.
Ohhh Sadie does the same - except I have my skates brought out - not often these days - the paths are horrendous!

RE the collar - normally if a dog cannot sniff the ground, the collar is too high up - IME.

CAD - I wasn't expecting a unanimous answer really just opinions of which is better and why they found it better.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Ohhh Sadie does the same - except I have my skates brought out - not often these days - the paths are horrendous!

RE the collar - normally if a dog cannot sniff the ground, the collar is too high up - IME.

CAD - I wasn't expecting a unanimous answer really just opinions of which is better and why they found it better.
im probably being thick... but dont u mean the lead is too short
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I prefer a collar for control and i use a martingale because he can back out of a normal collar to easily. As Smokeybear and Moon's mum said I prefer to have control of the head. I do use a harness because he spends a lot of time on a long line or flexi and i feel more secure plus he dosen't get as tangled up.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
im probably being thick... but dont u mean the lead is too short
Hmmm I guess so - which does cause the collar to rise up.. must have had a lapse in brain cells there - I'm ill ya'know
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Layton's old harness is giving us excellent control... the clasps have been duct taped either side of the bin to try to prevent his bin raiding! Was starting to fray so wasn't going to risk it on the dog - so I've cut the clasp bits off and taped them to shut the bin fast.... if he solves this puzzle he's earnt the rewards!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post

When i walk my dogs i expect them to walk to heel, they are NOT allowed to sniff the ground whilst on lead, i also do not let them continually look around everywhere but the direction they are going (my pet hate!!)

Mine only wear harnesses when doing tracking work, as SB says- they drive on from behind, its generally naturally more easier for a dog to pull on into a harness than it is a collar, and one of the reasons harnesses dont stop many dogs from pulling.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >