View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Which gives you more control..collars or harnesses?

Following on from the choke chain thread, I thought it would be interesting on what you viewed.

Collars - I mean any type of collar - except Choke/Prong because they are already being discussed. However Flat, martingale, half checks, slip collars can all be discussed...

Anti pull harnesses as well as the usual harness also.

Personally I like harnesses, sure they were designed for giving a dog a bit of extra umph! when it pulled, but if you have a little dog or one you can physically control - then you have control right? Louie has a normal harness which I converted into an anti pull. However whenever we walk, depending on the day, sometimes he will have his harness on, sometimes I will walk him with his flat collar. Although I have considered trying out the martingale collars on my own dogs, just to see if there was any difference.

Harness allow you to control the front end of the dog, the power if you will (although Sadie has quite a bit of muscle in them back legs) but if you ever needed to hold your dog - it would be a lot easier on you and the dog. All this without harming the dog - considering it was fitted correctly and used properly.
Flat collars and indeed the other collars I have mentioned, control the dogs neck, when trained to walk nicely on these they are hardly without fault, but those of us who have those who like to think they are weight trainers - our dogs can form serious habits and endanger themselves.

So which in your opinion, gives you more control over your dog. We could easily bring in headcollars and dogmatics - but there would be no discussion, really.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:21 PM
In all honesty, it's not equipment that gives you ultimate control, but training.

I like harnesses simply because they cause the minimum discomfort while the dog is being trained
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I have a harness that I put on Henry every so often, we used it a lot in the snow, he is so strong and eager that I worried he would have me over.

Now, when my legs are bad, I put it on him just so I have more control over him.

I definately think I have more control with the harness than his normal collar
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
In all honesty, it's not equipment that gives you ultimate control, but training.

I like harnesses simply because they cause the minimum discomfort while the dog is being trained
Good point So aside from good training - what does everyone else think...
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:28 PM
I prefer first a training harness, never have to use one longer than 3 weeks, usually less, then transfer to ordinary harness. Like the freedom it gives the dog to move its head in amy ditection it chooses.

Walking the dog on a collar present no problems when harness trained if you decide to use tbe collar. I sometimes just use collar & lead when going to the vets.

Its just a personal choice - harnesses always for us
BullseyesTail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Have used harnesses for years. My staffie had the Lupi (anti pulling) and a previous staffie had the Halti head collar - but in the past 10 years, I have just used harnesses. My mini bull has a harness the vet gave her after her eye ops - as a neck collar puts too much strain on the eyes/face. She walks with a loose lead. She wears a collar but only for decoration.
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I use a harness on my terrier cos its my sisters dog she like to walk him with an extendable lead when i walk him with just collar and lead he pulls like made so i use a harness and he doesnt pull at all.

so for me i think a harness is better than collar and lead as it does give u more control.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post

i agree

i do not use harnesses tho (except when the sibes are in their x backs working)
as if you are talking control a harness allows the dogs whole bodyweight behind it so without training i do not see how it can give you more control than a collar.

i have also found out the hardway a csv's conformation is kinda awkward to use a harness with

i think harness are great for small dogs and old dogs tho
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I thought a harness would offer a bit more control, but having tried several anti pull types, I have to say they didn't work for me.

I tried the Lupine, Halti body harness, and various others. I found that Dexter learned how to lean into them and also when he lunged, the harness enabled him to really lurch forward!!

So if for some reason I could not use a headcollar, I'd use a neck collar; a part check, part nylon one.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:46 PM
My dogs pull into harnesses when tracking and I don't want them to be on harnesses at any other time as this is one of the predicators of work.

I think they give you much less control than a collar as you are not in charge of the head as you are with a collar and lead.

I don't really understand the comment about it being easier to hold a dog on a harness?

And if a dog is tracking properly it will have hind thrust......
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >