View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi Flow wolf does she get lots of exercise before you leave her , remember Mals have a lot of energy and the ability to run for hours.
You know what they say, 'A tired dog is a happy dog' and a tired dog would be less inclined to chew.
It would cause me great distress to muzzle a dog like that
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Yes she has her daily morning walk up on the bowling greens across the road,then an evening walk just before it goes dark ( partner works nights,so I make sure she goes out before half 5 ).

I know I dont like the thought of putting a muzzle on either,but we were desperate.

Maybe with winter nearly over,it may stop,I can leave her out in the garden for longer,and not keep her indoors.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:32 PM
How about a crate? That would prevent her being able to get to anything to chew it. Apparently most dogs like their crates (never used one myself) and will use them even when the owners home. If she's anything like Rupe and only chewing when you're not there correcting her for it is practically impossible.

Rupert can get his muzzle off if he's able to work at it for long enough so it may not be a good solution to a chewing problem when you're out.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm sorry I can't add any more suggestions to those already given.

I would like to tell you though, I rescued an English Setter about 10 years ago, (sadly she is no longer with us), but she had been muzzled because she was a barker. She was removed from the owners by the breeder after she was alerted by a neighbour that the dog was choking and couldn't catch her breath. The neighbour had rushed round to the garden to find her retching and trying to be sick but she couldn't because she had a muzzle on. It was only the quick thinking of the neighbour that prevented this poor little girl from suffocating on her own vomit.

This is the reason that I would never muzzle a dog.

I can fully understand their use for a dog that may be a bit snappy with visitors or whilst out walking and I am not condemning their use, just alerting you to a possible downside.
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Oh,that now has put me off!!

I was meant to be going to look at the muzzles today but didnt go,changed the subject when partner brought it up,I'll now go look at a crate.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by flow-wolf View Post
Oh,that now has put me off!!

I was meant to be going to look at the muzzles today but didnt go,changed the subject when partner brought it up,I'll now go look at a crate.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sway your decision but it would be awful if I knew of a problem and hadn't warned you.

I use the babydan playpens for when I have puppies or a poorly dog that needs to be separated, they are brilliant as you can make them bigger or smaller, they have a door in and come apart for storage or transport. They are around the £70 mark so probably a bit cheaper than a crate for the size of your girl.
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 05:02 PM
No its ok,I wasnt very keen,thats why I put the question up in the forum to get other people's points of view.

I'm gonna start having a look around now at crates etc.
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-01-2007, 05:52 PM
if your looking for a folding cage, then type dog cage in on e bay there are loads there for decent prices
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Get her a rig and take her for a trek.. That will tire her out!!!!
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 06:27 PM
sorry isnt this one of those breeds that dont like being on there own like being with there pack ?
Have you tried a nice big bone to chew before you go out i would like the other say a crate rather than a muzzle or do you maybe know someone who would have her when you pop out or someone that could pop in maybe
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >