View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 02:51 AM
Has she always chewed?? I can't recall you saying she did.. so I assume its a new behaviour for her... one that I would think she would be growing out of...(My samoyed chewed things then stopped at 14 months)

Could she be bored?? How long are you leaving her for??

My 9 month old Mal puppy has never chewed a thing.. BUT I also have an 19 month old and she does chew (but she spent 8 months in a dogs home from 4 months old to a year old) so I do excuse her.. She is crated when we go out but they are only ever left for a max of 2 hours..

I would consider crating her if she is crate trained.. if not try her with a crate and see how she reacts..
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Has she always chewed?? I can't recall you saying she did.. so I assume its a new behaviour for her... one that I would think she would be growing out of...(My samoyed chewed things then stopped at 14 months)

Could she be bored?? How long are you leaving her for??

My 9 month old Mal puppy has never chewed a thing.. BUT I also have an 19 month old and she does chew (but she spent 8 months in a dogs home from 4 months old to a year old) so I do excuse her.. She is crated when we go out but they are only ever left for a max of 2 hours..

I would consider crating her if she is crate trained.. if not try her with a crate and see how she reacts..

I agree, Id rather crate a dog than muzzle. Ive never like the thought of muzzling, ive seen what it can do to some dogs. It can irritate them to the point where they can be 'moody' over it.....Please try anything and everything beofre you try the muzzle.

Have you tried any of that 'chew stop' spray that you spray on things? When the dog bites it it tastes really bitter, and it's suposed to put them off. Personally Ive never tried it, but it worked for a friend of mine.

Also have you tried confing your dog to 1 room when your out? So if she does get into mischief, its not spread throughout the whole house?
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Crating your dog is by far the easiest way, but you could also try giving the dog things to occupy it while your away.

I tried one of those balls that you put dry food or treats in.
Keeps them occupied for hours trying to get the food out.
The only prob with that was my GSD got bored and destroyed the ball instead of rolling it about.
He now gets a Kong Toy packed with dry food and the paste you can buy to squirt into it. It works a treat.

The anti lick stuff you get from pet shops (bitter apple) is alright, but if you speak to your vet and get a bottle of the stuff they put on stitches that really works. You just paint it onto the surface,
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:48 AM
We have a muzzle for Suki and the only time it's used indoors is when a stranger comes into the house (she has a tendency to snap) but only until it's given her time to settle down and then it's removed. There are warnings on them not to leave a dog unattended with a muzzle as they can be dangerous.

What about using a crate instead. Suki is never left in the house to roam - as well as her crocodile impersonation she rifles through things and steals anything and everything. She's put in her crate when we go out and there are no problems.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I am sorry you are having such a stressful time at the moment. My collie was a terrible chewer, but thankfully he grew out of it.

I agree with the others and would prefer to crate a dog than muzzle it when I wasn't there. How often do you have to leave your dog? And for how long?
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Hiya, If a dog really wants to they can remove the muzzle themselves, no problem solved.

Perhaps try limiting you dog to one room while your out using a stair gate. Invest in some toys that involve thinking on the dogs part to say.... retrieve a treat, another idea would be to fill a kong.
geisthexe
New Member!
Female 

02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Please please please do not use the muzzle while you are out of the home. If you are worried about the stuff in your home then buy the dog a crate. Much better on your stuff and her. Dogs see them as there den so she will be fine. My dogs know there crates well. They all come in at night and sleep in there crates and have no problem with it. Toys also should not just be left for the dog. It is to easy for them to swallow a piece of it and you are not home to take the dog to the vet. All toys should be supervised.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Have you not thought of crate training her, this way she will be safe, and what she cant get to she wont chew.

leaving a dog with a muzzle on while alone is not a good idea, she could injure herself, she will not lean "not to chew" by doing this. Muzzles should only be used in extreme cases to exercise an aggressive dog, or a dog that may bite in a stressful situation, (ie the vets) Please find another way to deal with this situation, and using a crate will be the best way forward.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 02:40 PM
i would suggest a crate or an area where you can pen off where she can come to no harn
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:13 PM
She usually has the kitchen and the hallway when we leave her indoors,we have left her kongs and what not before,they just do not interest her even if they do contain food,she's chewed the wallpaper off the walls on the stairs,any of our belongings she can get hold of,she'll chew,I'll give her something she is a crafty dog,she opens my partners bedside cupboard,nicks his socks.

We have tried stair gates before with her,she climbs over them.

I have only left her over the Christmas period when I've been out visiting family,I'd take her with me no problem,but my parents and in laws wont have her in the house,she's getting to be a big bouncy dog.

I'm gonna be home more now Xmas is over so maybe it will stop and we will have no need to muzzle.

Those anti chewing sprays would be no good,I dont think you'd be able to spray it on wires and clothing because thats all she's going for at the minute.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >