Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Trouble - when I had to leave her for that week it was interesting that on the days I got up really early and took her for a good hours walk she was silent apparently. The days it was only a quick ten minute throwing the ball was the problem.

However I cant really take her for an hours walk before I need to nip down the shop
That was kinda what I was guessing, and I think you have answered yourself. Yes you can go shopping after you've walked her at least until you have established your routine, of course it's a blinkin pain in the butt, but better that than winding the neighbours up. Exercise, feed and rest in that order it works honest. Then go off and do the ignoring on leaving and return if you must although I say goodbye to mine when I go and hello when I return, I just don't make a big deal out of it.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 05:50 PM
I'd heard from someone that Dobies are often referred to as velcro dogs- for the very reasons you are talking about Natalie. Suki can't be left alone without major separation issues although we now have a dogsitter. Like you though we just never go out without her, lifestyle habit means we are always at home. If we couldn't get a sitter then we wouldn't go out.

When she was younger and before we moved back up (with me working away from home her anxiety has increased) we could take her out for a run and then put in her in the cage no problem at all. However nowadays if we can't leave her we take her with us (under the guise of training!).

Trouble - what is it with the vocals? Suki has an impressive range of conversations with us now and I'm convinced she's even saying 'Mum' or have I lost it completely?

Y
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Correct it is sporadically as my OH works shifts so although I am pretty routine my OH is not. But the problem only occurs when my Sister cannot have Roxy like goes on holiday for example and my OH's shifts co-inside with that then we are stuck. So she is not left unless, like this weekend for example me and my OH wanted to pop down the shops, it wasn't very long at all, and she wont be left again until way after christmas now??

Do you think maybe this would calm down with age?

The problem is we rarely go out, not due to her, thats just the way we are? so how would I be able to build this up??

I would be more than happy to pay for a behaviourist, we already have two trainers, but they are not much use with this kind of training...
With the shift thing, does that mean she is alone whilst you are at work but not for very long? I'm not sure how long she is left normally, if you see what i mean?

I got the impression she wasn't left for a few weeks (at all, not for anything) but I think that wasn't correct?

Des and I rarely go out, but we do have a routine. What i did do (because Belgies can be a little unhappy at being without owners) was to gradually get her used to being on her own in the home first (ie, whilst i was washing up, she'd be behind a childgate - so useful- chewing her stuffed kong, so she was learnig that being alone was OK.

Then I progressed to leaving her for a few minutes whilst I was in the garden, then putting out the wheelie bin - then across the road to the corner shop...then 15 minutes to the shops further away...always giving her stuffed kongs and things but also givng them in the home as well when we are there, to avoid her associating them with us leaving.

Over time we built up the time we left her, and did make it so that (as has been suggested) she never knew how long we'd be - 10 minutes or 3 hours.

I made the decision to teach her "home alone" time and make it pleasant for her which we did manage

There are also other things you can do such as providing a signal for her but that I'd leave up to a behaviourist who was with you to see the house layout etc.

I think the plan may be to give her time on her own in the home - very happily, very tasty nice things for her whilst she is on her own, and not for too long, start small and build up. Then gradually go out for a few minutes and so on. It may work, if not I'd get someone in before it does get worse. Just my view

Good luck!

Wys
x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Trouble - when I had to leave her for that week it was interesting that on the days I got up really early and took her for a good hours walk she was silent apparently. The days it was only a quick ten minute throwing the ball was the problem.

However I cant really take her for an hours walk before I need to nip down the shop
As Trouble has said, you may have solved the problem Give her a good run before you go out - even if you are just nipping to the shops. A tired dog is much more likely to be relaxed and sleep while you are out
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi trikes, nice to know Im not the only one going through this. I am the same as you, Roxy used to be fine but as shes getting older it is now starting.

With the shift thing, does that mean she is alone whilst you are at work but not for very long? I'm not sure how long she is left normally, if you see what i mean?

I got the impression she wasn't left for a few weeks (at all, not for anything) but I think that wasn't correct?
When I am working and my OH is working at the same time, Roxy spends all day with my sister and her two dogs.

She is not left normally, I am literally talking maybe an hour every other weekend???
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
I like that term velcro dog, I have one of those to and that is whatI am going to call her now...lol
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 09:56 PM

When I am working and my OH is working at the same time, Roxy spends all day with my sister and her two dogs.

She is not left normally, I am literally talking maybe an hour every other weekend???
Ah OK

I think, maybe, this is the problem -she's so used to someone being there that she is not used to being alone. I'm only going on what you've said in this thread though but that's what it seems like to me.

I actually think it's fantastic for her to be with your sister and her dogs when you guys are at work - that's a great arrangement. But I think also you may need help with teaching her she can cope with being alone for short periods building up to maybe 4 hours maximum

Wys
x
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah thats right Wys,

I will resume training again this weekend then, taking her out for a walk and then leaving her alone for 5 or ten minutes, and then gradualy building that up.

The only thing that confuses me is my dads JRT is also never left alone, yet she just lays down and sleeps when we all go out. Also my sisters two are hardly left (sister is a sat at home mum) So how did they ever get used to being left alone??
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Nats it isn't anything you're doing wrong as such, but Roxy is just a different dog with different needs and wants and likes and dislikes So different course of action needed.
06dcc.brigdenh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2006, 01:04 PM
I don't think an alarm is the answer because the reason she's howling is because she's anxious and/or bored. Scaring her isn't going to make less anxious is it! On the blue cross website there are downloadable leaflets, one of which is on separation anxiety.
Getting another dog isn't the answer- you'll probably just have two dogs howling!! I know my two neighbours dogs 'sing' together when they go out.
Some tips I would give are:
* Leave something that smells very much of you in their bed. eg, a scarf or used pillowcase.
* Record 30 minutes of your family's conversation and then play it when you go out.
* Hide treats around the place- inside an old sock, under the mat, in their Kong etc, which gives them something to do.
* Don't make a fuss of the dog when you leave. This reduces the contrast between when you are there and when you aren't.
* Keep leaving cues to a minimum- such as rattling your keys, put your coat on where she they can't see you.
* If you dog tends to follow you around the house, try and get in your bedroom, annoy when you're watching TV etc, try and get them out of this by leaving them shut out for a bit at a time. They have to learn to be alone sometimes.
* Never get mad at them if you get back and they've destroyed something.
* Take them for a walk and give them a small meal before you leave and this will make them more likely to fall asleep.

Hope this helps!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >