Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Neighbours cats pooing on our garden

We've lived in our house for nearly 4 months now and a couple of our neighbours have got cats. Next door have 4 and next door but one the other way have 2. They come into our garden, which we don't mind apart from the fact that we have to pick up cat poo every day before letting Poppy onto the grass. We've noticed recently when we've picked up some cat poo, that there are small white worm-like things in the poo, which is obviously a concern with us letting Poppy on the grass.

I've spoken to both lots of neighbours who I know have cats and they assure me that it's not their cats. Of course there could be other cats in the area that come on to our garden.

Just wondering if anyone knows a good, kind way to stop the cats coming onto our garden? We've got prikka strip on the fences, but the cats just walk along that , we've tried the plastic bottles of water scattered on the grass, but they just walk round them. A friend at work suggested chicken pellets from B&Q - has anyone else tried these? I'm a bit worried about Poppy eating them.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Obviously we don't want to harm the cats, but Poppy has to be our priority.
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Hmm, that's a sticky situation, especially if you can't prove who's cats are doing it.

Why don't you maybe take pictures of the cats if you catch them in your yard, that way you can prove who's the culprit. Your neighbours can't deny it if you have proof, so then give them the opportunity to do something about it, and if nothing gets done, report them.

Of course, if your area is anything like mine, there are a lot of strays around too, in any case, if you call animal control they should be able to get the cat off of the streets.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi I had this problem a while back, I've put a link to the page I posted so you can see the replys, I've used the orange/lemon peel and the scaredy cat plant, the latter keeps them of the borders, and since I've put he orange/lemon peel in certain places round the lawn I've only found one lot of cat poo, hope this helps you
Christine
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=60730
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by britishbandit View Post
Hmm, that's a sticky situation, especially if you can't prove who's cats are doing it.

Why don't you maybe take pictures of the cats if you catch them in your yard, that way you can prove who's the culprit. Your neighbours can't deny it if you have proof, so then give them the opportunity to do something about it, and if nothing gets done, report them.

Of course, if your area is anything like mine, there are a lot of strays around too, in any case, if you call animal control they should be able to get the cat off of the streets.
Thanks for your reply.

We've not actually seen any of the cats pooing on the garden, just see them walking across or sun bathing on the shed roof. I'd like to stop them getting into the garden altogether really.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by britishbandit View Post

What can cat owners do to stop cats going in others gardens?? and who would you 'report' them to??

There is stuff you can get from pet shop like a green gell thats citronella scented other than that i'm not sure what you can do to stop cats getting in sorry.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Get a cat of your own..... not always practical, but I don't know of any other cure.....
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Yep get your own cat. Mind you ours doesn't go into our garden because of the dogs, but she does go into others and there isn't anything as a cat owner you can do.
You might think it's one cat and it will be another.

And there is no one to report it to.....from a council website...
Unfortunately, we cannot do anything about cat fouling as cats are not controlled by law in the same way that dogs are. Often chatting through the problem with the cat owner may help. You could also consider buying a cat scarer or checking for deterrent products at your local garden centre, that might help.
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
What can cat owners do to stop cats going in others gardens?? and who would you 'report' them to??
Well, for one, they could be made indoor cats. Or in my case, having 2 Rottweilers in and out of the yard is a very good deterrent, not once have a seen a cat other than my own in the yard. LOL

And in many places, there are laws in place that any "problem" animal can be reported. Either to animal conrol, pounds, shelters...etc. In my area they are reported to animal control which runs out of the humane society. I mean you can't stop a cat from wandering, but when it is leaving poop full of what is likely worms, and likely not vaccinated or protected from disease (which could affect your own pets), or causing destruction of your property (clawing and scratching), it is a problem.

Neighbours "should" be respectful towards each other, that includes allowing their pets to do this. I personally wouldn't really be bothered about picking up the actual poop, I have to do it often anyway with my dogs, but the fact the cat in this case has suspicious content in it's stools, I'd be worried about my pets catching something.

My own cats are indoor/outdoor cats, but I've talked to all of my neighbours, and said that if they have any problems with them, to let me know and I'll handle it accordingly. If it means my cats can no longer go outside, so be it, but I have the courtesy and respect to do so. I certainly would rather they tell me and try and sort the problem, than to have animal control come out and take them.

If that isn't an option, and there is no law against nuisance animals in the area, then of course you have to take a different route.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 08:41 PM
My Cats would go stir crazy if I sudenly stopped them from going outside!!!! wouldn't be fair on them at all!
Obviously if you could identify who is leaving stools with worms in then you would want to let the owner know but short of following you own cat round with a poop a scoop then there is not allot a cat owner can do about their cats feaces. And I wouldn't like people coming in and out of my garden gate to follow their cats!!!