Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2010, 09:06 AM

New pup up at 4am

hi all,brought my pup home yesterday and so far so good bit of upset tum hopefully due to the move to mine,at this point in time shes out in the garden hopefully doing what she should,have a crate for her and yesterday she was in and out a couple of times and did sleep in it,but last night she was crying and i thought she might need a toilet break now comes the funny part , have been told not to open crate door if they whine/cry as then they learn to make more noise to be let out,well came to her (still whining) she saw me stopped whining so thought right your quiet out you come,put my hand to open door she started again so didnt open door,this went on for 10 minutes untill i think she got it let her out for a wee only to be outside for 45 minutes while she played any ideas on the crying issue would be most helpfull as it was a long time ago that i had a 8 week old pup dogs i have now are 11 and 10 yrs
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi,

Yuor pup sounds like a normal healthy little dog to me and yes, she's whining to be let out of her crate.

please bear in mind that you only brought her home yesterday so she's not had chance to settle yet or get into any sort of routine. She's still a baby.

Having said that, IMO training should begin on day 1. I don't mean hard, intensive training, but exactly what you're doing. If she learned after only 10 minutes that she has to be quiet to come out of her crate, I don't think you have anythign to worry about. Persevere and within a week or two, when she sees you (if she's whining at all by then) she'll be quiet. That doesn't mean that you HAVE to let her out every time she's quiet though. Remember she's come to live with you and must abide by your house rules.

She will also pick up lots from the other dogs, by following them around, by watching them and copying what they do. When you take her outside to relieve herself, also take her out when your other dogs go outside. Then she'll learn that she's supposed to do it outside. This is how my dogs learned (well, al of them after Zane) and ow they all use one place on the patio ('cos they all like to save it up until they get home!).

Also, if your pup is crying at 4am for a toilet break, by not opening the crate door until she's quet may result in a puddle inside the crate. Don't forget that small pups can't hold their bladder for any length of time.

Finally, when it comes to toilet breaks, it may be worth using a command word - both with your pup and the other dogs (even though the older two don't need it). This way, she'll learn that if you say (whatever word you use) it's to relieve herself. You won;'t notice much difference to begin with but she'll pick it up quickly I think, based on what you've already said.

Any piccies?

Laura xx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Good post stompywop

What i picked up on was your comment "shes out now hopefully doing what she should" - how do you expect her to know what she"should" be doing if you dont stay with her! You should be outside with her, using your keyword such as "wee wees" or whatever you use for your older dogs, you need to stay so you can make a great fuss of her when she goes no matter how long it takes or the weather - joys of puppies!

Enjoy every moment, puppy days pass all too quickly.
skyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2010, 01:02 PM
thanks Laura they all go out together and she does go to the toilet outside with lots of praise for doing so i know it takes time and we will get there and velvetboxers my 13yr old daugter was outside with her and she gets very animated with her when she "goes" lol
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Awww how lovely - a new pup!

What breed is it? Looking forward to seeing pics
skyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2010, 01:26 PM
shes a husky,how do i post pics
skyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2010, 04:01 PM
think ive got it
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by skyla View Post
thanks Laura they all go out together and she does go to the toilet outside with lots of praise for doing so i know it takes time and we will get there and velvetboxers my 13yr old daugter was outside with her and she gets very animated with her when she "goes" lol
My nephew is 14 so yep can imagine the animation.
She sounds lovely. When putting link from photobucket use the "img" option. Can be confusing with so many choices. On my website youve to use the "direct link" choice & on some the Url -
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi Dawn congratulations on your new puppy ...

Originally Posted by skyla View Post
hi all,brought my pup home yesterday and so far so good bit of upset tum hopefully due to the move to mine,at this point in time shes out in the garden hopefully doing what she should,have a crate for her and yesterday she was in and out a couple of times and did sleep in it,but last night she was crying and i thought she might need a toilet break now comes the funny part , have been told not to open crate door if they whine/cry as then they learn to make more noise to be let out,well came to her (still whining) she saw me stopped whining so thought right your quiet out you come,put my hand to open door she started again so didnt open door,this went on for 10 minutes untill i think she got it let her out for a wee only to be outside for 45 minutes while she played any ideas on the crying issue would be most helpfull as it was a long time ago that i had a 8 week old pup dogs i have now are 11 and 10 yrs
It is completely normal for a puppy to cry when it is first seperated from the the safety and security of the dam and siblings.

I always take a new puppy upstairs with me at night and have it next to my bed in a box on a nice warm blanket or piece of vetbed, this way it goes to sleep quite quickly in the dark with the comforting sound of human breathing and the touch of a reassuring hand if necessary.
The puppy will wake and cry if it needs to go out and can quickly be taken outside to the garden with the minimum of fuss and returned to the box to sleep.

Having the puppy with you also helps with the bonding process and gives the puppy chance to gain a little confidence before being left alone for a long period like all night. I find puppies which are not forced to be alone straight after leaving the dam don't have problems with separation, this is probably because they haven't had the chance to become fearful of being left alone so don't associate being alone with the feeling of fear.

I gradually get the puppy used to being left alone for short periods during the day usually after a meal and a play when it is ready to sleep and is relaxed.
Once the puppy has gained a little confidence and has gradually got used to being left it can be moved to the kitchen when necessary.

ETA I note that a number of well regarded dog people including Gwen Bailey writer and dog trainer are now saying having a puppy with you at night is the thing to do ..

Suddenly leaving the security of the mother and litter mates, coming to a new household and then being left totally alone at night in the dark can be very frightening for a new puppy, especially if the breeder has not taken the time to get each puppy used to being alone before they go to their new homes.
Since this can cause some sensitive puppies to be prone to separation problems later in life, my advice is to take the puppy up to the bedroom for the first few weeks, confined to a high-sided box or crate so that it can be with you, but not get too close.
Then, when the puppy is used to the house, used to being parted from its mother and litter mates, and has got used to being left alone for short periods of time, it can go down to the kitchen at night times.
This method is less traumatic for the puppy and has the added advantage that you are able to get up and take the puppy out when it wakes up in the middle of the night, thereby avoiding the puppy learning to use the kitchen floor as a toilet.

Quote from the Gwen Bailey dog Behaviour website
skyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2010, 08:05 PM
thanks for the replies as i type this she is sleeping in her crate which see went into on her own and her poo is almost back to normal,shes eating,drinking and playing with every one/thing in the house and seems quite happy,i know shes just a baby and it all takes time,love, patience and praise and we will get there,my 6yr old son was nocturnal from birth till 18months old