View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:31 AM

What can I do (flaky skin - Irish Setter)

I know Irish Setters can have alot of skin dander, but Honey always has flaky skin!! Everytime she is brushed, dead skin!! She is healthy, glossy coated and beautiful But I wondered if there was anything I could give her to reduce the flakes. The vet advised bathing her and just brushing every day. There is nothing else there, no fungal problems....
Any advice?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Do you put any supplements - Yumega Senstive/ any oils?

Max is an itchy / nibbler of skin and I have to say putting evening primrose oil from Groomers seems to have helped no end.

I did use Yumega senstive too and this too was fab?
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Do you put any supplements - Yumega Senstive/ any oils?

Max is an itchy / nibbler of skin and I have to say putting evening primrose oil from Groomers seems to have helped no end.

I did use Yumega senstive too and this too was fab?
Thanks Rachel, I used to use Four Oils from hyperdrug, had to stop as Jamie allergic to wheatgerm! It made Honey even more glossy!! Never heard of Groomers I will have have a look! Deacon used to be on Yumega, but as his skin condition has eased a great deal, don't tend to use it now... I know norty mum!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I put my two onto salmon oil last year and it gave their coats an extra gleam. I don't feed it at the moment as they get salmon mousse on a regular basis but it could be worth a try for you. There are several brands that sell it, Fish4Dogs do a small bottle you could try out but if you want to feed it long-term then there's good deals on bulk bottles on Ebay.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I probably wouldn't bath regularly as it strips the skin of oils and could have the opposite effect.

Is she fed dry food? do you feed any fish in the diet?
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I put my two onto salmon oil last year and it gave their coats an extra gleam. I don't feed it at the moment as they get salmon mousse on a regular basis but it could be worth a try for you. There are several brands that sell it, Fish4Dogs do a small bottle you could try out but if you want to feed it long-term then there's good deals on bulk bottles on Ebay.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I probably wouldn't bath regularly as it strips the skin of oils and could have the opposite effect.

Is she fed dry food? do you feed any fish in the diet?
I don't bath her often, unless she has rolled and I used Coatex Aloe Vera and Oatmeal. I feed her JWB Ocean Fish or Turkey, plus twice a week she has either sardines/mackeral/pilchards/tuna in olive oil etc...
Think I will restart the oil supplements!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Omega 3 via Fish Body Oils are the best for skin issues, often it is the CH that dries them out, avoid wheatgerm and flaxseed as the dogs have to change the ALA into a usable form and for some dogs wheatgerm and flaxseed oils EXACERBATE skin issues.

Avoid Cod Liver Oil as it does not contain so much Omega 3 and contains Vitamins A and D which in excess are harmful.

A good FBO will state the amount of not only Omega 3 but the amounts of DHA and EPA, and if it does not contain Vitamin E you MUST give Vitamin E as well, because Omega 3 depletes the level of V E in the body.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:44 AM
i use yumea plus on daphni, it helped alot after she pulled out alot of her coat because she was allergic to her food... still use it now, id definately reccomend it
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Omega 3 via Fish Body Oils are the best for skin issues, often it is the CH that dries them out, avoid wheatgerm and flaxseed as the dogs have to change the ALA into a usable form and for some dogs wheatgerm and flaxseed oils EXACERBATE skin issues.

Avoid Cod Liver Oil as it does not contain so much Omega 3 and contains Vitamins A and D which in excess are harmful.

A good FBO will state the amount of not only Omega 3 but the amounts of DHA and EPA, and if it does not contain Vitamin E you MUST give Vitamin E as well, because Omega 3 depletes the level of V E in the body.
Thankyou that is very interesting! The four oils I used contained, evening primrose/cod liver/salmon/wheatgerm oils.

Will have a look into yumega, salmon oils and evening primrose as well.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Bear in mind that EPO does not have the anti inflammatory properties that FBO does. Yumega contains flaxseed oil I believe.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >