Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Well, fir my two penneth worth..

I can see no reason to keep a pet dog on a chain.

Working dogs also need love. Most old time shepherds would spend the days on the hills, then go home WITH THEIR DOG to their house. Maybe because it was the tool of their trade, but they took their dog into their home. They did not leave it outside on a chain. How could you have a decent bond with an animal you chained up outside? And you need to bond with a dog you are going to rely on for your livelihood. Not as a passtime.
Dogs on a chain can also have love Although, tbh, I think a WSD wants respect, kindness, understanding and patience - and work of course.

My hubby relies on his team of WSD for his livelihood. It isn't a hobby or a pastime. He is a shepherd! I don't know how many "old time" shepherds you know personally, but the ones we know from years gone by, and their fathers before them, often kept dogs outside in kennels and on chains. You can have a perfectly good bond with a dog who lives outdoors because you train, work and spend the majority of each day every day with that dog or dogs, working out on the hills, just man and dog.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
I'm sorry if I sound very harsh in this but not being able to afford a diet is just not an excuse in my books.
You need to read other books. Dogs can be looked after on a meager wage. Being poor does not mean you don't care for your dog.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
I'm sorry if I sound very harsh in this but not being able to afford a diet is just not an excuse in my books.
What a rude comment. Julie does the best by her dogs on her budget. I appreciate that you may have money to burn but some of us live in the real world.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Dogs on a chain can also have love Although, tbh, I think a WSD wants respect, kindness, understanding and patience - and work of course.

My hubby relies on his team of WSD for his livelihood. It isn't a hobby or a pastime. He is a shepherd! I don't know how many "old time" shepherds you know personally, but the ones we know from years gone by, and their fathers before them, often kept dogs outside in kennels and on chains. You can have a perfectly good bond with a dog who lives outdoors because you train, work and spend the majority of each day every day with that dog or dogs, working out on the hills, just man and dog.
The proof is right there, the dogs wouldnt work well without a good bond.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I am about to open a sweepstake on how many more pages this run to.

Any takers?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

Any takers?
NOOOOOOO! Now you've said it, they're going to close it.. I dunno but my FB status is up to 100 comments

All I put is "They're chains not shackles"
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
There was no need , you corrected it for me, and knew what I meant, yet needed to use ridicule to labour your point...sad really that "grown adults" need to go to such a level (your words remember, earlier in the thread), but hey ho, you answered in the end.
It is sad isn't it, just look at it as a mirror JB. A mirror in order to make a point, sometimes it's the only way to get through to people.....

Shame that you've opted not to answer my post on the subject in question though eh? Nothing to say there then, no? You're not picking on a totally irrelevant point in order to avoid labouring your point on the subject at hand are you? No, no, you'd never do that, what am I thinking?!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

I meant no offence. I just can't see how you can have that bond, with a companion you lock outside on a chain?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

Any takers?
well I'd decided to leave it as it was going round in circles, but then something comes up which I feel I just have to comment on.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
well I'd decided to leave it as it was going round in circles, but then something comes up which I feel I just have to comment on.
I keep meaning to stoP reading but can't help myself!
Page 46 of 50 « First < 36 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 > Last »