View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Scout barks when she see's something that's not supposed to be there, but obviously doesn't when there's noises some deaf dogs bark... some dont, some are obsessive about it. it depends on the dog, breed, training, and situation, just like any other dog
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Deaf dogs still have vocal chords so yep they bark
The only difference in that regard is that some learn better than others how to regulate their bark. They don`t know the sound they make but they do usually feel vibration or tingle [ put your fingers in your ears then make various sounds, see if you can `feel` the sounds in the ears rather than hearing them ].
What many deaf dogs cotton on to is how others react to the bark or other sounds, to a deaf dog this or that particular vibration/tingle brings particular reactions ie the tingle caused by a `got my legs crossed but I need the garden noooow` bark leads to their owner responding by letting them out, the tingle from a `I wanna play, throw me a ball` bark results in the owner picking up and throwing the ball [ or other toy ] that the dog is perhaps playbowing around or picking up and dropping repeatedly, and so on for various situations which bring a desired response.

Whether hearing or deaf of course there are varying degree`s of `vocabulary`, some dogs use the same bark for everything, others have a wide scope by which they express what they want/need/are worried by/alerting to etc.

Hope I`ve expressed that lot well enough to make sense in written form [ I know what I mean anyway ]
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2009, 12:29 AM
This beautiful girl is what is called a 'working' English Setter as opposed to the show type usually seen. They are slighter and with less coat than a show type. They are bred in Eire to be working gundogs as they have wonderful temperaments and are very biddable - if a little headstrong. When the deaf ones are found to be unresponsive to commands, they are dumped. I dont think there is any Saluki in there - she looks true to type to me.

Many find their way over here and English Setter Rescue do try to intercept them for rehoming - so this one was surely meant for you as she has slipped that net !!

People who own deaf setters find them compliant with hand signals and one person I know trained theirs to recall to a torch light (for those dark mornings), They are very much people dogs and just want to have physical contact, praise and love.

We have seven (hearing) English Setters here who act deaf on occasion so please feel free to ask for advice if you need to.

Thalice's Mum
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Deaf dogs still have vocal chords so yep they bark
The only difference in that regard is that some learn better than others how to regulate their bark. They don`t know the sound they make but they do usually feel vibration or tingle [ put your fingers in your ears then make various sounds, see if you can `feel` the sounds in the ears rather than hearing them ].
What many deaf dogs cotton on to is how others react to the bark or other sounds, to a deaf dog this or that particular vibration/tingle brings particular reactions ie the tingle caused by a `got my legs crossed but I need the garden noooow` bark leads to their owner responding by letting them out, the tingle from a `I wanna play, throw me a ball` bark results in the owner picking up and throwing the ball [ or other toy ] that the dog is perhaps playbowing around or picking up and dropping repeatedly, and so on for various situations which bring a desired response.

Whether hearing or deaf of course there are varying degree`s of `vocabulary`, some dogs use the same bark for everything, others have a wide scope by which they express what they want/need/are worried by/alerting to etc.

Hope I`ve expressed that lot well enough to make sense in written form [ I know what I mean anyway ]
I understood it! lol Scout is one of those who doesn't have much of a vocab. she has 2 different barks... her woof "should I bark at that? maybe you should look" and her alert "HEY SOMEONE'S THERE!!! GO AWAY!!!" really high pitched, sharp bark, that's annoying as heck.... thank goodness she will only bark once or twice, then wait for me to act.
pumpkinpie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Unfortunatly Hils aka Mouse missed out on the dog. Its a real shame as I know Hils had fallen in love with her and would of given a brillaint home. Onwards and upwards she has said and the right dog will come along to join her one day.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Aw poor Mouse, I'm glad the dog got a forever home though.

I hope that everyone would consider a deaf dog, I was a bit wary at first when i was told Dougal was deaf but I discovered it made no difference to him other than we have to watch for cars cause he doesn't know they are there or thinks that THEY should move.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing how she did with the dog, and if she was as impressed with deafies as the rest of us are.
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Sorry its taken so long to get back with the news (thanks Pumpkinpie for updating the post)- had some last minute work come in (which I could take because I didn't get her). Yep didn't get her aka Whisper. Never mind onwards & upwards. I'll wait for one to come to me I think, better that way than forcing it. Thanks for all the 'good lucks'.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Sorry you didn't get her but your dog is out there waitng for you
warlord0
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-05-2009, 06:59 PM
You always get the dog you deserve.

This time round, it was their turn. Your turn will come.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >