View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 09:46 PM
CWD bred to CWD, Saarloos bred to Saarloos, is how I define pure.

Obviously only the best examples of the breed too, same as any dog breed.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
This is not intended as a thread for arguments. This is a genuine thread. Please do not post if you cannot be an adult and leave personal differences to one side.

I have just seen an advert for full SWH puppies (UK) and it was refreshing to see. It made me wonder....

Ref the Title breeds:

Do you think the above breeds should be crossed at this early stage of them being in the UK?

I think that it would've been better for the breeds themselves to have been established, here, as they are, to begin with but I may be wrong. What are your thoughts?

Do you think it has any detrement to the breeds to be cross bred at this stage? Or not?

I am not saying that new breeds should not be created, why would I when my breed is a new creation. I am wondering if, in order to 'create' a new breed, or improve' on an existing one, it is better to use breeds which are well known and or themselves established?

Positive thoughts, regardless of your view point are welcome
No! .........
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
No i don't think they should be crossed, if people can not afford the real thing then choose another breed, simple as.

To help with the terrible interbreeding a the start of these two breeds then maybe but it would need to be controlled and researched alot better then a bunch of BYB playing at it which is what we have nowIMHO.
Nothing to do with affording the breed. The crossbreds over here make the same price as a pure bred in Europe.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I wonder , how much it actually costs to import these dogs from abroad? In the advert I saw for the UK bred SWH the pups were £2500. I think, personally, that this is steep for a puppy but of course it is up to each individual how much they pay....and of course if it costs that or more to import the dogs from abroad, then I can understand better why the price is so high.
Quarantine fees are so high that most wouldn't be able to afford those and with purchase, importation and quarantine you'd be talking double the above figure. If, like us, you have friends and/or family in Europe that would put up with a wolfdog for a good 8 months then it could come in on the PETS scheme. Either way, far easier/less stressful to pay £2500 to CW or Shoshone.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
IMO, NO the Saarloos and Czech Wolfdog should not be crossed, this is what has stopped anyone being willing to import to this country again!
Good point!!! But good for the European breeders for protecting the breed and lines.

I'm glad they have put a stop to UK buyers, even though there are alot who want to breed pure (myself included), the way things are at present those people cannot guarantee that the offspring won't be sold to homes who think 'Ooo, I'll cross it with a husky'. The time will be right when the fad is over and the dogs become unfashionable.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by janie View Post
but there are not enough in the UK.. to carry on breeding them without ending up in as much mess as the NI (regarding inbreeding).
And whose fault is that?

You say crossing is the only option...no it isn't, stop breeding the crossbreds, there's a thought. Why cross pure with crossbred WD's now? What is the purpose?
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
And whose fault is that?

You say crossing is the only option...no it isn't, stop breeding the crossbreds, there's a thought. Why cross pure with crossbred WD's now? What is the purpose?
Thats a good point. It looks like any rationale in breeding these crossbreds has been lost. It now appears to be a free for all to breed any combination of any percentage of any of the breeds without understanding what charachteristics will be inherited; especially when the next (F2) generation comes along and all the odd traits start appearing. Is it just a case of people jumping on the band wagon and buying anything they can get there hands on?

I am not against cross breeds and have and have had many. But in mainstream dog breeding if someone offered you a dog that was 1/4 doberman, 1/2 GSD and 1/8th husky and 1/8th malamute would you think they were creating a breed or selling you a mutt? Especially if they were asking pedigree prices.

I would be interested to hear a clear argument from anyone breeding these animals as to what they hope to achieve.

As for the argument over small gene pools then the answer is quite simple; don't breed from them. If the answer is that the original breeds are difficult dogs for some people to handle then I guess the answer is that they shouldn't get these breeds, cross breeding may not solve this 'problem' either.

I have no complaints over the 2 original breeds but they are not dogs for everyone.

Both breeds have been carefully developed, even if you don't like the methods or people involved. To improve these breeds you would possibly need to go back to their roots and carefully choose the best GSD and European wolf lines to reintroduce what has been lost (if you think this is the case).
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
CWD bred to CWD, Saarloos bred to Saarloos, is how I define pure.
Okay...just an arbitary thing then, a line in the sand...not related to any underlying quality within the breeds you've mentioned.

Still not clear how the problems of excessively high COIs will be avoided within a small closed gene pool.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Okay...just an arbitary thing then, a line in the sand...not related to any underlying quality within the breeds you've mentioned.

Still not clear how the problems of excessively high COIs will be avoided within a small closed gene pool.
How can crossing the CsV or SWH with 'Inuits' who are dogs of an extremely dodgy background ever develop the breed or increase the gene pool? It doesn't work like that, the only way to increase the gene pool of the two breeds is to either re-introduce a very carefully chosen GSD with impeccable health test results, not just as a dog but back in his breeding lines, of a type to improve the SWH and CsV as a breed - so not necessarily a dog that could win a BOB in the showring as the GSD is nothing like a SWH or CsV in build, type or character. Or introduce pure Timberwolf to the SWH and Carpathian wolf to the CsV - the latter option is obviously far more risky not knowing the history of it's temperament and health.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-05-2009, 11:38 AM
If the 'breeds' are different then they embody different genetic material and therefor a cross would have access to a wider pool. A GSD or other canid would also widen the pool.

Small, closed gene pools = train wreck in the making
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »