View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 05:14 PM

Should the CWD and the SWH be Cross Bred?

This is not intended as a thread for arguments. This is a genuine thread. Please do not post if you cannot be an adult and leave personal differences to one side.

I have just seen an advert for full SWH puppies (UK) and it was refreshing to see. It made me wonder....

Ref the Title breeds:

Do you think the above breeds should be crossed at this early stage of them being in the UK?

I think that it would've been better for the breeds themselves to have been established, here, as they are, to begin with but I may be wrong. What are your thoughts?

Do you think it has any detrement to the breeds to be cross bred at this stage? Or not?

I am not saying that new breeds should not be created, why would I when my breed is a new creation. I am wondering if, in order to 'create' a new breed, or improve' on an existing one, it is better to use breeds which are well known and or themselves established?

Positive thoughts, regardless of your view point are welcome
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm surprised that they are being crossed already as usually when someone imports a new breed it is for that breed itself. However, I think that other new breed imports were crossed at an early stage as well such as the Cane Corso and other mastiff breeds so it isn't a new phenomenon but one I don't really understand.
I'm not against creating new breeds at all as long as it is a well thought out breeding programme.
I do believe (and this is only hearsay or is it heresay?) that the continental breeders of these dogs are now more reluctant to sell to the UK because of the cross breeding.
Becky
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
No, I think if they're going to be crossbred at all then they need to be established here first with breeders who know their dogs and their lines. Oh but wait, then they wouldn't be crossbred..
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Its a firm No from me I'm afraid.

This is not just a CwD or SWH thing.....I am anti alot of crossbreeding. I like the theory of making dogs 'easier' through behaviour/temperment/general management.....but it does not always work. At least with the pure bred dogs people have a much more established idea of how they are going to behave or what they will be like to live with.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
NO!

I don't think ANY true breed should be crossed
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
IMO no. Again not just these breeds but any. If you like a breed why would you want to change it.

I love Boxers and Beardies but would never think of putting the two together as I don't think it would improve anything.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:10 PM
I think most people could not afford a pure bred Saarloos.. as the stud fee for one is £2500. The Czechs arn`t a great deal cheaper. There are not enough pure bred Saarloos or Czechs in the country to make it a viable breed.. as all the pups already bred... have the same sires or dams, so they all end up closely related.. just like the NI. So in the end it probably helps out both breeds.. as a viable dog in the UK.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Defo no, why should some back yard breeders ruin a breed someone has created properly.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi,

I love GSDs and Akitas but wouldn't deliberately cross breed (althoughI do own a GSD/Akita bitch).

Even if I was a breeder trying to improve the breed, I don't se how crossing the 2 breds I lvoe (or any 2 for thwt matter) would help. There are already enough true breeds without trying to creat more, although I'm not compeltely against the idea.

After all, didn't all pure breeds start of by crossing at least 2 different breeds of dog?

Laura xx
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 11:19 AM
No I don't think the CVWD and Saarloos should be crossed.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »