Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jazzydoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2009, 11:34 AM

HELP needed re lactation

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to help lactation with my mini schnauzer bitch, as I have been supplementary feeding the pups (due to her eclampsia) I wnt to ensure she still lactates sufficiently.

Any ideas?
thanks
sarah
jazzydoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I dont think she is lactating effectively, please some advice would be good asap, any one know of any foods/supplementation etc

thanks
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 01:19 PM
I think the best thing to do is make sure she has PLENTY of fluid intake, whether that is water, goats milk or water with slight bit of tea in. She needs to be drinking plenty to be able to produce milk for the pups.
are you rotating the feeds with mum? cause if the pups arent feeding regularly her milk may start to dry up.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 03:30 PM
surley your vet that diagnosed enclampsia ( I am presuming you saw a vet?)should be giving you advice on this?

mo
jazzydoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi yes the vet was involved, she was fitting and admitted for intravenous calcium and fluids. They have also given me advice on feeding but being able to get the balance right between her health and the puppies requirements with regards to feeding off mum, has been really difficult. She also developed a skin abscess which is making her feel really crappy and is on antibiotics and anti inflammatories, and today the puppies seemed to be agitated when trying to feed off mum, so I thought someone might have some useful advice, I thought this is what the forum was all about?

I am not stupid and have sought advice off the vet, i just wanted some advice off other people who may have experience with lactating bitches, who may have some simple solutions or advice to ensure her lactation is adequate because I want to let the puppies feed off her more now her calcium levels are good and that she is supplemented.

I just thought maybe someone may know of anything (dietary wise) that may assist apart from the obvious fluids, food etc to help her produce enough milk to feed her puppies as I have been taking some of the pressure off feeding them whilst she has been ill.

thanks
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Nobody having a go at you, my point was that the vet would be best advising you, to ensure the best for both the mum and pups, I know I gave my girl some welpi while she was feeding her pups. and of course plenty of clean fresh water, the more the pups feed from her they will hopefully bring her milk down, the less they feed on her the less they encourage the milk
hope everything is working out all right for you all.

mo
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi There

Hope things have settled a bit with your girl and the pups. I can't suggest anything that the others haven't already, unfortunately

When my girls have had their litters, I give them plenty of goats milk and water (about one part goats milk to two parts water). This way they drank loads without it filling them up (so still ate their dinner to get the calories packed in) and didn't make their poos runny. Both my girls have loved it and drink bowls and bowls of it.

Hope all is going well now
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2009, 02:14 PM
If puppies are agitated when feeding off mum, keep a close eye on mum, as her milk could be going off, which could be making the pups agitated (make sure non of her teats feel hard or red etc).. also with mum on antibiotics and antiinflamatorys they will be going into the pups system via her milk as well.
Best of luck with the litter, hope everything settles down soon for you all
jazzydoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi Just an update, I spent alot of time encouraging my bitch to spend more time with the pups and encouraged the pups to suckle off mum, which seemed to do the trick, as her calcium levels were fine I backed off a bit and let nature take its course and encouraged her to feed them. I think she just got used to me feeding them whilst she was really poorly and thought I could do it, anyway bond between mum and babies is restored, so is milk supply. They are four weeks old and have I have just started weaning them, both mum and pups are doing brilliantly - phew!

thanks for the advice
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
That's fantastic news. A few pics would be nice!!! Do love puppy pics!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >