Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:03 PM

dogs on diets

my lot are not impressed after i weighed them all last night and only 1 of them ( India ) weighs within the breed standard ....bonnie was a pound over "can live with that "...........Pippa still has puppy weight to loose but is 21lb ......and Sophie ( will never have another bitch speyed lol) is a whopping 24lb ...........so mummy has them all on diets

all bickeis been removed only treat now is a peace of cooked pasta I have decided to keep them on nature diet (light) but will not be mixing with complete.....it plain old mixer from now on

poor pippa has been begging for a treat all day ..AND only got an icecube
poor doggies
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Aw
What about a little bit of fruit or some carrot as a treat?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:13 PM
yes have carrot........ mine are not over fed by anymeans but the weight seems to have gone on ....i know I am only talking a few lb's but its a risk to the hearts with this breed ....we do lots of excerise !

Sophie was speyed 4 mths ago and has been on smaller portions and has gained 5lb.... and has more excersise than the others !
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:14 PM
LOL...mine are on permanent diets...they're a bit like me ...only have to look at food and they gain weight!
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Awww poor Pippa. Olive's on a diet too. I weighed her a few months ago and she was 15kg (should be 11.6kg ), so I put her on a strict diet. The thing is she looked great, not overweight and you could feel her ribs (just). I have now got her down to 12.8kg and that's as low as she will be going, anymore and I think she will look too thin. She has lost most of the weight since changing to Burns.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:15 PM
LOL @ Archer ........... lucky mine only have a few lb's to loose unlike their owner LOL
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Good luck with the diet! Poor Murph is always on a diet - not because he's overweight, although he's way over the breed standard, but he looks fine - but he's a greedy lab who only has to look at food and he puts weight on! I don't get him weighed that often, twice a year maybe.You could add green beans to their meals if they still seem hungry!

TTFN
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
LOL...mine are on permanent diets...they're a bit like me ...only have to look at food and they gain weight!
Tell me about it- I just don't look anymore (Except at weekends )
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2005, 05:13 PM
My Border Boys have been on diets since the end of February, when I was shoacked to find that Snorri-dog had hained 4 kilos in three weeks (that's a fifth of his recommended body-weight!

Cutting the amount of food in their bowls has had an excellent effect (pleased the vet the other day, at least!). I have been keeping an Excel file on them ever since (they get weighed by the vet nurse every three weeks).

The biccie rations have been struck, too, and all non-scheduled treats have disappeared, except (for the (VERY occasional) bit of jerky when they have been particularly good (like letting visitors come in and go out without setting up a noisy hubbub).

It's very hard to resist the pleading blue eyes, but one has to be tough about it!

Current food allowance is: 200gm butcher's minced offcuts, with a palmful of Pedigree complete (for crunch and trace elements), breakfast biccies (one Shape, one Markie, one Bonio), after-dinner biccies (one shape, one Markie, one Dentastik) and "night-night biscuits (two Shapes, one Markie) - and they are losing weight regularly, at a safe rate. At the moment, I can't see a simple way of posting my Excel file; if I could, you'd see a steady loss of (approx average) 700 grams per three weeks (about 1.5 pounds).