Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2005, 04:24 PM

war of the worlds

I watched war of the worlds yesterday and it was absolutely brill the effects were wicked aswell if any of you can get hold of this i would recommend you watch it.

Cant say im really into sci-fi films but this was really good
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by sambo
I watched war of the worlds yesterday and it was absolutely brill the effects were wicked aswell if any of you can get hold of this i would recommend you watch it.

Cant say im really into sci-fi films but this was really good
Seen it advertised, and fancy watching it, so thanks for letting us know its worth seeing

Mo
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2005, 06:37 PM
I'd seen a clip or two as well,and had shortlisted it in my memory (such as it is) as a potential DVD purchase (easier than going to the local leisure centre fleapit, and cheaper). Nice to hear from someone who has actually seen it, TYVM! Now it's just a question of waiting for the DVD release!

Another I'm waiting for is "Kingdom of Heaven", about the Crusades. I'm slightly put off by the fact that the lead role has gone to Orlando Bloom, whom I don't rate highly as an actor. I know some ladies think he's fab, but I suspect that his looks are the criterion here (my niece, who's 14, has posters of him plastered all over her bedroom walls, I hear).

He was OK as Legolas in LOTR (Legolas, being an elf, is not human, and doesn't need to show human emotions); in "Black Hawk Down", he was wooden, and his character got taken out early on; in "Troy", he might as well have been reading a telephone directory. I hope he is better in KOH, but from the clips I've seen, once again, he has given an impersonation of a plank. He may look pretty (I dunno, I'm not that way inclined), but, as an actor, he's useless, IMO.

I think I've heard that he was in "Pirates of the Caribbean" (?) - I haven't seen that, but I can't see him as being a real asset (except to bring the pre-pubescent little girls into the cinema).

BTW, if you haven't seen "Black Hawk Down" yet, don't bother. There's no characterization, the first 30 minutes or so are reasonably quiet, then the film becomes solid gunfire through to the end. It's a noisy "shoot-em-up", and if you're not into cinematic violence, it's not one for you. Spectacular effects, but a good film needs a bit more than that. It's based on real events (the US Marines' fiasco in Mogadishu), but it has been very well sanitized. It tries to cram 15 hours of violent action into 2 hrs 18 min - not an ideal recipe.

Snorri
(DVD collector, and probably upsetter of all Orlando Bloom fanatics)
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2005, 06:41 PM
I wish it was a period version true to the original text instead of a modern set version like the 50's movie
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Stewart B
I wish it was a period version true to the original text instead of a modern set version like the 50's movie
but even the 1953 film is only loosly based on HG Well's book written in 1898 .Im a fan of the original film and will pop to cinema to see the re-make sometime and see how closely if follows.

Still would have liked Richard Burtons narration from Jeff Waynes audio musical version in the new film as his voice had real charisma.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2005, 07:18 PM
That's what i meant the 50's version was only loosley based on it
The Jeff wayne version is really the only true adaptation so far
I've read the book and loved it i was hoping for a true adaptation but never mind
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 10:24 AM
there is a british made vrsion out as well its set in victorian era . do a search on imdb . com