Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I thought that the whole thing about being a judge (and attaining that level in the dog showing world) is that people expect them to be impartial and use their authorioty fairly. Sorry, but I still think this devalues the credibility of the judging and ultimately the show world. Judges can make mistakes, but it is not ethical to deliberately not place a worthy dog just because you do not like its owner, or its type, or you are doing a favour for another exhibitor. I think this sort of behaviour is very small-minded and petty, but as you say thats how a lot of people are (and in my book they should not be judges).
Human nature is just that, human nature, people can be extremely petty in all aspects of all life.

Not sure why you would think it was free from the dog show world, when it is evident in all walks of life.

But one judge and one exhibitor disliking each other is not going to stop a quality dog from getting its rewards... a dog dog will not be overlooked by other judges, so will still excel in its show carrier.

It does not devalue the show world at all, all it does it become gossip for others to talk over.... one judge cant scupper a dogs ability to do well in the ring.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
But hang on a minute, just because you show doesnt mean you are not a pet owner?
I show my dogs, there not show dogs..they are my PETS that are shown
Hang on a minute before you go getting offended oh wait.......... too late. I was agreeing to this statement

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i dislike those kinds of pet owners too
See how it is said "those kind of pet owners too"
I believe the word "too" is relating to people not showing their dogs, but calling them pet owners shown or not

my response was
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I agree LB, the thread is about some of the negative things found in the showing world by some show'ers. I think there are other threads for what people don't like about some dog owners (not to do with showing)
I have not said shower's are not pet owners
see how it says dog owners(not to do with showing) the brackets is making the statement dog owners are people who show their dog as well..........THEY ARE ALL DOG OWNERS I SAID NOTHING OF PEOPLE WHO SHOW DON'T HAVE DOGS AS PETS

People are saying i dont like showing for a, b and c! and what others are trying to say is a,b and c occure in the world of people that dont show and breed also..so by saying you dont agree with people showing because of certain reasons is abit two faced..do these people disgaree with owning pets because of some owners do a, b and c..and disagree with people competing in other sporting events because of a,b and c??
What I am saying is this thread is about why some people are anti dog showing, there are plenty of threads about general dog ownership that are umpteen dozen pages long of what people don't like about some people owning dogs.

LB's answer was in direct correlation to the question of the thread, in no way does that mean people not showing their dogs make them faultless but that is not the question being asked and I pointed out the fact there are other threads on that topic.

It is not a case of people being two faced, showing dogs brings a different element to owning a dog, before you go getting upset again, I said "different", not "wrong" or "bad".

For example, I have a white dog, he gets tear stains (not badly, but noticeable from time to time), IF I showed him that would be a problem, but since I don't show my dog, I don't need to worry. Also he is a Maltese he would have his hair fully grown out, I cut his, so I don't have to worry as I don't show. Conformation well I am sure all my dogs would have non acceptable conformation to the standard of being shown, BUT again I do not have to worry as they are not getting shown.

Yet again like always people class ALL show people the same, all dog owners, all dog breeders, all people in agility ect are not all the same, they dont all treat there dogs the same ect..so you cant really put them all in the same boat...
I see it as a case of yet again, someone is trying to get offended by something that was not said and point out where there is any mention being made of ALL show, agility, breeders people are the same
You actually agreed on LB's original post and you did not like the aspects she brought up also, but, now want to get offended at something that was not said
I will say this dog ownership is not all the same if you want to show, (yes oh dear ) that is not bad, but they are different. It is a choice not a category for ALL but choice is individual and no matter what it is, even in non showing households, it is a specific breed that chosen or size.
I highly doubt any old dog would do and rescues would not be the go for you, clipping them in a not acceptable way to showing would not be the go. Conformation will be looked at by the dog owner, even the best stock may come out with a conformation fault making it less desirable for showing that making one from the same litter not sold on to a dog showing person.
Should I go and see if a sled dog racer wants my Maltese
I helped on a family members property, they sure as don't want my Maltese trying to round up the cattle, that is not bad but it does make it different and dog ownership requirements differ as to the aspect the dog has in there life. My dogs are different to my neighbours, does it make it wrong..........no. It makes it different.
Oh I wonder if people who do obedience want my Maltese, now that would be funny
People want dogs for all different reasons and some breeds won't do, and that is fine, as long as the dog is wanted at the end of the day by its owner.
Showing brings another element to dog ownership, how people use that is up to them, there is good and bad in all aspects of life.
I would suggest before getting offended read the post properly and not going off about things that were never said now I have said more I am sure you can pick it to pieces, take offence to things and take them out of context .
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Human nature is just that, human nature, people can be extremely petty in all aspects of all life.

Not sure why you would think it was free from the dog show world, when it is evident in all walks of life.

But one judge and one exhibitor disliking each other is not going to stop a quality dog from getting its rewards... a dog dog will not be overlooked by other judges, so will still excel in its show carrier.

It does not devalue the show world at all, all it does it become gossip for others to talk over.... one judge cant scupper a dogs ability to do well in the ring.

Of course you are right Jackbox. People can be petty minded throughout all walks of life, and a lot of things are not fairly handled, although to me its the same as the referee in a football match, or the umpire at a cricket match, acting dishonestly when they are in a position of trust and supposed respect. I say to my husband, "but it is only a game" and you should see how mad he gets. Showing also is only a game and perhaps I am too serious minded
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Hang on a minute before you go getting offended oh wait.......... too late. I was agreeing to this statement

See how it is said "those kind of pet owners too"
I believe the word "too" is relating to people not showing their dogs, but calling them pet owners shown or not

my response was

I have not said shower's are not pet owners
see how it says dog owners(not to do with showing) the brackets is making the statement dog owners are people who show their dog as well..........THEY ARE ALL DOG OWNERS I SAID NOTHING OF PEOPLE WHO SHOW DON'T HAVE DOGS AS PETS

What I am saying is this thread is about why some people are anti dog showing, there are plenty of threads about general dog ownership that are umpteen dozen pages long of what people don't like about some people owning dogs.

LB's answer was in direct correlation to the question of the thread, in no way does that mean people not showing their dogs make them faultless but that is not the question being asked and I pointed out the fact there are other threads on that topic.

It is not a case of people being two faced, showing dogs brings a different element to owning a dog, before you go getting upset again, I said "different", not "wrong" or "bad".

For example, I have a white dog, he gets tear stains (not badly, but noticeable from time to time), IF I showed him that would be a problem, but since I don't show my dog, I don't need to worry. Also he is a Maltese he would have his hair fully grown out, I cut his, so I don't have to worry as I don't show. Conformation well I am sure all my dogs would have non acceptable conformation to the standard of being shown, BUT again I do not have to worry as they are not getting shown.

I see it as a case of yet again, someone is trying to get offended by something that was not said and point out where there is any mention being made of ALL show, agility, breeders people are the same
You actually agreed on LB's original post and you did not like the aspects she brought up also, but, now want to get offended at something that was not said
I will say this dog ownership is not all the same if you want to show, (yes oh dear ) that is not bad, but they are different. It is a choice not a category for ALL but choice is individual and no matter what it is, even in non showing households, it is a specific breed that chosen or size.
I highly doubt any old dog would do and rescues would not be the go for you, clipping them in a not acceptable way to showing would not be the go. Conformation will be looked at by the dog owner, even the best stock may come out with a conformation fault making it less desirable for showing that making one from the same litter not sold on to a dog showing person.
I helped on a family members property, they sure as don't want my Maltese trying to round up the cattle, that is not bad but it does make it different and dog ownership requirements differ as to the aspect the dog has in there life. My dogs are different to my neighbours, does it make it wrong..........no. It makes it different.
People want dogs for all different reasons and some breeds won't do, and that is fine, as long as the dog is wanted at the end of the day by its owner.
Showing brings another element to dog ownership, how people use that is up to them, there is good and bad in all aspects of life.
I would suggest before getting offended read the post properly and not going off about things that were never said now I have said more I am sure you can pick it to pieces, take offence to things and take them out of context .
great post Emma, very well said!

i specifically emphasised that i do not think that the things i listed applied to all show people, just some and that it is those people who i dislike... yet BD still said it was sweeping statement i think show people just get offended and defensive when the topic comes up.

there are bad owners in every aspect of dog ownership, as there is in all aspects of life. but the ones that apply to showing will differ slightly in some of areas, to other types of owner, such as just a pet owner, a working owner, agility owner etc etc...
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Im not offended, it would take alot more than another forum member to offend me!

There may well be plenty of threads, but i was just pointing out what some people dont like in the showing world happens in all aspects of dog owner ship..

Like i said, will take alot more than another forum member to upset me!

Thats good for you, I dont worry either when we bring in a new pup..its a case of, if she/he makes the grade brilliant if not,! ahh well who cares? we love him/her all the same!

Offended again!???

Agreed.

Agreed.

Lost me there.

Agreed!

I once saw a Maltese do agaility, she loved it and was great at it.

Yeah i agree

I dont see why you think im so offended! Believe me im not...If putting my views across makes me come across as offended then deary dear.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 11:58 AM
i think show people just get offended and defensive when the topic comes up.
I can't speak for all showing people, but for me it is abit dishearting when people say show people do this and that.
People like us disagree with all the things in the showing world you do to..But alot of the time it can feel like we are being put in the same class as them! and before anyone says anything - im not saying anyone of you said we were all the same.. But it happens...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post

Of course you are right Jackbox. People can be petty minded throughout all walks of life, and a lot of things are not fairly handled, although to me its the same as the referee in a football match, or the umpire at a cricket match, acting dishonestly when they are in a position of trust and supposed respect. I say to my husband, "but it is only a game" and you should see how mad he gets. Showing also is only a game and perhaps I am too serious minded
In the scheme of things a couple of judges or exhibitors not liking each other and being petty when in regards placing dogs, is not going to bring the sport in to disrepute.

As I said earlier , there will be many an exhibitor who will not show under judge A,B,C.. because those judges may not like their type...(everyone has a preference) it does not stop a dog doing well in the ring, its its a good dog, it will do well elsewhere

great post Emma, very well said!

i specifically emphasised that i do not think that the things i listed applied to all show people, just some and that it is those people who i dislike... yet BD still said it was sweeping statement i think show people just get offended and defensive when the topic comes up.

there are bad owners in every aspect of dog ownership, as there is in all aspects of life. but the ones that apply to showing will differ slightly in some of areas, to other types of owner, such as just a pet owner, a working owner, agility owner etc etc...
Not sure I understand that one.

Why would an owner of a show dog differ from a pet one , regarding them being a bad owner..surely a bad owner is simple that a bad owner.

Many show people may do things with their dogs you may not like, such as move them on when they no longer have use for them, that does not make them any less a good owner than you, simply a different type of owner..

Have they mistreated the dog, been cruel to it, starved it, locked in a shed for most of its life...they may see the purpose of dogs differently than you, but that does not make them a bad owner.

A bad owner (regardless of what they do with their dog) is someone who mistreats it , there are far more bad pet owners then in the show world I would think.. how many cases do you see of dogs being beaten, starved used as weapons, never going for walks on a daily basis in the media , almost all of them will be from "pet " owners...

The RSPCA and such organizations are bursting at the seems with dogs that on the whole will have come from a pet home,

You cant separate into categories what one deems a bad owner, its quite simply black and white. a bad owner mistreats their dogs....

The rest is just degrees of a "type" of owner..

I have no problem with people saying they dont like what other type of owners do with their dog, because its something you would never do... but to say they are bad, because you disagree with them is a little patronising in my book
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Not sure I understand that one.

Why would an owner of a show dog differ from a pet one , regarding them being a bad owner..surely a bad owner is simple that a bad owner.

Many show people may do things with their dogs you may not like, such as move them on when they no longer have use for them, that does not make them any less a good owner than you, simply a different type of owner..

Have they mistreated the dog, been cruel to it, starved it, locked in a shed for most of its life...they may see the purpose of dogs differently than you, but that does not make them a bad owner.

A bad owner (regardless of what they do with their dog) is someone who mistreats it , there are far more bad pet owners then in the show world I would think.. how many cases do you see of dogs being beaten, starved used as weapons, never going for walks on a daily basis in the media , almost all of them will be from "pet " owners...

The RSPCA and such organizations are bursting at the seems with dogs that on the whole will have come from a pet home,

You cant separate into categories what one deems a bad owner, its quite simply black and white. a bad owner mistreats their dogs....

The rest is just degrees of a "type" of owner..

I have no problem with people saying they dont like what other type of owners do with their dog, because its something you would never do... but to say they are bad, because you disagree with them is a little patronising in my book
in my original post i didnt mention 'bad' owners, i only mentioned the types of owner i dislike. it was others who started talking about bad owners, i used 'bad owners' in my last post in response to that.

show owners, working owners, agility owners and people who are only pet owners can differ in the reasons in which makes me either dislike them, or think of them as bad owners. some things people do to their dogs, i think is cruel but that doesnt necessarily mean others think it is cruel. i think it is cruel rehome an old dog. so many times there are threads where people think it is horrible because a 'pet' owner rehomes an old dog, so is it ok that a show or breeder owner does that coz the dog is too old to serve a purpose? i think rehoming an old dog when they are settled, is cruel. sometimes it has to be done through no fault of the owner, and when that happens it is tragic. that is my opinion. i just used that as an example as how so people can differ as what they think as being cruel.

there may be more pet owners who mistreat their animals, but there are more pet owners than show owners so maybe if the numbers of mistreated animals from pet owners and show owners who put in comparison to the number of each overall, the difference wouldnt be as big.

ha, you're calling someone else patronising??
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I dont see why you think im so offended! Believe me im not...If putting my views across makes me come across as offended then deary dear.
I think you are offended due to the fact I have to spell out that there is differences of people that show and those that don't.
You are telling me to "hang on" and I am saying show'ers don't see their dog as pets, which I never said.
Calling people "two faced" as there are negatives aspects people pick up on in all dog ownership.
You felt you needed to pick my post on which you made claims of me saying this, that, and the other, which was nothing like what I said remotely.
Oh and this
Yet again like always people class ALL show people the same, all dog owners, all dog breeders, all people in agility ect are not all the same, they dont all treat there dogs the same ect..so you cant really put them all in the same boat...
I could continue but I think is shows the pattern of feelings you had on my post prior to your response. All taken from me apparently saying dog show'ers not being pet owners

To try and unlose you on offering my Maltese to sled doggers it is a point where certain dogs are going to fit into the requirements of what people want them for, Maltese dogs won't be good sled dogs.

I was talking Obedience not Agility, and neither of those two would my dog do well in and that is fine with me.

I find some show'ers try to deflect the negative aspects that showing can bring which are in all aspects of dog ownership and just because this thread is on show'ers, it seems to be a case of 'oh but look at owners in general' which is on a lot of other threads, this one just so happens to be about shown dogs.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I said like always 'people' please show me where i said you had said it??

I am not offended, I know there are bad things in the showing world and like most others i disagree with them....

Why would people try and hide the bad things? Hows that going to help change things??
Page 9 of 36 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »