View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Good, I am fed up with moronic owners getting one of my breeds very bad press.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:24 PM
There is nothing in criminal law that says the police can take action if it's dog on dog attacks/aggression.

What they can do, however (and it laergely rests on how the IP/victim comes across) is prosecute the owner/handler/both owner & handler under the DDA if a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place and another person (whether a dog owner or not) is afraid enough to reasonably think they may be hurt/injured or attacked by the dog.

Unfortunately there is no legal definition of dangerous so what an experienced dog handler would consider dangerous or aggressive isn't what joe public thinks it is.

Furthermore, there is also the standard legal test of reasonableness or the "reasonable man" where basically what a reaonable person would think or feel under those circumstances at that particular time.

This area of law is a minefield and you'll find that in certain areas the police will take action as will the dog warden. In other areas, it will seem that nothing is ever done
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:30 PM
err not WRONG and why do you believe everything you read in the newspapers or radio? thought you told me before its all scaremongering!
so think weve esatblished NOT to bother with the police and dog warden have the powers but need to find the dog as no info was taken
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:32 PM
err not WRONG and why do you believe everything you read in the newspapers or radio?

I don't the records of court proceedings are available for people to see, or do you think they are not a matter of fact?!

so think weve esatblished NOT to bother with the police and dog warden have the powers but need to find the dog as no info was taken

I don't think we have established any such thing!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks so much to all who have kindly answered

Although we don't have names etc, we are still going to file a report - and I'm also considering writing to our local paper to warn other dog owners to be aware.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2011, 06:46 PM
The police definatly can act on a dog sangerously out of control in a publicplace and arrest can be made though that would usually be a last resort. Without going into details i have seen this unfold myself.
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
err not WRONG and why do you believe everything you read in the newspapers or radio?

I don't the records of court proceedings are available for people to see, or do you think they are not a matter of fact?!

I don't think we have established any such thing!
Do you have a link to these, please?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 03:11 PM
The 1871 Dogs Act deals with dog on dog problems, but it is a civil not a criminal matter.

http://www.endangereddogs.com/DogLaw_DogsAct1871.htm

I have heard of people "charged" under this, (for example when a dog was killed) and it was then changed to the DDA s3. At least, that is how the matter has been reported.

Perhaps in this instance again, it was considered that the human was afraid, hence the DDA being invoked.

It is confusing and i wish I understood it more. And I've listened to lectures on it, too
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The police actively put out a search on the owner of the Weimaraners, it was reported on the BBC as well as local media.
you mention local media and the bbc not court records!!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3