Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:16 PM
re the floor surface
Yup that is always a consideration too
Ben isnt super fast, he is careful with good tight turns but I pull him from runs if I am not happy with the conditions
A run isnt so important that I will risk scaring or hurting him
I dont run agility rounds in the rain and when im walking I check where he is going to run too

So even if I made it to crufts and decided to go and was happy with everything there - if I decided the floor wasnt good enough to run on then I would pull out - end of
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Actually - Crufts can say what they like about the reason that the BBC dropped it like a hot potato, and say that the franchise was ended by themselves etc. etc.

The sight of that little Pekinese toiling around the ring whilst struggling to breathe, and then actually WINNING Best in Show sickened me, and thousands like me. This incident sparked a great deal of unveiling of certain aspects of some dog breeders that was less than palatable to put it mildly. The BBC forthwith made an announcement that it would not be broadcasting future shows from Crufts.

Oh - and I believe that Pedigree Chum pulled out of sponsorship for the same reasons, although I have not looked into this one to verify why they scarpered.
You can believe Jemima Puddleduck's speil all you like the facts are

1. The BBC wanted to ban GSDs, Cavaliers & Boxers from appearing in the group-even if the dogs themselves were sound & health tested. The Crufts management refused to do this & subsequently ended the franchise that the BBC had for Crufts coverage. This was actually very popular with the exhibitors as 90% of the coverage wasn't even about dogs, but the stalls & presenters-the BBC even had one of their presenters lying on camera-Peter the Perv stated that the Labradoodle was about to become a KC registered breed ! They employed Ben(aren't I pretty)Fogle & his equally idoitic father-who stated that the only healthy dogs were the designer cross breeds-despite the fact that they were from non health tested dogs !

2.Mars group withdrew Pedigree Chum from ALL dog activities in the UK & outside the USA in July 2 months before the Puddleduck's PDE program. They also sacked all their promotional staff at the same time by e mail-not hearsay BTW directly from one of their ex staff who forwarded the e mail to me.

3.Crufts have super online coverage of all of the Obedience, all the agility, flyball etc etc etc almost as good as the online coverage in the USA of Westminster & saveable so I can watch my friend's dogs working more than once.

You obviously are anti showing-which is your right-I don't like the breed showing as the entry for the judges isn't open-they are dogs someone other than the judges on the day had selected to place.

I presume that you do not shop at any store that sells any of the 1,000s of produces produced by companies owned by Proctor & Gamble ???? After all P&G use animal testing on all their products.

The Puddleduck woman failed to inform the viewers that the two dogs shown with SM & Epilepsy were not bred from KC registered parents(the Boxer is/was from a brother sister mating of unreg pet dogs)nor that the"crippled"GSDs were in fact not bred in the UK & had been fully health tested & fitness for purpose proven by their working qualifications. The Best of Breed dog(not Best in breed as stated in the program)was owned, bred & resident in Germany & had also been World Champion a year or so before. OOps she has publicly admitted that this was done to make the program more sensational !
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
First time visit for me this March , Looking forward to it , Bella is 'working' on the RGT stand but hope to get time to see some of the things Crufts is all about.
Wear comfortable shoes & slippers for afterwards the concrete floors under the carpeting causes no end of footache !!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Wear comfortable shoes & slippers for afterwards the concrete floors under the carpeting causes no end of footache !!
Is that for me or my hound lol ! Only joking , went to Discover Dogs for the first time last Nov and my feet were killing me at the end of the day
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Yep, was just about to say the same.

I know, I agree but it's because of Crufts that this has to be done in the first place! Everybody trying to win prizes and money by prancing their dogs round in the ring in front of huge crowds. Just doesn't seem right to me.

The fact that their top sponsor is a sofa company speak volumes imo.
Firstly you dont get prizes or money for winning crufts in fact the BIS gets £100 a lot less than it costs to enter with petrol.
We dont prance and Iams do not sponser Crufts Eukanuba do!!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:49 PM
How odd to suggest that Peta would have done it if there was no question of ethical breeding at Crufts?!?!?

Crufts started it by letting people run away with aesthetics, not what is healthy for the dog. Crufts caused it.
Do you believe that PETA is pets ??? Er No they believe that ALL animals should be living free & this is why they steal people's dogs & dump them miles from nowhere so they can go feral ! They collect allegedly unwanted pets to rehome & then kill then despite not being qualified vets

PETA are not ethical they are a lunatic fringe multi million $ organization run by people who are equally lunatic
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You can believe Jemima Puddleduck's speil all you like the facts are

1. The BBC wanted to ban GSDs, Cavaliers & Boxers from appearing in the group-even if the dogs themselves were sound & health tested. The Crufts management refused to do this & subsequently ended the franchise that the BBC had for Crufts coverage. This was actually very popular with the exhibitors as 90% of the coverage wasn't even about dogs, but the stalls & presenters-the BBC even had one of their presenters lying on camera-Peter the Perv stated that the Labradoodle was about to become a KC registered breed ! They employed Ben(aren't I pretty)Fogle & his equally idoitic father-who stated that the only healthy dogs were the designer cross breeds-despite the fact that they were from non health tested dogs !

2.Mars group withdrew Pedigree Chum from ALL dog activities in the UK & outside the USA in July 2 months before the Puddleduck's PDE program. They also sacked all their promotional staff at the same time by e mail-not hearsay BTW directly from one of their ex staff who forwarded the e mail to me.

3.Crufts have super online coverage of all of the Obedience, all the agility, flyball etc etc etc almost as good as the online coverage in the USA of Westminster & saveable so I can watch my friend's dogs working more than once.

You obviously are anti showing-which is your right-I don't like the breed showing as the entry for the judges isn't open-they are dogs someone other than the judges on the day had selected to place.

I presume that you do not shop at any store that sells any of the 1,000s of produces produced by companies owned by Proctor & Gamble ???? After all P&G use animal testing on all their products.

The Puddleduck woman failed to inform the viewers that the two dogs shown with SM & Epilepsy were not bred from KC registered parents(the Boxer is/was from a brother sister mating of unreg pet dogs)nor that the"crippled"GSDs were in fact not bred in the UK & had been fully health tested & fitness for purpose proven by their working qualifications. The Best of Breed dog(not Best in breed as stated in the program)was owned, bred & resident in Germany & had also been World Champion a year or so before. OOps she has publicly admitted that this was done to make the program more sensational !
Wont let me reppie you but excellent post.
By the way most of us who show consider Crufts to be just another champ show, some I like some I don't.
Personally I'm not keen on Crufts or LKA mainly because IO loathe the NEC.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:59 PM
God no, I love tricks and fun dog shows etc. A great day out for all, not something I see Crufts as anymore I'm afraid.

Good post! I love the idea of what Crufts ''could'' be, I just know it will never happen because the greed and show biz of it all has taken over now.

I'm strongly against international competitors being allowed to enter. I mean wasn't fabulous willy (RiP) from abroad and handled by someone who was not his owner all in a bid to increase his chances of winning? What is that all about!?!?!?!?
You really need to get your facts straight Willy was born over here and shown over here. He subsequently went to the US and came back for Crufts.
Pidge I really wish you'd check your facts oh and by the way you cant buy Iams at Crufts never have been able to.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I don't think that anyone is disputing the fact that huge numbers of people and their dogs have a great deal of fun, and gain great satisfaction from showing. Also, until relatively recently, many more people loved to watch Crufts which is what this thread is about.

Crufts should be a shining example to the breeding/showing world, and perhaps it used to be once, but no longer. How can it hold it's head high and say "aspire to be a Champion here" when a Best in Show nearly collapsed after walking around the ring at a painfully slow pace and was subsequently declared by a Vet to be almost unable to breathe? (This due to breeding to produce the "perfect" squashed face). Further back down the line in qualifying classes, this may have been swept under the carpet and few would have known - but the fact is a Judge at the most prestigious show in the world declared this little dog the winner above all others. Further revelations came out following the shock of this win...........some judges had been convicted of cruelty to their own dogs; one made the lame excuse that she just didn't have the time to look after them. Yet Crufts use these judges.It is a huge shame that they are now reduced to using furniture retailers - Pedigree used to be proud to put the winning dog on their adverts, but you didn't see them for dust after that damaging year.

They will have to work very very hard to regain the respect of a great many people.
Where do you get your"facts"from ???

Anyone found guilty of animal cruelty is banned by the Kennel Club from partaking in any KC licenced events

Pedigree Chum stopped involvement with any canine events in July 2 months before the program was aired, they withdrew from European dog events too.

As for the "Supreme Champion"(an award that has never existed in UK KC shows) being fed on PC-LOL I saw the owner of Ch Callaghan(Kerry Blue)turn down a 5 figure sum for stating that her dogs were fed on it ! Wendy Streafield at the time was the sole importer of Royal Canin(many years before it was bought by Mars). Burtonswood Bossy Boots another Crufts BIS winner refused to eat PC for the adverts, so PC was piled up at the front of the dish with tripe behind it.

PC used to give away all manner of stuff for the ordinary Championships shows & sold their food cheaply to encouage people to use their Breeder club so their dogs could be used in advertising.

BTW have you ever been in the glare of several spotlights wearing a thick fur coat ?? The heat in the Main Ring is a lot more than most people would think !
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Oh I think not!

Last time I went there were girls handing out poo bags on the way in. Wonder why? In my book a poo bag is the first thing you take anywhere and if it is an all day affair you take a handful.

We used to have a joke about it being so bad!

rune
Most of which were advertising wormers and the like, you really cant win if there'd have been no poo bags Crufts would have been remiss.
Page 18 of 103 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 68 > Last »