View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I cant commend you enough for rescuing a dog out of such an appalling situation.

The poor girl clearly just doesnt know any better and is clearly extremely fearful which is a real danger - especially for such a big, powerful breed. God knows what her passed owners have really done to her.

I can guess what you are thinking -and thats if you give her up to a rescue then she will be PTS because she wont pass any of their checks. To be honest, if it was me, even if she was muzzled, I couldnt have my child anywhere near her. Not even in the same house. Please dont get me wrong - not saying you are putting your child in danger knowingly - you are doing all you can, but its just if I was in that situation that is how I would be.

How long have you had her?

If its not long, perhaps it is something that you can work through over time, but even if her initial problems seem fixed I dont think you would ever be able to leave her alone with another person. Its whether the benefit of the end result can outweigh the risks you run in the process of training and therapy. If you have had her some time but she's showing no sign of improvement I really think you need a professional handler in - someone who has excellent experience of large breed dogs, preferably GSDs and dogs with both human and dog aggression. You dont want some idiot who normally works with toy dogs wandering into your house to assess her!

Now I dont know if this is something that she can help you with, but trainer wise I would highly recommend Jenny Trigg - adolescent dogs, based in and around Surrey. perhaps the residential program is something that you can look into? I know she advertises on here sometimes, you can also find her on [a social network]. Her number is 07734034563. Would be worth a chat! She's very to the point and honest and I really enjoy the methods she uses.

I know you say you dont have the money for a professional trainer but I dont think you have any other choice at the moment. You need someone with an impartial mind to come in and help you and focus on Jordie's issues, otherwise I think one way or another you will end up losing her
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 10:41 AM
NB please note, this dog requires a qualified behaviourist not a dog trainer and that behavioural modification cannot be done in isolation of the owner or home environment.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Yes okay!

Thats what I was saying

I really think you need a professional handler in - someone who has excellent experience of large breed dogs, preferably GSDs and dogs with both human and dog aggression. You dont want some idiot who normally works with toy dogs wandering into your house to assess her!

Apologies for using the word "trainer" instead of "behaviourist"!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by mduffell View Post
I know the best option would be to get some help from a profesional dog trainer but i dont have the time or the money for that at the moment.
I agree with SB on the points she has raised. The money issue can often be resolved as many behaviourists will help where possible when there is a geniune case of need, but the time issue is going to prove a major stumbling block.

Dogs displaying the behaviours you describe and with the history your dog has need a lot of time and patience to rehabilitate to any degree of reliability. There's no quick fix on changing emotions and fear is big hurdle to conquer.

I would also echo what some other posters have pointed out - the safety of your child (and other peoples' children) must be your first concern. Any doubts whatsoever in respect of others' safety have to be your first consideration because you, not they, make the decision to take the risk.

Dogs like yours can be helped, but you must be in a position to help for that to be possible. To be in that position you must KNOW that you can keep others safe and have time, energy and patience to help your dog to overcome the barriers that stop her being a 'safe' dog to share your life with.
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have 3 dogs who were difficult (one dangerously so) with strangers. Are you saying they should all have been killed.
gee thanks. I`ll pass that on to them, shall I?
i can`t comment on you`re situation , maybe you had the time and finances to seek professional help , the OP has stated that they don't which makes all the difference , there are very few people that will offer their services for free especially if owners can`t/won`t offer time and dedication.
i`m sorry but this dog sounds like an accident waiting to happen , she`s already attempted to bite the OP`s son , what will happen if there is ever a time she is successful ? i am all for dogs being rehabilatated but as said previously the OP neither has the time or the finances - is that fair on the dog taking into account her problems ?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 12:09 PM
I think you would be doing the dog a favour if you let him go to somebody who could give him a "one to one" experience, somebody who lives on their own, somebody with the time, the energy and the money to try and rehabilitate this poor dog. Whatever he does, it won't be his fault, but it's a big responsibility to take on when you have a family, especially that boy of yours. I know how much you have fallen for him, but in my own personal opinion, I really don't think he's the dog for you,so for HIS sake, I think you should pass on this one. There will be somebody out there who has great experience with these dogs, and like I said, he needs a one to one relationship with somebody who will turn him around into the dog you want him to be, but sadly, I don't think that's going to be you. Such a shame, how long have you had him now? Did the rescue centre not tell you about all of these issues he's got, i.e. other dog aggression and child aggression,coz to me, these are major issues, these dogs have big teeth!

I've seen my dog attack another dog and it wasn't a pretty sight, it scared the hell out of me, and that was another DOG, can you imagine how you would feel if it was your child? Good luck with him, but I honestly feel you will be fighting a losing battle, unless you move into a separate annexe in your house and spend nearly all your time with this boy.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
i can`t comment on you`re situation , maybe you had the time and finances to seek professional help , the OP has stated that they don't which makes all the difference , there are very few people that will offer their services for free especially if owners can`t/won`t offer time and dedication.
i`m sorry but this dog sounds like an accident waiting to happen , she`s already attempted to bite the OP`s son , what will happen if there is ever a time she is successful ? i am all for dogs being rehabilatated but as said previously the OP neither has the time or the finances - is that fair on the dog taking into account her problems ?
I think this sounds like someone asking for advice. I also think anyone on the internet who hasn`t met the dog should not tell an inexperienced owner to have the dog put down, but to see someone who knows what they are doing and ask them to assess the dog.
Yes, safety is paramount, but it isn`t necessary to kill the dog to ensure safety in most circumstances.
Your dog would bite. Any dog would bite - in certain circumstances. Usually it is the result of poor or abusive treatment in the past.
The Rescues I directed the owners to have huge experience of abused GSDs - believe me. GSDs are sensitive dogs and are sadly often abused by wannabe macho people who use the shout and yank method in order to appear `ard. These rescues have a wealth of experience and will assess the dog correctly - and advise practical solutions. They are not fluffy bunny people, but they know the breed and will help.
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think this sounds like someone asking for advice. I also think anyone on the internet who hasn`t met the dog should not tell an inexperienced owner to have the dog put down, but to see someone who knows what they are doing and ask them to assess the dog.
Yes, safety is paramount, but it isn`t necessary to kill the dog to ensure safety in most circumstances.
Your dog would bite. Any dog would bite - in certain circumstances. Usually it is the result of poor or abusive treatment in the past.
The Rescues I directed the owners to have huge experience of abused GSDs - believe me. GSDs are sensitive dogs and are sadly often abused by wannabe macho people who use the shout and yank method in order to appear `ard. These rescues have a wealth of experience and will assess the dog correctly - and advise practical solutions. They are not fluffy bunny people, but they know the breed and will help.
it`s also fair to assume we don`t know the current situation as we aren`t there so how can anyone know how serious it could possibly be , but to suggest dog stay`s in the current situation where a four year old is present is madness especially a situation where the original poster admits that this dog has attempted to bite this child although 'nothing serious has happened' how serious does it have to be? i`m sorry but human life should always come first above and over the life of a dog and as parents we have a duty to put those children first whether the child lives there full time or not. i`m a realist and it`s pefectly okay to be in 'love' with the idea of saving and rehabilitating a dog , i`m sure all of us have been there at some point and done it successfully , but where one admits they don`t have the time to do so could turn out to be a very dangerous situation for all parties concerned , including the dog. it is neither fair to advise inexperienced owners to keep the dog there until someone experienced enough has the time to go and and assess the dog and it`s current situation. my own breed are sensitive dogs but i would never ever advise someone to keep one in this kind of situation it would be an accident waiting to happen.
as said , if help can be found for the dog then i am all for it , but not in these circumstances , it`s hardly helping this dog nor is it fair on people coming into contact with this dog or the dog itself.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 01:08 PM
I think this sounds like someone asking for advice.

They got it from people who have the best interests of the child, owner, other people, and the dog at heart.

I also think anyone on the internet who hasn`t met the dog should not tell an inexperienced owner to have the dog put down, but to see someone who knows what they are doing and ask them to assess the dog.

I think anyone on the internet with the required skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience SHOULD tell an inexperienced to have the dog put down if the post has clearly indicated the level of risk it poses to a child. Failure to do so would be completely irresponsible.

Further, the poster has already indicated that they have no money for a behaviourist.

But as you have already said, nobody here has met the dog so none of us are in a position to judge!

Your dog would bite. Any dog would bite - in certain circumstances.

But the fact is we do not have the problems that this OP does.

Usually it is the result of poor or abusive treatment in the past.

The reason is irrelevant, the outcome is the same.

The Rescues I directed the owners to have huge experience of abused GSDs - believe me.

However, there is often a time issue whilst a suitable place is found as in any rescue.

I agree with Dooley's post
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I think you would be doing the dog a favour if you let him go to somebody who could give him a "one to one" experience, somebody who lives on their own, somebody with the time, the energy and the money to try and rehabilitate this poor dog. Whatever he does, it won't be his fault, but it's a big responsibility to take on when you have a family, especially that boy of yours. I know how much you have fallen for him, but in my own personal opinion, I really don't think he's the dog for you,so for HIS sake, I think you should pass on this one. There will be somebody out there who has great experience with these dogs, and like I said, he needs a one to one relationship with somebody who will turn him around into the dog you want him to be, but sadly, I don't think that's going to be you. Such a shame, how long have you had him now? Did the rescue centre not tell you about all of these issues he's got, i.e. other dog aggression and child aggression,coz to me, these are major issues, these dogs have big teeth!

I've seen my dog attack another dog and it wasn't a pretty sight, it scared the hell out of me, and that was another DOG, can you imagine how you would feel if it was your child? Good luck with him, but I honestly feel you will be fighting a losing battle, unless you move into a separate annexe in your house and spend nearly all your time with this boy.
I agree with you. The OP has neither the money, time nor experience to deal with this dog. It's not her fault, but sometimes with the best will in the world we have to know when something is not right. This pup needs someone with a lot of time and experience. Unless she is under some obligation to return the dog to its original rescue she would be best speaking to a GSD rescue such as the suggested ones or maybe BIGGSD? am I allowed to mention that? I am sure a phone call would result in them coming out straight away to take Jordie. I hope this works out for both the OP and Jordie.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >