Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:08 PM

Family Forgerys...

Im so fuming with this story now, as it has directly affected me...

Im sure evryone has heard of this, the family made over £14million in forged bank notes.

Did anyone listen to the Jeramy Vine show on BBC Radio 2 today?

He turned out to have one of these notes and in the discussion it touched upon how you can check your money.

I withdrew £200 out of the post office on thursday, spent £100 and was left with 4 £20 notes and 2 £10 notes, I checked my money after the show and guess what, 2 of my £20 notes are forgerys im now stuck with as I cannot legally pass them on!

The post offices wont take them back and if you get on of these foregerys out of any cash point, the bank wont accept responsibility for them, and wont swap them even though they distributed them to you!

Im peeved to say the least, I cant afford to lose £40 with mu hubby's potential job loss in the new year and Xmas...

Do you think it would be bad of me to spent it anyway?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:19 PM
That's a bit harsh hon - sorry to hear this has happened to you. Don't think you should spend them on though - it'll just mean someone - who may be worse off - will end up short instead of you. Be generous, and swallow the loss - I would
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:42 PM
To be honest Vicky, I wud like to not be tempted to spend the money, but loosing £40, when me and my partner live on the poverty line, means a bill goes unpaid...

Were loosing his wage with his job going in the new year so were really stuck, xmas is already going to be about token gifts, not the usual nice things we get everyone, some people will only get a card...

Its disgusting, the post office, a big corperation, which announced big profits not so long ago, should admit thier fault and swap the forgerys THEY gave me, after all £40 to them is a drop in the ocean...

Oooo im so angry!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:11 PM
crikey thats awful ..............i have a tip reguarding £50 notes in the middle at the bottom there is a red triangle rub the triangle on paper and the paper should stain pink if it dosen't its a fake .....ink on a £50 never properly dries

have you checked the note out with the bank ?
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 12:11 AM
On the radio show I listened to today, the presenter actually had been given a fake one, and he couldnt get it taken back at the bank.

Also people were phoning in saying that, they had been given forged banbk notes at ATM's and they took them into the bank which issued the notes and they outright refused to accept responsibility for the notes THEY had dealt out!

You think a flippin bank would check its tender before doling it out...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by kyektulu View Post
You think a flippin bank would check its tender before doling it out...
I think this reaction from the banks and post offices is very poor. You could try paying it back into the bank......
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 09:52 AM
What a dreadful story, its bad enough when you find out you've been short changed, or you've dropped a fiver somewhere but to find out you've got forged notes and no-one is willing to help you is just outrageous.
When this sort of thing happens and, like you and me, there is hardly enough money in the pot as it is, it really doesn't encourage you to be honest, especially when the banks and other institutions are washing their hands of it.
I personally think that by finding these monsters and bringing them to justice the police have saved the economy and the Bank of England from a very red face. I think the very least the BOE could do is to arrange for people to hand the forgeries in to their banks and be given a replacement.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I think this reaction from the banks and post offices is very poor. You could try paying it back into the bank......
Not a good idea if you dont want to lose the £40 if the bank say they are fakes they will take them off you as they are legally not allowed to give them back to you, a bloke in the bank same time as me once tried to pay in £200 and seemed genuinely shocked they were fakes, he said to the bank what do I do they said nothing we keep them cause they are fakes so he ended up £200 out of pocket, he asked for them back and they said no, when he complained about it being all money he had they basically said tough!!!!

Im sorry this has happened to you and from one skint person to another I know where your coming from and where in a perfect world I wouldnt want to pass them on in the real world where im living on beans on toast cause I dont have money for anything else and a £40 loss would be pretty devestating I too would pass them on!!!

I cant believe banks and post offices are dolling out fake notes is a lesson to the rest of us to check the notes in front of the cashier before leaving, but you expect to be able to trust the bank!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
Ia lesson to the rest of us to check the notes in front of the cashier before leaving
Great advice - one problem though - I don't know what a forged bank note looks like........ in fact I don't scrutinise any bank notes. Can anyone here enlighten me?

I have to get £100 out of the ATM today, and I'm nervous of doing it now.....

terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Heres a link about what genuine notes should look like.....

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...rity/index.htm
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >