View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 10:29 AM

Intermittent vomitting (update @post 11)

Hi

I wonder if anyone has any idae as to the possible reason for Tom vomitting

He never seems unwell with it just vomits on occasion and then goes off his food for a few hours.

I have started to keep a diary of when this happens

Last time was 2 weeks ago , sudden vomit and then didnt want to eat in a few hrs he was ok again , then this morning when he woke up he vomitted and was not interested in his breakfast , I made him some scrambled egg as something light and its usually a favourite , he is maintaining his weight and there doesnt seem to be anything else going on

Any ideas ?

Many Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi

I wonder if anyone has any idae as to the possible reason for Tom vomitting

He never seems unwell with it just vomits on occasion and then goes off his food for a few hours.

I have started to keep a diary of when this happens

Last time was 2 weeks ago , sudden vomit and then didnt want to eat in a few hrs he was ok again , then this morning when he woke up he vomitted and was not interested in his breakfast , I made him some scrambled egg as something light and its usually a favourite , he is maintaining his weight and there doesnt seem to be anything else going on
Any ideas
Hi is Tom vomiting yellow bile and does this usually happen in the mornings?

Some dogs get a build up of excess bile when they have an empty stomach and are immobile for a length of time like overnight. This can be helped by splitting the daily food allowance and feeding at least two meals/ giving a couple of biscuits last thing at night.

If Tom is fit and well otherwise and not losing weight I would not be too concerned but if you are worried an this continues to happen a vet check is always advisable.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi is Tom vomiting yellow bile and does this usually happen in the mornings?

Some dogs get a build up of excess bile when they have an empty stomach and are immobile for a length of time like overnight. This can be helped by splitting the daily food allowance, feeding two meals and giving a couple of biscuits last thing at night.
Thanks for the reply , no its not bile and its been at different times of the day , sometimes in the morning , sometimes in the afternoon , thats why I am trying to keep the diary to see if there is any pattern to it , he seems fine otherwise and dont want to start vet investigations unless it is necessary , we are insured so its not a money thing its just I dont wnat to subject him to anything that might not be required
Meg
Supervisor

06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
Thanks for the reply , no its not bile and its been at different times of the day , sometimes in the morning , sometimes in the afternoon , thats why I am trying to keep the diary to see if there is any pattern to it , he seems fine otherwise and dont want to start vet investigations unless it is necessary , we are insured so its not a money thing its just I dont wnat to subject him to anything that might not be required
Hi Tom so what is it then, undigested food? White froth?
What are you feeding and how often?
Meg
Supervisor

06-11-2010, 11:48 AM
we are insured so its not a money thing its just I dont wnat to subject him to anything that might not be required
..a simple blood test can often give an indication of any underlaying conditions and put ones mind at rest that there is nothing serious going on. It can also catch developing conditions before the become serious.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Tom so what is it then, undigested food? White froth?
What are you feeding and how often?
its generally part digested food, and he is fed twice a day , dry food in the morning and same again in the evening with some wet food or homecooked meat added
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Maybe he's having trouble swallowing it. Some sight hounds find it hard to swallow dry food as they have long necks and are used to gulping their food down. Ity sometimes gets stuck in their throats. Guinness has to have his food moistened with warm water and Holly did before him. If we don't he'll vomit it back up. I do hope beautiful Tom is ok.
If it was me I would take him to the vets just to be sure.
Good luck xxxxxxxxx

PS...does he gulp his food down? The other option is to split it into 3 smaller meals so that there isn't so much in his stomach at once.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the advice guys its much appreciated
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi - I would have him checked over at the vets if this continues just to be on the safe side.
Meg
Supervisor

06-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
its generally part digested food, and he is fed twice a day , dry food in the morning and same again in the evening with some wet food or homecooked meat added
Hi Maureen it is difficult to make suggestion about the cause of the problem when so little information is given, how old is Tom, when did this start, has the food changed, how long after a meal does this happen, is Tom peeing and pooing ok.

If it is partly digested food it sounds like regurgitation rather than vomiting. Regurgitation of partially eaten food can happen for a variety of reasons including eating to fast/eating too much at a time/eating unsuitable substances and more serious things like some kind of obstruction and a number of health issues .

Any change in behaviour or eating habits should really be investigated by a vet just to eliminate possible causes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >