Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 08:17 AM

"Informal" dog fighting on the rise

Just watched this on BBC News. Absolutely heartbreaking.

These are dogs who are taken out in public and who are walked.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8288182.stm
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Oh no - heartbreaking and dangersous!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 08:31 AM
incredibly sad, and until they put a much higher sentence for the perpetrators and get the power to immediately seize the dogs from the owners then it will carry on.

its a tragedy for the dogs
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 08:31 AM
sadly I am not surprised.
I don;t agree with they are walked though hun, well not walked in the way you and I would walk a dog, they are usually walked as far as the park where they fight.

There is a well known park in Birmingham where the police are always having to patrol, when we visit patricks mom's I used take ours over there for a bit of a run, but got put off when me and my nephew were approached by two youths who wanted to ''see how your dogs fair against these''

It's a sad fact and I have said this before, the sentence for these people do not fit the crime IMO, if it did maybe we would see it lessen
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
sadly I am not surprised.
I don;t agree with they are walked though hun, well not walked in the way you and I would walk a dog, they are usually walked as far as the park where they fight.

There is a well known park in Birmingham where the police are always having to patrol, when we visit patricks mom's I used take ours over there for a bit of a run, but got put off when me and my nephew were approached by two youths who wanted to ''see how your dogs fair against these''

It's a sad fact and I have said this before, the sentence for these people do not fit the crime IMO, if it did maybe we would see it lessen
No, sadly I'm not surprised either Steph. I don't suppose they are walked the same way as ours either.

I agree, the laws are not tough enough, there is no deterrent and the punishments are never hard enough. Evil scum.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 10:31 AM
this kind of thing really sickens me, how people can do this is something i cant comprehend. tougher sentences are definitely needed...
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 10:39 AM
It seems as if we're going backwards in some ways
We're hearing more and more about dog fighting. I used to let Sam wait outside shops quite happily. Now I wouldn't dream of it. All sorts of dogs have been stolen and used as BAIT.
Maybe its time all breeders had to have a licence and all dogs were chipped.
When you think of the money made by betting on these fights the penalties really won't stop anyone. I think those involved should be made to pay really heavy fines and made to work to pay them off. As things are a few weeks in prison isn't going to stop them
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-10-2009, 01:32 PM
About time we had tougher ownership and breeding laws - if people can't be responsible we need to step in to protect animals imo.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
About time we had tougher ownership and breeding laws - if people can't be responsible we need to step in to protect animals imo.
Totally agree!!!!

Those scumbags shouldnt be allowed to own a slug!!!
I just cant understand, what ANYONE gets out of it??
Something really needs to change, big time!
They should be caught and punished, and the punishment should come down like 100 tons of bricks!

I just feel for the poor dogs that are used and abused for these peoples sick pleasure, and ultimately pay the price.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Hmmmm. Thing is, tougher breeding and ownership laws would probably only cause issues for breeders and owners who are inclined to obey the law in the first place. Same as with a lot of issues in modern society, tightening up legislation will probably just lead to miles of red tape for legitimate breeders and owners.

I'd say tougher laws regarding breeding and training humans would have more of an impact on a lot of society's ills. Obviously it'd entail a lot of hard work and probably wouldn't sit well with politicians as it's not something they can boast about being a quick fix with a view to getting a few more votes but work needs to be done to eliminate the sort of environments where this sort of behaviour springs from and is allowed. Don't ask me how, I work in IT, not Sociology.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >