Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
And what, exactly, would be the point of breeding a litter in the first place if I didn't intend to keep at least one puppy? We are talking ETHICAL breeding here - i.e. breeding for a PURPOSE and doing the best by my chosen breed. If I had sold two I would still have had to cover the cost of the vets bill, worming dam and pups, feeding, electricity costs for the heat lamp, registrations, vet checks - the list is endless! There's not much change from £1000.

Debs
I forgot to add the cost of the petrol doing home checks - I'm in Somerset. The puppy I sold went to Manchester!

When you really start adding things up, even leaving out showing (bear in mind I was showing 6 to 8 dogs at Championship shows to help get the breed established), the costs really do mount up.

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Again you're including other costs, like the price of buying your dogs and taking care of them. All owners have these same fees to covers.
Nope the costs didn't include all of that just the cost of each individual litter. It's just you make even bigger losses if you include all costs!
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
£800 for a Pot Noodle??

Nope :smt002 £800 for a mini Poodle, a well bred toy will set you back about £1,200 a standard approx £700.
Becky
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:41 PM
You could easily argue the £1000 stud fee shouldn't be incuded as you wanted a pup so you would have pay for this anyway, leaving you with £2000. Take out average vets fees, food etc, still over £1500
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Nope :smt002 £800 for a mini Poodle, a well bred toy will set you back about £1,200 a standard approx £700.
Becky
Must mention that to my friend, she sold a litter (2 pups, kept 2 herself) for £450 each inc microchip! Bitch has 2 reserve cc's, I believe the sire is a champion, and minis they are.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't see the logic in that!
Take a 4 pup litter at £800 each, you keep one so 'income' is £2,400. Costs just for the litter will be stud fee, vet fees, microchipping, registration, feeding etc and that needs to be deducted from your 'income'.
To me I see the losses I make as the cost of the puppy I have kept.
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Yes but you added showing fees etc which imo doesn't count. People show and don't breed. Showing imo is a hobby.
But that's your own opinion, which IMO is not the same as knowing through FACT !!!

It's not a hobby to Ethical Breeders who are in it to further their chosen breed. As I said before, there is a reason for it.

People rarely show, without the intention of breeding, they are very few and far between.

Yes I include show fees and all the equipment that gets spent on MY DOGS, NOT me !!

All this is just recouped.

I also work my dogs, to prove they can do they job they were bred for. If I incuded all that equipment SPENT ON THEM, then I would seriousy be in the RED regarding breeding.

The point is, that Ethical breeders spend vast amounts on their pets, moreso than your average pet, therefore when they breed, all they do is recoup costs, not MAKE money.

PFs and BYBs MAKE money, because they spend very little on their dogs, on average just over what your average pet owner spends.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:45 PM
You could easily argue the £1000 stud fee shouldn't be incuded as you wanted a pup so you would have pay for this anyway, leaving you with £2000. (take out vets feeds etc well over £1000)
Why do you begrudge people covering costs and maybe having a few quid over when they are breeding dogs in the correct manner? Providing them with good quality food, care and comfort?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Must mention that to my friend, she sold a litter (2 pups, kept 2 herself) for £450 each inc microchip! Bitch has 2 reserve cc's, I believe the sire is a champion, and minis they are.
Blimey! I was paying more than that for my girls 5 years ago, Wilson cost me £700!
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Blimey! I was paying more than that for my girls 5 years ago, Wilson cost me £700!
Becky
Like I said, I must tell her, she appears to be very underpriced!!

Borders have risen very sharply. 14yrs ago, I paid £200, 2yrs after that I paid £200 again. 5yrs after that (1999) I paid £250, so just £10 a year rise! In 2002 I paid £400! Orey was VERY cheap. :smt002
Page 13 of 42 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »