Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
whistlecraftgsp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2010, 06:03 AM

Seizure

A friend of ours recently took on a 4 year old german pointer who has had 2 shaky episodes in the last week and then yesterday had a full seizure. They have contacted the previous owner and the dog has never had any thing like this in the past. They have also contacted the breeder who has no history of epilepsy in their breeding line. Their vet hasn't put the dog on medication yet as they want to monitor her and they are doing a food and activity diary. The breeder was concerned as the dogs Mum is currently pregnant but feels it probably isn't genetically caused because the dog is older. My friend had booked a puppy from this litter and is now unsure what to do. Could this be a result of stress from being rehomed or something in her new environment?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2010, 06:28 AM
epilepsy is one of the illnesses that gsp's can get
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Our Cassie wasn't diagnosed until she was 3 and had no signs of epilepsy before that time. The vets say that idiopathic epilepsy can show from the age of 2 upwards.
whistlecraftgsp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2010, 05:58 PM
although epilepsy is in some line in GSP's it isn't in this dogs line and it usually comes on between the ages of 2 and 3. We're just hoping that this is a one off with this dog.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 06:01 PM
It could very well be a one off and I certainly hope it is. It's an awful thing to watch as an owner.
KateR
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2010, 07:52 PM
So sorry to read this . My Jack Russell Lily has seizures and is on medication which works very well for her, she has regular blood tests to check that the dose is right for her . Lily`s seizures are due to brain damage following a bizarre accident which caused head injuries but out Vet did tell us, prior to diagnosis, that epilepsy often manifests itself in dogs up to about 5 years old, its called Idiophathic Epilepsy and to be honest, even Vets seem puzzled at to what sparks it off . I hope that this stops on its own , this can happen and wish the dog, and owners, all the best x