View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:27 PM

Help! just found my daughters Canon Ixus camera in the washing machine!

As it says on the tin........one very clean camera, but very soggy! any ideas here folks......have taken battery and SD card out and it all seems dry in there but the lens is part extended and looking leaky!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I'd put it in clean water first and swish it around a bit. Any cleaning chemicals that would have been in the machine will damage the parts even more than water would. If there are any other removable parts take them off, tilt it about a bit and find the angle that allows the most water to drip out and put it in a dry place like an airing cupboard for a week or so... Perhaps turning every few days so that the water doesn't just pool. Whatever you do don't turn it on before then, or it will probably bust the electrics and any chance of saving it would be gone! I've done this before and managed to salvage things, but I'd think that the innards of a camera would be far worse affected by water damage... And even if it works once dried it's lifespan may well be shortened due to the trace amount of minerals in the water that could be left behind, or any rust. Good luck, I hope you can save it, especially since they're so expensive!