Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Sky HD is it worth it?

Anybody think sky HD is a good buy?
We decided to get it (as we got our lovely new tv at Xmas) and the offer at the moment is free hd box with £30 set up & 1 year subscription at £10 a month extra I thought after a month I would cancel the movie channels as nobody ever watches them so it won't really cost us any more.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Ah, but I think you'll find it will! For some strange reason there is a £10 charge (let alone the additional cost of the HD), if you DON'T include a movie package, so I stayed with the movie package even though we didn't watch it, otherwise you pay that £10 for nothing if you see what I mean? Check it out with Sky.

You got a good deal there, coz sadly, when we got it, it wasn't on offer, and then when I got the 2nd one for upstairs, again it wasn't on offer because we already had one, so had to pay through the nose yet again! They will only do this free offer for your first HD box and then you pay, so remember that bit too!

I like the fact that I can tape just about everything I watch on a regular basis, so I can just skip through all those annoying ads!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't be without it - it's fab!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Short and simple, YES!!!! its worth it!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 07:13 PM
ooh cool There was a bit of confusion about the movie channels because we already get them & pay for them -they said we have to pay for them again to get the deal (I guess that's the £10 extra) because if we don't they will charge us a higher price to install. But after a month we could cancel the movies or something like that - I didn't really get it but hub made the call.
We already have sky plus downstairs & multi room upstairs, so the thing I'm most excited about is I can put my old sky plus from downstairs upstairs & record etc.. up there as well as downstairs on the new HD box,which is brill as I like to go to bed early & watch tv so I can record all my drivel up there too
They are coming to install on Monday
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Oh you're the same as me there! I had a multi-room upstairs, so had to record everything downstairs on the HD, then when I go up to bed, there's nothing to watch Now like you, I record all my c*ap on my own without Dave moaning I'm filling his up with all my spooky stuff!! Enjoy!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Yes another here that says its worth it.
Thanks to Helena and the lovely tele this is my luxery as I never go out socially. I love the ease of recording and the detail of imperfections you can see in peoples faces with HD . Makes me feel better about my own face
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh you're the same as me there! I had a multi-room upstairs, so had to record everything downstairs on the HD, then when I go up to bed, there's nothing to watch Now like you, I record all my c*ap on my own without Dave moaning I'm filling his up with all my spooky stuff!! Enjoy!
No more laying in bed watching "How it's made"
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Well in answer to my own question - now we've had it for 2 weeks - yes it is worth it!! Took a bit of getting used to the different layout & harder to see the tv guide than is it on the normal sky+ (but that must be my eyesight!) Also discovered Sky anytime (which I didn't know existed!)
The guy was a bit of a jobsworth as he wouldn't connect the old sky plus upstairs. he said it wasn't on his job list, even though we had asked it to be. But hub has connected it in a fashion so that we can record up there too but only on the channel which is on until he gets another "thingy" then it will work as normal. But at least I can record all my drivel up there in the daytime & watch it in bed There's some quite good stuff on in the day & I never have the tv on during the day.

I think I'm more pleased with having sky+ upstairs than I am about having the HD downstairs.
have also just discovered that our lovely new tv is already outdated now they've brought out those ultra, ultra slim 3d ones....... I'll never be able to keep up with the Jone's
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Yes another here that says its worth it.
Thanks to Helena and the lovely tele this is my luxery as I never go out socially. I love the ease of recording and the detail of imperfections you can see in peoples faces with HD . Makes me feel better about my own face
So glad you're getting the best from it with the HD there Bev - don't laugh, but we had to buy yet another one for that caravan now!!! It's only a 22" though I really rate these Samsung's I think the picture is fantastic, although Dave's in the lounge is the Pioneer, I still like the Samsung!

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
No more laying in bed watching "How it's made"
No, Dave does that bit downstairs at 6am coz he's not allowed to watch what he's taped until I'm in there with him to share it !!!

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Well in answer to my own question - now we've had it for 2 weeks - yes it is worth it!! Took a bit of getting used to the different layout & harder to see the tv guide than is it on the normal sky+ (but that must be my eyesight!) Also discovered Sky anytime (which I didn't know existed!)
The guy was a bit of a jobsworth as he wouldn't connect the old sky plus upstairs. he said it wasn't on his job list, even though we had asked it to be. But hub has connected it in a fashion so that we can record up there too but only on the channel which is on until he gets another "thingy" then it will work as normal. But at least I can record all my drivel up there in the daytime & watch it in bed There's some quite good stuff on in the day & I never have the tv on during the day.

I think I'm more pleased with having sky+ upstairs than I am about having the HD downstairs.
have also just discovered that our lovely new tv is already outdated now they've brought out those ultra, ultra slim 3d ones....... I'll never be able to keep up with the Jone's
PMSL at you there answering your own question, I do that at times, when Dave's got his selective hearing switched on!!!

Yes, because you had a multi room, you now need hubby to take another wire back to the satellite for the recording bit on that Sky+, as the multi rooms only needed the one, so I know what he means, coz I saw Dave scrabbling about in the loft eaves (I nearly shut him in!!! ) and had to ask him what he was up to in there. Well you never know do ya!!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >