Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 05:35 PM

No Squirrels yet

I put my squirrel feeder up on Friday but I don't think they have visited it yet although they were about this morning.

Its in the big oak on the left hand side

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66...i-100_4228.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66...i-100_4204.jpg
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-10-2005, 05:44 PM
they will come Het just put your tent in the garden and wait bit early yet lovely garden though
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Het, I have been having squirrells for ages, but they don't like loose peanuts, you have to get the ones in the shells, or of course hazlenuts they smell those a mile off! They're quite partial to sunflower seeds of course too, and the long fat thing I have for my birdies which is full of goodies too.

I went outside yesterday to refill their boxes and as I opened the bootroom door the squirrel was just sitting in the hedge staring at me, for one minute I thought he might let me creep over and fill it up whilst he was still there, but he legged it up the hedge! Not surprised are you!! I love seeing my squirrells, I know some people don't like them, but I do, and I will always put food and water out for them so that i can watch them every morning from the kitchen window, with the birds, as I have a little bird sanctuary for them outside there too. I just love nature. Your garden is the garden of my dreams, especially with your view from it. Hope they appear soon, you should have it nearer to the house so you can see them better, they are quite funny to watch!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Het
I put my squirrel feeder up on Friday but I don't think they have visited it yet although they were about this morning.

Its in the big oak on the left hand side

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66...i-100_4228.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66...i-100_4204.jpg

Aww thats nice that you look after the squirrels Het, so many people don't like them because of the damage they do to wiring when they get into lofts and things. My mum always has one in her back garden when we visit every week - I meant to take my camera and get a piccy of him this week but I forgot, we always see one or two everytime we visit but the people round there have told my mum not to feed them

In fact we had one at the back of our house this morning although we don't seem to see as many here for some reason.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
they will come Het just put your tent in the garden and wait bit early yet lovely garden though

If I feed them they will come

No tents at this time of the year Fred, its a bit nippy up here now
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 06:53 PM
so many people don't like them because of the damage they do to wiring
Too right they do, and they destroy tree bark and stop songbirds visiting if you are not careful. I disposed of 2 last week, have moved all my bird feeders, highered my fence another foot (not because of Squirrels though) and the ******s are back again!
Dawn.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Aww thats nice that you look after the squirrels Het, so many people don't like them because of the damage they do to wiring when they get into lofts and things. My mum always has one in her back garden when we visit every week - I meant to take my camera and get a piccy of him this week but I forgot, we always see one or two everytime we visit but the people round there have told my mum not to feed them

In fact we had one at the back of our house this morning although we don't seem to see as many here for some reason.
A picture would be nice Foxy, Reds are still fairly uncommon in this area but they are starting to creep in
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Het, I have been having squirrells for ages, but they don't like loose peanuts, you have to get the ones in the shells, or of course hazlenuts they smell those a mile off! They're quite partial to sunflower seeds of course too, and the long fat thing I have for my birdies which is full of goodies too.

I went outside yesterday to refill their boxes and as I opened the bootroom door the squirrel was just sitting in the hedge staring at me, for one minute I thought he might let me creep over and fill it up whilst he was still there, but he legged it up the hedge! Not surprised are you!! I love seeing my squirrells, I know some people don't like them, but I do, and I will always put food and water out for them so that i can watch them every morning from the kitchen window, with the birds, as I have a little bird sanctuary for them outside there too. I just love nature. Your garden is the garden of my dreams, especially with your view from it. Hope they appear soon, you should have it nearer to the house so you can see them better, they are quite funny to watch!
Thanks Helena, plenty of Hazelnuts so I will try that, I put Peanuts in cos I had them to hand. Theres been a queue of bluetits there all day trying to work out how to get the peanuts out Also we had a Sparrowhawk hanging around this morning which unsettled everything.
I do love watching the squirrels though, especially when hey start playing and chasing each other. Try and get some pics of yours.

I always suspected you had squirrels in the attic
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Too right they do, and they destroy tree bark and stop songbirds visiting if you are not careful. I disposed of 2 last week, have moved all my bird feeders, highered my fence another foot (not because of Squirrels though) and the ******s are back again!
Dawn.
Hi Dawn, the stand of trees are a good distance from the garden and with 3 dogs and 6 cats I don't think they will venture too close
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Hiya Het, we bought one of those wooden jobs like yours but they never figured out how to use it and the contents went mouldy!!! So I bought a metal bird peanut feeder and altered it a bit and now they come every day to eat .

Your garden is to die for, those trees are magnificant and the views that you posted the other day are breath-taking, you are very lucky mate and I'm dead jealous
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »