View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 09:09 PM
If you are going to find a good breeder you may have to be prepared to wait a bit more. Often good breeders have waiting lists and will not be breeding so may not have a pup available at the time you want it.
Always good to look well in advance to avoid disappointment.
(example - I have been on a list since August, and the pups are not born yet - also I was not the first on the list!)

Many designer crosses are bred purely for profit, the breeders do not go into health testing. If you do go down this route, make sure you are aware of the health tests needed for each side of the parentage. (Eyes, hips etc)

Also, looking at the 2 you mentioned, anything with 'oodle' added is often sold as non-shedding....please do not fall for that one.

Having said that, you get bad breeders for pure as well.

I have a soft spot for poodles, Minis especially, they are quite a nice size, and have a great ability for obedience/agility etc. They do not shed, but they need decent grooming. I have a couple in my classes at the moment, doing agility, rallyO and HtM.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 09:20 PM
I dont suppose I would get a young dog being inexperienced I have chickens (in arks) and a cat so ill be looking carefully at adds when the time comes for breeds that have been raised among family inviroments. Ive been doing a lot of window shopping so I can work out a price to save up for. I have seen a few non designer dog type for £200 or less but they have been crossed three times like a Lahsa apso, spring spaniel, cocker spaniel mix the pick displayed showed the pups had each inherited one of the above mentioned looks ^^

Ive been recomended so far from other sites pommerainions or the westhighland terrior, the westhighlend terrior is at the top of my list at the moment, King Charles Cavalier appeals to me as ive known a couple in my time they werent my dogs but had great personalities!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Are these dogs health tested, or have the relevent health test for the breed? Selling for only £200 makes me think they are not.

I wouldn't pay below £400 for a pup unless it was a rescue.

Anyways...You may want to read this thread:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=122864
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Westies are feisty little characters. Lovely dogs, but again, there are some people who would cash in on them.

A quick look at prices has shown them going from £400-800 for pups.

I have had a few Poms through training, again great little dogs, I do know one who is deaf though. Poms look about the same price.

CKCS have a fair few health problems associated SM and heart problems. However, there are breeders out there who will test for these things, but you may have to wait.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I think they were insured and de-flead ect but no health tests.

My mum who I live with and has given me the all clear to get a puppy is very fond of the Shih zu and the toy poodle the oodle crosses appeal to me because they seem a bit more sturdy then their pure breed parents.

ill have to check that thread out :>
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
the oodle crosses appeal to me because they seem a bit more sturdy then their pure breed parents.
:>

Do bear in mind that when you get one of these crosses, the puppy can inherit the diseases each parent breed is prone to.

If you end up getting a puppy where the parents haven't had the vital health checks, it can be a nightmare and you can end up with an ill pup and worse.

My cousin has a Labradoodle; she's grown far bigger than they were told she would and in addition, they have to get her coat clipped/cut every six weeks, in between which it looks dreadful, really straggly. They never guessed either of these factors.

Best of luck.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I'm not a fan of toy breeds but I saw a programme recently on MinPins and they seemed to have real personality.
Absolute nutters! I have a MinPin cross and she is a complete menace - never a dull moment though!

With regards to the thread topic.. If you work, how much time do you spend away from the house at any one time? You say you live with your mother, will she be with the dog all day? Is she willing to get involved? If so, how much? Do you want a dog that needs lots of training and mental stimulation or do you want an 'easy' dog?

The above is very important when looking at any dog but especially the more intelligent breeds such as many of the toy breeds. They've got a reputation for being 'dim' because of their stereotype as handbag/lap dogs but be aware that many of the toy breeds actually require a great deal of mental stimulation.

Furthermore, I would urge you not to buy a designer cross. It is a common misconception that they are more healthy than their pedigree parents but the truth of the matter is that they often aren't because many designer cross breeders do not health test the parents. With a cross, you will not have any idea what you will be getting. You could get the absolute best parts of each breed or you could get the worst - it is pretty much luck of the draw. Furthermore, you may end up with a very healthy dog or you may end up with one that has awful hips and a heart condition. You just don't know.

I really do highly recommend rescues. It is a complete myth that all rescue dogs have serious issues. Yes, quite a few have their problems but there are also just as many who don't and are given up through no fault of their own. Furthermore, the plus side of getting an older rescue (not necessarily 'old' but just not a puppy) is that you already know what they are like and lots will already be house trained. Plus, the rescue staff will be able to match you to your perfect dog
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post

I really do highly recommend rescues. It is a complete myth that all rescue dogs have serious issues. Yes, quite a few have their problems but there are also just as many who don't and are given up through no fault of their own. Furthermore, the plus side of getting an older rescue (not necessarily 'old' but just not a puppy) is that you already know what they are like and lots will already be house trained. Plus, the rescue staff will be able to match you to your perfect dog

Very well said indeed

Love the sound of your MinPin cross!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 11:35 PM
i have a cocker and she was my first dog, i paid 400 no kc papers although her parents did have. parents had eye checks which i saw proof off yet suki is going blind.

michael is a collie x sringer i paid £60 from dogs home he was a 4-6month old stray.

house training and training in general was far easier with michael than suki.

suki has only just strated to calm down and is five this year. I only went for a home bred pup this time as my OH wanted a staffy and wudnt wait he had to have his pts. other than that i would go for rescues.
ATD x
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Very well said indeed

Love the sound of your MinPin cross!
Thank you

She is a menace but a loveable one. This evening she over turned my bin, destroyed everything that was inside it and then fell asleep on top of all the torn up rubbish
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >