Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 11:02 AM

Feeding a German Shepherd puppy?

I've been asked to recommend a puppy food for a German Shepherd. She's 9 weeks old and is to be a pet, not working dog.

I considered a large breed puppy food and did think about Royal Canin. I then discovered that the Royal Canin German Shepherd comes in Junior as well! Suitable for pups from 2 months to 15 months of age.

Can anyone recommend this or suggest another type of food?

Preferably something to help strong bone growth as this girly is BIG!

Thanks!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 11:09 AM
how about pro plan puppy, i like pro plan although its too expensive for me at the minute to buy but when im earning a bit more i will have ty back on the pro plan sensitive, salmon and rice
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 11:09 AM
My girl is big and I fed her on Naturdiet Puppy when she was growing up.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 11:22 AM
zeita is fed Arden Grange and does very well on it xx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I've been asked to recommend a puppy food for a German Shepherd. She's 9 weeks old and is to be a pet, not working dog.

I considered a large breed puppy food and did think about Royal Canin. I then discovered that the Royal Canin German Shepherd comes in Junior as well! Suitable for pups from 2 months to 15 months of age.

Can anyone recommend this or suggest another type of food?

Preferably something to help strong bone growth as this girly is BIG!

Thanks!
Why are the owners wanting to change the puppies food so soon, surely the breeder gave them a months supply of the food the puppy was weaned onto ??
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Whatever you use, it is advisable to stick with the Large Breed puppy version as it slows down the growth, according to my vet when mine was a puppy last year (gsd). He said he wanted her to stay on the large breed puppy for a whole year, unheard of in other breeds, but that's what he wanted, and I was using the Hill's Large Breed puppy, but she went off it at around 8 months so I went onto adult. She's fine though!
natalie1828
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I found Wainwright large breed is a good sensitive food and not dead expensive
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
how about pro plan puppy, i like pro plan although its too expensive for me at the minute to buy but when im earning a bit more i will have ty back on the pro plan sensitive, salmon and rice
Thanks, I had one of mine on Proplan actually and she did quite well on it. I can't remember if they have a large breed one though do they?

Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
My girl is big and I fed her on Naturdiet Puppy when she was growing up.
Thanks, but they want a dry kibble.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Why are the owners wanting to change the puppies food so soon, surely the breeder gave them a months supply of the food the puppy was weaned onto ??
They have been given a cheap, supermarket brand food and would like to ensure she gets the best.

Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
zeita is fed Arden Grange and does very well on it xx
Thanks Mel

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Whatever you use, it is advisable to stick with the Large Breed puppy version as it slows down the growth, according to my vet when mine was a puppy last year (gsd). He said he wanted her to stay on the large breed puppy for a whole year, unheard of in other breeds, but that's what he wanted, and I was using the Hill's Large Breed puppy, but she went off it at around 8 months so I went onto adult. She's fine though!
Yes I've heard this too - definitely looking for a large breed one. The RC GSD is for puppies upto 15 months and then adult from 15 months on so sounded about right.
Thanks

Originally Posted by natalie1828 View Post
I found Wainwright large breed is a good sensitive food and not dead expensive
Thanks, however - they are wanting it from me and with Wainwrights being PAH own brand, I can't supply it!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
I would highly recommend Arden Grange puppy. Yogi (GSD) had a sensitive tum as a pup and AG really helped. He (and my other dogs) look fantastic on it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Just to add, I'm afraid I couldn't recommend the Hill's large breed puppy, the kibble was too small and hard, it went off in the hot weather and Zena much preferred Georgie's dinner, so it's definitely not one I would ever use again! I think I'd opt for the F4D one now coz the adult food is so brilliant, in every way, no signs of any stomach upsets for 6 months and no runny, sloppy poo's around here, so it's gotta be good!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >