View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 06:32 AM
I think it can be very instinctive for dogs to chase things that are running and it becomes very interesting to them if/when they get a catch, Louis loves everything but if he sees a kangaroo, cat, rabbits he is off, I don't know what he would do if he caught up with one (play with it would be my guess and wonder why it didn't like him ). My dad's dog is a big hunter and has had to be pulled out of a rabbit hole as he got stuck It would be a case of needing to stay on the lead otherwise.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Myxi can`t be spread to dogs - but you wouldn`t want them eating a sick animal . I`ve always let my dogs kill the affected rabbits as they don`t eat them and the snap of the neck is a quick and merciful way to go - better than the terrible slow death of that nasty disease.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Some useful advice here

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behavio...g-chasing.html

Main points are to stop the dog practising the behaviour whilst in training; change the target and teach a predictive cue.

I've used very similar to this and can call my dog (BSd) off running deer

Hth
Wys
x
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Weirdly yes.... it's the height of the myxy season.... sick rabbits everywhere, unable to smell, hear or see a dog coming
My two tend to catch the odd one at this time of year, the "well" ones are far too smart/fast to be caught out by a pair of dumbos like my two.

The only suggestion I have is finding somewhere else to walk for the time being, I certainly don't encourage it but have come to sort of accept the chase/kill as a natural behaviour which I prevent by walking at the beach or park instead of fields and woods. Once it gets a bit more wintry I will return to my usual haunts.
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
There are a couple of issues here I think. 1) chasing rabbits 2) selective deafness when doing so!

Depending on your viewpoint one may be more of a problem than the other!

To give your dog some freedom but to give you final control you could try using a very long line, a washing line or similar. Best to use in conjunction with a harness and not collar. It is a bit unwieldy at first but you will soon get used to it. (Very patience building as you unwind it from the umpteenth tree!). You can also use it to help with your “emergency down” something all dogs should have. You can also use it to work on her recall. When she goes off after a rabbit let her have a little line and then slowly bring her to a halt (yes it does take getting used to and mind out for your hands). Use the line to apply resistance and not as a means to stopping her dead (unless a real emergency). It does work. If she is off at the end of the line when she first spots the rabbit you can give her a stop command and hold her on the line and then recall her by reeling her in if need be. Cockers are smart so it may not take you too long. (hope I have explained this clearly)
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
As a matter of interest is it a working cocker?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
As a matter of interest is it a working cocker?
I did wonder as well
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 02:47 PM
She was bought as a pet by a friend so not sure about whether she is from a working line. I am told she has very long legs for a cocker, don't know if that helps.I will try and get a picture.

This is the only one I have of her, can you tell from the head?

Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
hard to tell from that angle, she could be a worker, long legs sounds like worker, and unfortunately its bred in her to chase, you either have to teach them to retrieve to hand or a good leave command, the spangles will all retreive any they have causght back to us, except for Mad Millie, who will carry them for a while and then bury them
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 03:41 PM
She is a good girl as she is bringing them back to mum freshly killed and then dropping them on command!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >