Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
The first time a friend's small lurcher caught a pheasant, he swapped it for a gravy bone. I think the mouthful of feathers confused him. But with this dog I suspect it was the thrill of the chase & the catch that was most exciting, rather than the actual pheasant as something tasty to eat.
Now that's the sort of situation I have to force Rupert to give up his prize. Damn dog grabs birds (usually pigeons) out of the air and given the chance will eat them
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki_Ann View Post
So what about training? You ask a dog to sit and in return give a treat. Eventually you don't have to give the treat when you ask for the sit.
I dont teach my dogs tricks. The commands they do learn are rewarded with praise NOT food.

This is the first time (by the sound of it) this behaviour has been observed and so training should start as of now and I don't see the problem with 'bribery' to train a different behaviour in place of this unwanted behaviour. Eventually the treat will not be needed.
You may not see it as bribery but I do. Imagine being in the fields or somewhere and your dog picks up something like a rotting rabbit, you dont want the dog to eat it but it wont let you have it because he hasnt been taught that you can take things from him, you dont have anything to bribe him with, what do you do?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:54 PM
So how do you teach your dogs to give up high value things then? Just take them away by force? If you tell them to drop it and they do then how do you teach them to drop things in the first place?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
So how do you teach your dogs to give up high value things then? Just take them away by force? If you tell them to drop it and they do then how do you teach them to drop things in the first place?
I always practice swaps with high value stuff....(marrow bones...and more recently with Zeff - Lamb breasts)....it has meant that I have managed to call him off some really high value stuff he has found (dead rabbits)..... although he will only do this for me at the moment.
Never had anything to call him away from the stuff outside, but having learnt it, he responded I was a proud Mummy
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 08:18 PM
I teach them "leave" Right from babies. Starts with not going to others food bowls, not touching things that drop onto the floor, not touching the cats food which is on the floor no matter how long its there for. Leave doesnt just mean giving something up they have, it means leaving it when its there before they touch it.

Ive never had a dog that has growled or guarded anything from me, nor would I tolerate that. Quiet, patient teaching from very young will result in a dog leaving anything you tell it to.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I teach them "leave" Right from babies. Starts with not going to others food bowls, not touching things that drop onto the floor, not touching the cats food which is on the floor no matter how long its there for. Leave doesnt just mean giving something up they have, it means leaving it when its there before they touch it.
leave and give are two separate actions here.
Ive never had a dog that has growled or guarded anything from me, nor would I tolerate that. Quiet, patient teaching from very young will result in a dog leaving anything you tell it to.
im proud to say neither have i ,or will i..darn jinxed it now havnt i
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
In such circumstances I would just tell mine firmly and loudly to "Put it down" and they do. It's a command that comes in handy as BD says what do you do if you have nothing to hand to swap, not that I do swapsies anyway, under normal circumstances I would tell them to give and they do but stolen items get the "Put it down" command and that way once it's on the floor you can tell them to "leave it" and you can retrieve it.
I agree with this, I think its a good idea to reward the 'leave' rather than a 'barter' or 'lure' eventually the lure may not be enough. Rewarding 'leave' means a reward for the right thing rather than a swap if you think youll like the toy/treat more.. Might be a good idea to watch over them and do some training while your son is there doing it, so that the dog knows, your all one, if he dosnt do it for him, youll make him anyway lol
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Quiet, patient teaching from very young will result in a dog leaving anything you tell it to.
Well that was a definite problem for me as my dog was a year old when I got him and had already learned to kill and eat other animals.

How would you deal with a dog who did guard food from you? To the point where they would bite if you tried to take it from them? Shadow would leave things if told to before he picked them up but once he'd picked them up they were his. We were told to take them by force and praise him when we got them off him. That resulted in him escalating from mere growling to actually biting if we went anywhere near him while he had food. You say you wouldn't tolerate that but what would you actually do to stop it?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
im proud to say neither have i ,or will i..darn jinxed it now havnt i
Yes I can see that they can be different. When Tarn was doing a lot of work, I had REAL problems getting him to drop things he had caught, like Rats, Squirrels etc.. It was no fun wrestling with him Im talking 10yrs ago now, the more you got irate and shouted, the more "fun" he thought it was and pulled harder! He was the only dog that did this, but when I said "leave" very calmly and quietly he let go instantly, a fluke to begin with, but always worked thereafter. Since then it means the same here, if you have it loose it, if you dont, dont touch it.

Terriers are really hard mouthed, the more excited or desperate you get the more they hang on! Ive found, with Borders at least, being very calm works best.

Wouldnt worry about your lot either.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Well that was a definite problem for me as my dog was a year old when I got him and had already learned to kill and eat other animals.

How would you deal with a dog who did guard food from you? To the point where they would bite if you tried to take it from them? Shadow would leave things if told to before he picked them up but once he'd picked them up they were his. We were told to take them by force and praise him when we got them off him. That resulted in him escalating from mere growling to actually biting if we went anywhere near him while he had food. You say you wouldn't tolerate that but what would you actually do to stop it?
Id start from scratch and teach him to leave things, anything. Even if he didnt want it, something he sniffed for example, on a line so you can guide him away at the same time, then praise him loads for doing it. He would know that leave meant leave. Gradually Id work from there. I havent had an aggressive dog, as I said Id never tolerate that behaviour, I have had adult dogs before and leave is always first on the list.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >