View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 10:56 AM

Tango has been hospitalised...possible parvo?

Tango was spayed onTuesday. She was doing really well, then on Friday she started to poo a lot and it wasn't properly formed.
She had a check up yesterday (stitches all fine at least) and the vet said to just stop the metacam (she hadn't had any yesterday any way).
Yesterday the diarhea started...but wasn't too bad, although it did have a little blood in it. Since she'd seen the vet I didn't worry too much. She had chicken and rice for tea, one more bout of the runs at 6ish then was fine til 5 this morning when she asked to go out. Cue a poo...quite formed, but slimey (sorry) and she was quite quiet.
I went back to bed.
At 6.30 she vomited up her tea...she had vomited 4 times by 8.30 and was becoming dull. She had another lot of the runs.By 9.15 when OH came in, she didn't even get up to say hi.
I went out...and by the time I came back he was at the emergency vet (I had called and takne their only appt at 3pm before leaving). After I left, apparently she had a severe bout of bloody dire rear...and vomited again. Her vomit smells of rotten egg. The vet thankfully clled to say they had a 10.30 just as OH was picking up the phone to say she needed to go right in. She has also developed a bit of a cough.

The vet asked oH if she was immunised (she was done whilst in rescue) and if she had a cough...so I am thinking he has an idea of what this is?? I immediately thought of parvo but perhaps it is one of the other diseases immunised against?
Any ideas?
He says he will update us tomorrow when we see him with Biff (I don't even want to go there so don't ask ). Biff threw up an hour ago so I am hoping he hasn't picked something up....

I am exhausted and worried sick.
Any thoughts as to what it could be??????
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh, Ailsa. I do hope you get some good news soon.
No real ideas, except could it be some kind of reaction to the Metacalm?? Blood always looks awful but its not always as bad as it seems.
Hugs from me and licks from the boys.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks. The vet yesterday thought it was a reaction to the metacam...but she hasn't had any since Friday morning now and she has got progressively worse...so not sure it can be????
Worried sick.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
You must be worried sick

Fingers crossed it's nothing more than a tummy bug.

Gentle hugs xx
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:12 AM
i would have thought if she had been jabbed in rescue, she would be covered, it sounds like its some sort of gastro type bug that i would suspect he has seen around lately hence asking if she was jabbed. I would also think that they've hospitalised her so that they can get some fluid in as in this weather dehydration will be a real problem. Try not to worry she is in the best place, and i'm sure you'll get some answers soon ((((( Hugs)))) Ailsa i know its easier said than done
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:17 AM
hi im sorry,i know how you feel
haemoraghic gastro can be really scary,often the cause is not known it could be parvo,viral or bacterial and of course a reaction to nsaid's
the treatment is usually the same iv fluids and iv antibiotics.you vet may also be thinking of lungworm(thats why they may of asked you about the cough)because lungworm can cause 'bleed outs' try not to panic(i know its hard)but your dog is in the right place,dont underestimate the power of fluids my old boy had this at 14y and lived till 17.good luck and woo-woos from us to cheer you up.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys. I've checked her symptoms online and I can't see (touching everyhting wooden) that it is parvo. I wonder if they have seen similar cases though with him asking about the cough. He said she would be hospitalised for 24 to 48 hours on a drip...so yes the dehydration must be a concern. Bless her, like she' s not been through enough )
I have no idea where she would have picked anything up though...it started on Friday before I took her for her first walk since her op...so I am guessing she may have picked it up in the vets on Tuesday????
Sigh.

So worried.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Hope Tango is feeling better soon and back home with you . Hugs to you both xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Sorry to hear Tango not well. Have everything crossed she recovers as soon as possible.
Big Hugs.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi im sorry,i know how you feel
haemoraghic gastro can be really scary,often the cause is not known it could be parvo,viral or bacterial and of course a reaction to nsaid's
the treatment is usually the same iv fluids and iv antibiotics.you vet may also be thinking of lungworm(thats why they may of asked you about the cough)because lungworm can cause 'bleed outs' try not to panic(i know its hard)but your dog is in the right place,dont underestimate the power of fluids my old boy had this at 14y and lived till 17.good luck and woo-woos from us to cheer you up.
Thank you x
Off to google lungworm now....
I thought that wasn't a problem up north though???? Oh pants.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »