Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 02:47 PM

Boomer ball

Does anyone have a boomer ball for their dog? I've seen them online and think it might be a good toy for my staffy. She loves football, but she pops them in minutes. I read that boomer balls were tough, but as they are auite expensive I just wondered if anyone can tell me if they are any good or not?

She's a very hard chewer and because it says to get one bigger than the dog's mouth I think it might last a bit longer than a normal football
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 02:50 PM
We had one years ago for Biff (who I think has some staffi in him) for the same reason. We took him to the pet shop (the owner is brill) and we got one bigger than his mouth, unfortunately, he could still have a good go at chewing it and when he did it made the plastic vERY sharp and he managed to wear it down, along with his teeth,they are a great idea, but only if you invest in an absolutely huge one. I truly don't believe they do their teeth any good at all though, we threw ours out in the end. Personally, I wouldn't recommend them.Have you tried a big heavy duty basket ball? They can still try and pop them but ours has been going for years.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Fudge has a boomer ball and has never chewed it or popped it, despite going through footballs at a vast rate of knots. She gets quite frustrated with it though as she cannot pick it up so lies next to it and barks....I may end up "losing" it at some point.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I have one...dogs never looked near it. They usually like normal footballs but coldn't have been less interested in the Boomer
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 03:52 PM
What about a Rugby ball instead?
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2008, 04:16 PM
When I worked in rescue, we specifically didn't give boomer balls to the staffies/staff crosses as in general they just found not being able to pick up the ball too frustrating. Play sessions generally ended in the dog becoming very worked up and hyper.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Sydney has the very large boomer ball. Sometimes she plays with it sometimes she doesn't.
She cannot pick it up it is too big and it is very hard.
She has not chewed it because it is too big for her mouth.

She usually will just chase it around and jump on it, growling at it.

I also have an AirKong rugby ball, which she has not burst. This is her second one because the first she eventually peeled the cover off the first - but it took some while.

PS I read about a ball on here recently that would re-inflate I think it was on an agility site - can anyone remember that because I really would have like to have got one.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by RRmum View Post
I also have an AirKong rugby ball, which she has not burst. This is her second one because the first she eventually peeled the cover off the first - but it took some while.

PS I read about a ball on here recently that would re-inflate I think it was on an agility site - can anyone remember that because I really would have like to have got one.
Are the air kong stuff much tougher than tennis balls? My two go through even better tennis balls in a single play session.

I'm interested in hearing more about this reinflatable ball as well; they love footballs - but they don't last too long either. Even the real ones.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I gave her an air kong rugby ball and she managed to destroy the squeaker pretty quickly, although she hasn't gotten into the ball yet.

She found an air kong tennis ball on the field and that lated ages, until my friend's springer got hold of it and ate it in about 2 minutes! I've got her a big air kong tennis ball now and I'll only give it to her if I know we're not going to meet the springer

Well, I found a cheap boomer ball on Ebay so thought I'd give it a go. Will let you all know if she likes it.

She's a really laid back dog, so I'm thinking she won't get too stressed by it. I'll have to wait and see

Thanks x
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I buy the Air Kong tennis balls - they are about £2.50 for a pack of 3 and I also have a couple of larger tennis balls.
She can put a tooth through them fairly quickly so they loose their squeak , but she cannot rip them up at all easily.
A normal tennis ball will last literally about 30 seconds with Syd, but Air Kong ones last for absolutely ages.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >