Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizziblonde
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2008, 06:06 PM

terrier cocking his leg up everythin!!!

we have a norfolk terrier x jack russell who is due to turn 2 on the 31st if he makes it that far!!!

he lives with 2 females is not castraited and is often found to have urinated up strange places within the house?
is her marking his teritory? would castration help? is it cuz he's with 2 girls?

other that this problem he is a fab little boys dog!!
pls help..xxx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Castration may help but there would be no guarantee it may well be the genetic background of the JR. They were mostly small cross-bred terrier type that were used on farms, not really house dogs. That does not mean they can't be happy in a home but stopping the marking could be very difficult. Why not try tardak first and see if that helps, go back to the basic house training and see if the is any improvements and make sure every place he has ever ‘been’ is cleaned in strong detergent not bleach.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by dizziblonde View Post

is her marking his teritory? would castration help? is it cuz he's with 2 girls?
in my opinion....yup!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
in my opinion....yup!
Best try chemical castration first to make sure, one does not want to put the dog through an unnessasary operation just in case it helps.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2008, 05:24 AM
Castration would help in the long term, but only alongside re training. Unfortunatly this has probably become a learned behaviour as well. It should be much easier to retrain after castration, but may still take a few months.
Not sure how long the chemical castration works for but I would suspect not long enough to change the behaviour.
I personally would castrate as apart from this problem it will benefit in other ways as well.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Not sure how long the chemical castration works for but I would suspect not long enough to change the behaviour.
There is one now available in the UK that lasts for 6 months although there is a version that will last for 12 but that is not available in the UK yet.

See this thread http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=86424 developed I believe to avoid the problems associated with castration.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2008, 07:57 AM
I agree with Pita I'm afraid, try chemical castration first, only reason I say that we used to own (years back) a SBT male who wasn't castrated and he used to do it, we took him on as a adult, had him castrated and he still did it. I'd check with your vet ask his opinion about chemical castration as if that doesn't work it would of saved you alot of money Good luck
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi Ali not addressing the castration issue but two things to try which might help , make sure he is 'as empty as possible ' before being allowed freedom of the house ( if he goes out for a walk he will use up most of his urine scenting outside). If he has regular scenting places around the house (providing the surfaces are suitable and not polished furniture) first neutralize the odor with white vinegar, wash with a solution of biological washing powder and finally rub with a tiny drop of olbas oil as a deterrent (this evaporates so will need to be reapplied).