Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Wild Birds.

We put out food for the wild birds all year round, but especially in the bad weather.
We have a visiting blackcap in the garden at the moment and I read in my trusty bird book that they like apples. So when I was in Lidles I bought him a bag of apples all for him. Small and manky looking ones to be honest!
Well now I feel very guilty, I have just eaten one and it was really delicious
Poor old Blackcap may not get many more of them
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Oh you little devil you.

Word will get around in the bird world that your eating thier food
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Hope you don't start on the seed next
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Hope you don't start on the seed next
The bacon rind looks appealing
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 10:46 AM
When I was in the vets the other day a poor ridgeback X was in there as she had eaten one of those coconut shell bird feeders. The seed, the fat AND the shell. She was being rushed in for an emergency op but it wasn't looking good. So upsetting and so odd that she would eat coconut shell!

Nippy, you do realise you have just admitted eating (and liking!) manky apples?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Well mine only get the best - cox's, coz Dave is very fussy about his apples, so out of a whole bag I usually get half left for my blackbirds, they love them. I have a black-cap too, only one blue tit, about 12 blackbirds, 2 robins, one mistlethrush, and hundreds of bl**dy woodpigeons!!! Anyone got a 12 bore???!! I don't like apples, so you wouldn't catch me stealing off my birdies - shame on you Jen, and I thought you were a really nice person!!!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I like Pigeons!! But then I am abit of a wild bird myself ;o)
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Monty eats the bits of bread that fall of our bird table and it really winds me up which just makes him do it more.

We used to get loads of birds as we put bread out everyday and top up their seed/nuts. I really must start making more effort to coax them back, having said that they'll be back when my veggie patch gets up and running
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
When I was in the vets the other day a poor ridgeback X was in there as she had eaten one of those coconut shell bird feeders. The seed, the fat AND the shell. She was being rushed in for an emergency op but it wasn't looking good. So upsetting and so odd that she would eat coconut shell!

Nippy, you do realise you have just admitted eating (and liking!) manky apples?
I know but they were really nice

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Well mine only get the best - cox's, coz Dave is very fussy about his apples, so out of a whole bag I usually get half left for my blackbirds, they love them. I have a black-cap too, only one blue tit, about 12 blackbirds, 2 robins, one mistlethrush, and hundreds of bl**dy woodpigeons!!! Anyone got a 12 bore???!! I don't like apples, so you wouldn't catch me stealing off my birdies - shame on you Jen, and I thought you were a really nice person!!!!
Yeh but I am also very greedy

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I like Pigeons!! But then I am abit of a wild bird myself ;o)
I just love that picture.

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Monty eats the bits of bread that fall of our bird table and it really winds me up which just makes him do it more.

We used to get loads of birds as we put bread out everyday and top up their seed/nuts. I really must start making more effort to coax them back, having said that they'll be back when my veggie patch gets up and running
Hmmmm it might be wiser not to attract them if you are hoping to grow veggies
It's the seagulls here that nick all the bird food. But Mo is a marvelous seagull scarer. She will allow any bird in the garden, but goes ballistic if there is a seagull
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 08:09 PM

you could share the apples with them...you'll just 'start them off' for them so that they can get at the fruit easier
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >