Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
searer
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2006, 05:50 PM

Another rescued JRT

As I wrote in my other post, we have just been contacted by another small rescue group a 6 year (but age is unclear, could be 7 or 5) old JRT, neutered, not aggressive and certified by a vet (and by the vet's cat) as good as gold with cats but... he has no teeth: when he was about 4 (but as I say his age is uncertain, could be that he was 5 or 3) he developed a tooth abscess and his owners decided to leave him at the municipal shelter (claiming they did not have the money to take him to the vet), he remained there 3 months with this enormous abscess (at the shelter they did tried with antibiotcs but they did not have the resources to get him operated) till he developed a mouth and gum infection with fever, difficulty in eating etc.. Fortunately, when he was weighting only 5 kilos and very feeble, he was rescued by a volunteer who took him to the group shelter where he finally received the proper care by the vet, staying at the clinic for 8 weeks. Unfortunately, the damage was so extensive that finally an animal dentist surgeon, consulted about his case, had to operated him to pull all the remaining teeth. He has recovered completely and we are going to see him this Saturday and hopefully (if it goes well with our dog)to take him home. We don't care about the teeth and we know that his gums are almost completely hardened so he can eat almost anything (accoding to his vet) but do you have any ideas about the best food for a dog in his situation (from a shelter albeit a good one and no teeth)? I don't want to upset his stomach feeding him something too rich or wrong.
Also, this time I would like to prepare the house properly so any suggestions will be very welcomed.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi searer you certainly like a challenge , well done you for giving these dogs a second chance ...

Regarding food a lot of dogs don't chew food too well anyway so he may manage dog food.

If in doubt feed a soft diet that is easily digested ..things like boiled rice and fish or chicken with a few lightly steamed well chopped vegetables and eggs occasionally . If he is ok with wheat (some dogs have wheat allergy ) you could substitute pasta for the rice sometimes.

My dog lives on this diet, she has a problem with a broken tooth, it doesn't seem to hurt but she can't have it removed because she is 16 and has a bad heart so the vet won't give her an anaesthetic .

For crunch I give her rice cakes with no salt , the round white biscuit type ones , they are crisp but dissolve easily. Good luck with your new little dog
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I would say raw minced meat and the pulp from juiced veg/fruit and rice. I would try it anyway and see if he was any good on it. He can't eat bones, so a bonemeal powder added to this would be good.

Well done for taking on a hard-to-rehome type dog, I hope he brings you many smiles in the years to come.
searer
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Actually the adoption did not go through: the dog was so scared of us that he would not even come near us (my husband and me went in to the shelter to meet him separately) and when we went with my dog for a short walk on a nearby field he was constantly trailing behind the lady of the rescue who has saved him, nursed through all the operations and visits him twice a day (she also pays for his keep). Besides, my dog (that is usually very sociable, I know only of another dog she does not like) hated him at first sight, fur raised and showed him (quietly, not growling but still...) the teeth when he tried to sniff her. So it was quite unsuccessful for us but very good for the dog as the lady decided on the spot that he is unadoptable, only her can take him and took him home with her.
We came home a little depressed but contented with doing the right thing for our family and still willing to look for and hopefully find the "perfect" (reasonably so) dog for us. To continue...
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Thats a shame for you, but sounds like its worked out well for the poor little dog in the end. It sounds like he has become so attached to that lady, he may of pined for her.

I'm sure some little dog is out there somewhere just waiting for you....
searer
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Thank you, we did feel a little rejected (my husband and me, not my dog) but it worked out well for him.