Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2006, 08:31 AM

Scared of the Dark (with update)

Last weekend we went to a wedding in Wales and at about 10pm they had a huge fireworks display out in a paddock to celebrate. We were inside but Jonah could still hear the bangs. He went absolutely ballistic and then spent the next couple of hours shaking, trembling and panting - very upset. We stayed with him but it still didn't calm him down.

Now we are back at home and he absolutely refuses to go out for his evening walk - he is fine with the morning one so its obviously the dark. Even when he's in the house and it gets dark he starts trembling and looks to hide under a bed.

Any suggestions on how we are going to overcome this - he's normally ecstatic to go walking at any hour but apart from only daylight walks, we don't want to see him freaking out as soon as night falls.

Thanks for any help!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Oh dear poor Jonah, Think all us new doggy owners are going to be going through thison th 5th of November

The only advice I can give it to make evening walks really exciting and fun. Get him out there before dusk and start playing and totally take his mind off the fact it is getting dark, take pleanty of treats and do not re-enforce any fear of the dark he may have at this point, if he looks scared or anything you have to keep walking as normal and do not back down.

Hope this helps.
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Thats great advice - thats what we'll do - take him out just before dusk, have fun and be on our way home at dark - if we do this gradually hopefully he'll forget about being scared. Am dreading Nov 5 - will just get over this and it will start all over again!

Thanks Dobiegirl!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

21-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Oh dear poor Jonah, Think all us new doggy owners are going to be going through thison th 5th of November

The only advice I can give it to make evening walks really exciting and fun. Get him out there before dusk and start playing and totally take his mind off the fact it is getting dark, take pleanty of treats and do not re-enforce any fear of the dark he may have at this point, if he looks scared or anything you have to keep walking as normal and do not back down.

Hope this helps.

I would agree with the above, but before the 5 November perhaps it would be advisable to get a plug in DAP , it releases calming vapours. I personally have not used this but I have lots of friends who's dogs are really scared of fireworks and it has worked for them. Hope you get the walks problem solved poor boy.
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks for that - I've heard of DAPs - mixed reports but it might be worth a go if he keeps this up - I can't bear seeing him so anguished! I need to find a sound-proofed music studio for 5 Nov!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi Kiwijan I would agree with all the above but would add a few things if I may..
I am sure you aren't but don't let anyone try to force Jonah to go out that will increase his fear , he will need to build up his confidence again slowly .

You need to go out at dusk and play whenever you can to try to reinforce the fact that dark is ok.

Maybe consider getting a sedative from the vets if you know there are going to be fireworks around, also prepare for them...
..take Jonah out to relieve himself early before they start,
..take him with you to the room in which he has his bed, make him comfy and maybe give him a Kong if he has one,
..draw the curtains, put the radio or TV on loudly and hardest of all do not try to comfort him if he is afraid you will reinforce his fear and make him think there really is something to be afraid of. Instead adopt a bright and cheerful voice .... this won't stop him being afraid but it may help a little.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by kiwijan View Post
Thats great advice - thats what we'll do - take him out just before dusk, have fun and be on our way home at dark - if we do this gradually hopefully he'll forget about being scared. Am dreading Nov 5 - will just get over this and it will start all over again!

Thanks Dobiegirl!
No probs kiwijan, I have sent you a PM with a link to the cheapest DAP I could find. I have ordered mine now in preperation...
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks so much for your replies - everything very helpful. We both just hate seeing him so upset. We haven't been forcing him out - last night we got him off the driveway onto the pavement but he was terrified and would go no further so we came back inside. Will do everything you said Minihaha and especially try to keep our voices cheery and normal on Nov 5. Will think about a sedative from vet - what do you think about Rescue Remedy (Bach Flowers) - wonder if its worth giving him 4 drops (like humans) of that? I think you're right - just need to work on getting his confidence back now - he's only 17 months so still a pup really!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Kiwijan Jonah is such a sweet Little chap, I hate to think of him being so scared Fireworks seem to be so loud these days and they make me jump, heaven knows what they sound like to a small dog with acute hearing..

I have never had any success with rescue remedy though others swear by it, it might be worth having a word with your vet so that you can keep something in the house just in case. I don't like to give drugs unnecessarily but in Jonahs case because he has had such a nasty fright it might be an idea.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 03:02 PM
I know just how you feel

Our pup was frightened by wedding fireworks and pulled my 18 year old daughter over, ran off into the night and wasn't found until the next day - terrified, soaking wet but at least alive and unharmed physically.

Since then he has been frightened of loud bangs once it gets dark. At first he wouldn't go out in the garden at all at night time but would run and hide as far away from the back garden as possible. I had to put him on his lead to take him into the garden for a last wee at night.

I started off by leaving him indoors and I would go and sit outside in the dark just quietly talking so he could hear me out there. After a week or so he came out to join me and I just gave him a quick pat and a treat and said something like hello old fella and then I ignored him. If he was spooked by something I didn't say anything but just waited for him to rejoin me and repeated the above process.

It has taken months to get him to the stage where I can now take him out in the dark but he is still quite unsure. He bounces around waiting for me to put his lead on and will walk willingly beside me but is very alert and watchful. I have decided that I am not going to walk him after 6pm until the new year as it has taken a lot of work to get him this far and I don't want to risk being out and about now that we are getting closer and closer to firework season ( although it seems to open season all year round now).

Our dog is now a year old and is a large Golden Retriever so I doubt very much if I would be able to hold on to him if he was panicked so won't take the risk. It is very annoying that he has to miss out on his evening walk but I am just not prepared to take the risk.

Let your dog get used to being outside in the dark in his own time, don't make a fuss of him if he gets frightened and I am sure your patience will help him over this in time.

Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >