View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Big no to age limits! That's the easy way out that punishes those foolish enough to worry about regulations, i.e. those who could be considered responsible.

If an individual or group is not behaving in an acceptable manner then this should be reported and they (Or their legal guardian/s.) should take the consequences. Obviously, this isn't as easy for the authorities as slapping another nanny state law on us.

You'll notice the above is in general terms. IMHO, it should apply to everything, not just dog ownership/control.

There, got that off me chest!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by ss_fraser
please note:

The Dangerous Dogs Act also made it illegal to own a Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, or Fila Braziliero unless the dog is neutered, insured and has a transponder implant and a certificate of exemption confirming this. They must also always be muzzled in a public place and kept on a lead by someone who is over the age of 16
Maybe its just me, but i can't see any relation this post has too the thread, maybe the age part but whats the DDA got too do with anything that were are 'discussing'?
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2006, 10:23 AM
i let my boys 10 , 13 walk ella as there very responsile with her and no what area to avoid etc . but no way would i let them have a pet , the over all responsilbilty is mine
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Luke
Maybe its just me, but i can't see any relation this post has too the thread, maybe the age part but whats the DDA got too do with anything that were are 'discussing'?
But since it did get mentioned, I think most sane people would agree it goes firmly into the 'nanny state' category. Nuff said!

Ella's Mum, I'm guessing that as you say overall responsibility is yours, any walking that goes on is supervised. I know I wouldn't let my boys out with Jake (Similar age) on their own. Not because of what they'd do, but in case a situation outside their control arises.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2006, 10:32 AM
How awful for you, you must have been so upset. I do hope your pup is okay and doesn't develop a thing about teenagers. Hope you are okay too.
Some people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs, regardless of age. I agree with the previous posts, you really should report this, before someone gets hurt, canine or human!
I have to admit, I've seen more idiot adults out with dogs than idiot kids and the idiot kids I have seen are probably related to idiot adults! Responsible adults and dog lovers will (hopefully?!!!) have responsible kids etc. It is a worry about kids not being able to handle a situation ( imagine another teenager coming across the thugs with the dog!) but you have to trust them in the end! I have no idea at what age though. my nephew walks our dogs when they stay at his house when we're away and has done so since he was 15. He's sensible and responsible ( but don't tell him I said that!) Not sure how he'd cope with the thugs though, but to be perfectly honest, he'd probably cope better than me!!!!!!
My son is 5 and obviously doesn't take the dogs out on his own, but he's tall and strong and relatively sensible so to be honest I can see him out and about with a dog by the time he's 13 or 14. My hubby used to walk MILES with his dogs when he was a teenager...
As a matter of interest Guide Dogs say no-one under the age of 16 is allowed to walk the pups unsupervised...
Sorry for waffling just sooooo upset and thinking aloud!!!!!!
Hope you are all okay.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 12:40 PM
yeah 16

i used to walk my dog at 9+ but i still think it shoud be 16 - unless with an adult i am also the registered ownr of 2 dogs - one i was the owner at 9 - the other now at 19

i also think dogs should have a lisence
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi Suze.

Did you mean you became the registered owner of your first dog at 9 years of age?
Just out of interest, what was the procedure that made you registered?
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Haha, lots of old threads being brought back up

I don't feel there should be an age limit on walking a dog. People are often saying how bad it is that teenagers are hanging around the streets or lounging around all day, so why take away something that will get many of us out of the house? I'm under 16, and the two dogs are my responsibility. When I get in from school, rather than watching TV for hours I take the dogs for a walk, and instead of hanging around at night I take them to training classes. Rather than spending my money on alcohol and getting drunk, I spend it all on the dogs! Surely this is a good thing?

If something like this did become law, it wouldn't be the teenagers that have the dogs as a status symbol, or can't control the dogs, that take note of it. It'll be the ones that a responsible with their dogs that obey the law.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Hi Suze.

Did you mean you became the registered owner of your first dog at 9 years of age?
Just out of interest, what was the procedure that made you registered?
kennel club - i am the registered owner of one of the dogs (so i am told)

i am the registered owned (im positive!) of millie - shes registered on the activity register
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Ah, thats interesting to know. i didnt know you could register a dog with any organisation by a young child.
have you had them microchipped registered to you as well?

what's the activity register?

edited to say: someone else just asked me a good question to ask you:
when you were 9, were allowed to fill out and sign your own form, or did your parents have to counter-sign it?
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >