Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
coco716
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2009, 08:43 PM

Tranquilizers

I just came home from Thanksgiving holiday with my family. I have to bring my Bichon when I go as I will at Christmas also.

He is very agressive, and has severe anxiety. Is there some light meds I can give him to keep him calm.

Can I give me a small dose of childrens benedryl possibly, just to take the edge off. We had to keep him on a leash all day and night. Eating dinner was a challenge and the entire trip was very stressfull for all of us including my dog.

I have to do this again at Christmas and want to be able to enjoy my family without worrying that my dog is also stressed.
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Well. I am currently IN thanksgiving dinner- my OH is american..........and i want tranquilizers too

FOR MYSELF!!!!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
Well. I am currently IN thanksgiving dinner- my OH is american..........and i want tranquilizers too

FOR MYSELF!!!!!

unfortunately more often than not, your dog will become more stressed and feeling strange with it, imo not a good idea especially if he is aggressive as well,look to other ways to ease the situation for both of you.
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Sorry!
on a more serious note.......
Is there some nice quite place that you can put him away from the masses, with a nice big bone, a bed and some toys?
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2009, 01:48 AM
How weird that you brought this up as I talked to the behaviourist this evening who suggested that my poor boy might benefit from some vet meds that would relax him for a couple of months while we're doing our desensitisation and counter-conditioning work....but then he's not completely relaxed at home while yours just looks like he's reactive/scared when in different environment than usual.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 08:51 AM
There is a doggie tranqilliser, but the effects are a bit unpredictable. The dog can `fight` them and get quite distressed. Really they need to be given in a controlled environment IMO. I wouldn`t use them for this.
Can you not use a house-sitter or board your dog?
I wouldn`t give any `human` medication without checking with a vet.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 09:18 AM
My staffie is terrified of, fireworks, thunderstorm etc, any really loud continious noise really....this is what my vet perscribed and they work really well.....

http://www.vetinfo.com/xanax-dogs-anxiety.html
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Does keeping him in a soft cage with his bed in it stress him. Personally I'd get him used to sleeping in a cage with the door open & feeding in there too. Yhen when you are away he cam be in his cage with the door shut when the festivities get too much for him. I'd also discuss medication with your vet, but you need to try it before Christmas as different treatments suit different dogs & you may need to try two or three to find the right one.