Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dancersmomdmd
New Member!
Female 

08-05-2013, 11:35 AM

I'm a new member today .... sudocrem on feet

I want to know if you can safely & effectively use sudocrem on dogs. My dog licks her feet because of allergies. Someone suggested Sudocrem to help them heal. If my dogs licks the sudocrem I put on her paws, is it ok?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 11:50 AM

Hi and welcome from me too.

Post your question in the Dog Health section!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Hi there.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Hello Diane welcome.
What does your vet say,have you been prescribed any medication for the allergies. Rather than putting cream on the feet I would be looking for the cause of the allergy and treating that starting with looking at the food you feed /cleaners you use/ etc.
dancersmomdmd
New Member!
Female 

08-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hello Diane welcome.
What does your vet say,have you been prescribed any medication for the allergies. Rather than putting cream on the feet I would be looking for the cause of the allergy and treating that starting with looking at the food you feed /cleaners you use/ etc.
The vet says the allergies are "airborne" & seem to strike her mostly in the spring when it's windy here in So. Fla. I give her a Benedryl each day. When it gets really bad, a couple of times a year, she goes on an antihistimine & light steroid script. But, alas, she still gets red paws from licking them. Someone posted that they use Sudocream, so I thought I'd ask if it is safe & effective to use on her paws ..... it does say topical use only & do not ingest. But some people do use it ...
dancersmomdmd
New Member!
Female 

08-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by dancersmomdmd View Post
The vet says the allergies are "airborne" & seem to strike her mostly in the spring when it's windy here in So. Fla. I give her a Benedryl each day. When it gets really bad, a couple of times a year, she goes on an antihistimine & light steroid script. But, alas, she still gets red paws from licking them. Someone posted that they use Sudocream, so I thought I'd ask if it is safe & effective to use on her paws ..... it does say topical use only & do not ingest. But some people do use it ...
Also, we feed her only venison protein food, no corn or other proteins.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Hi Diane sorry, I really wouldn't like to say if it is 'safe and effective' to use Sudocream on your dog.
It may be of help or it may make things worse if she happens to be intolerant of any of the ingredients which are...
Ingredient % (w/w) properties
Excipients 79.2% water-repellent base
Zinc oxide, EP 15.25% astringent, soothing, protective
Lanolin (hypoallergenic) 4.00% emollient
Benzyl benzoate, BP 1.01% pesticide
Benzyl alcohol, BP 0.39% mild anesthetic, disinfectant
Benzyl cinnamate 0.15% antibacterial, antifungal
If the problem is air born it is probably due to pollen and I would rinse your dogs feet in warm water when she has been out to remove any pollen residues.
I would also try to distract her when she is nibbling her feet .

I guess you could try the cream on one paw and see how it goes
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Use a saline solution to bathe her feet in twice a day. Let dry naturally. Quarter teaspoon salt to 2 pints of water. Our Boxers get itchy from spring right through to autumn. They are allergic to,grass in the growing season.

I wouldn't use sudocreme on her feet where she can lick it off. Also it's a barrier and i would be concerned that it might inhibit the sweat glands in the feet from working properly.

Are you by the sea by any chance.? Sea salt is very good for soothing itchy feet
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2013, 02:17 AM
I'm with Velvetboxers here: Sudocreme is pretty okay as a fairly benign moisturiser, but I wouldn't eat it. For softening irritated pads, you could try a light olive oil or a (food grade) vitamin E oil. Gentle baths will help: a light, warm saline water and a nice towel dry.

Sounds awful, doesn't it? A foot wash with an oil massage.