Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-10-2011, 10:02 AM

Where to start with showing ??

I am not sure if this is in the right section ...

Where would you start in the world of showing dogs .

Example..
You have an 8 week old pup from show lines and a thirst for knowledge ..
Where would be your first port of call ?
Breed clubs?
Breed shows?
Breeders themselves ?
Even if its just someone to tell you honestly your wasting your time as your dog doesn't conform..
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I'd start with the pup's breeder. They (IME) are like walking textbooks when it comes to knowledge about showing their dogs.

Then I'd approach the breed clubs where there will be others with a wealth of experience, not just in showing but in owning the same breed as the pup in question.

If completely green and never shown a dog before, get as much advice as possible first. Then take the pup (I think a pup can go to a show at 4 months just to get used to it - but I may be wrong (KC shows)) to the smaller shows. There are plenty of fun/novelty shows about where the pup can get used to lots of people and dogs milling about.

Then move onot the larger shows and breed shows, maybe companion shows too. Then finally move onto the champ shows which is where you'd be looking for a decent placing to move forward if it's with a view to showing at Crufts and the larger international shows.

Additionally as the dog grows, ou may get it involved in agility, flyball, obedience, HTM, WT so there are shows and competitions for these also but are very different tot he shows where dogs have to stand and look pretty then run around the ring once or twice.

For the type of shows where this happens, all the hard work has been done by the breeder. You would just have to get your dog to stand proeprly (according to the breed standard etc) and to be looked over by a judge.
for the activity type shows you as the owner have to do a tremendous amount of work with the dog to get him/her to a level where they can compete at a decent level.

So I think the answer to your question firstly is to start with the smaller shows where it doesn't matter if the pup is placed. I'd then enter the pup for as many as I could as "not for competition" to get them used to it. Then just go on from there. But I think it depends on what you want out of showing to begin with.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Once you've done your groundwork and purchased your pup you need to find a good ring training class. You will find lots of help there. Preferably go to more than one (not in the same week) to get pup used to different people, dogs and venue.

It doesn't matter what your first show is if you have a good pup! Taz's first show is Manchester Championship show in January 2012!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Your dog's breeder & ringcraft should be your first point of call but depending on breed you may need a breed ringcraft.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Knowledgeable Ring Craft classes can be hard to find-depending on what breed you have. Some breeds are better off with breed specific ring craft-like GSDs(unless you have the English type).

I have always done some Obedience training with all my dogs(Beardies, Border Collies Cavaliers & GSDs)& instead of doing a sit at heel I teach a free stand. Once they have learnt conformation showing moves I then do proper Obedience.

Companion shows are ok for experience, but the judges don't always have experience going over dogs so you have to be careful with young inexperienced dogs. Limited shows are better as they are run on exactly the same rules as Open & Champion Shows just on a lot lower scale & are usually great fun-wins at these shows don't count for anything at Open/Championship shows so don't disavantage dogs for things like Junior Warrants etc
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 04:53 PM
I started showing because I went to a ring craft/obediance class.

I met aperson from a breed club who encouraged me to enter a show.

Now I know the encoaragement was not because my dog was good confirmation wise but to fill the entry numbers.

I shoed my dog for about two years and and learnt so much I was kind of glad I was not learning with the best dog confirmation wise.

Best advise came from some of the most unexpected sources.

So I would say just get out and do it.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2011, 05:16 PM
I would start before I purchased a pup. You need to do your reserach into the breed of your choice go and watch them in the show ring and then select a breeder who is producing the goods.

You need to tell the breeder that it is your intention to show your puppy and they will help you select a promising pup. If you dont say this and the breeder thinks you want a pet, you may well end up with a really nice well bred healthy pup, but one which is not really a show prospect. Not all puppies in a litter are potential show champions.

You may have to wait for a decent pup so put your name down with the breeder. Dont mess them about by putting your name down with lots of breeders as it will not help your case - you need to be focussed. Your breeder is an invaluable source of information and support.

If you already have your pup, you need to speak to the breeder. If the breeder is unable to assess the puppy and point out the good and bad points, then you have gone to the wrong breeder and the pup is unlikely to be show quality, I have to say that unless you have specifically stated you wish to show, again a good breeder is unlikely to have let you have their best show prospect. Their puppies are likely to be in demand and their best ones snapped up.

However, there is always the one that got away - and it does happen ! I do know of a couple...

THalice's Mum

K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Ive practically got Leadstaffs on speed dial now. I really cant thank her enough, I owe her so much. Without her Id really be scratching my head

She helped me find ringcraft and has been helping me with training, classes, schedules, rules, entry and small things such as to remember a clip for your number (she even gave me one lol) etc.

If you can find someone near you like that your well on your way, Ive been really lucky

As a total newbie myself and talking from experience, ringcraft is defintately the best place to start, the trainers and the other members are always helping and giving advice and you watch and learn. Its hard in a mixed breed ringcraft sometimes though as all breeds do things slightly differently so going to watch shows is a must too. I am looking forward to the Midland counties at the end of the month