Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2010, 10:41 AM

Lameness after exercise!

Ok, Bandits in the wars again, over the last couple of weeks or so, its happened 2/3 times now... after a paticulary exuberant run..(sometimes he goes completey mad) he has been coming home, lame, on his left foreleg... my guess is its the shoulder.

He did it yesterday, has a mad run, and by the time he got home, he is dog lame, on the front left... it does wear off after a while, (the last time it was two days) but gradually get less severe..

Luckily I have some metacam in so gave him a tablet yesterday, and today he is much better, but he has not gone for his run, (he did not want to) he will go for a lead walk later.

Now we do have to go to the vets next week anyway for their jabs... also have a list of a few things , I think Millie has "vaginitas again we have just got back from Egypt after a week, and noticed she is leaving signs of it on the furniture ...anyway back to Bandit.

Will speak to Will about his shoulder next week and see what he suggests... I dont think it is anything serious (like cancer) other wise it would be ongoing (do you think) not intermittent??

Dont really want to put him through a GA for x rays if its not necessary, but will do as Will suggests..I am wondering if its just an other set in of Arthritis combined with old age, ??

My thoughts are to ask Will if I can keep some pain relief in at home to give when necessary,

Now comes the dilemma part, if it is simply arthritis, and exersice related, what do you do??

He enjoys his free running so much, do you stop it, restrict him or allow him to carry on doing what he loves?? he is an old man, 10 yrs (for a Boxer we are doing great) do I make him miserable by not allowing him to do what he loves, or do I allow it and deal with it as and when it happens???

Not many Boxers get over the 10 mark, so I know every day we have with him now is a day to be cherished.. so this is my dilemma,

Obviously , all will depend on what the vets diagnose,, as to how we deal with him, but just wondering what your thoughts on this.

Do we be cruel to be kind or do we allow him to enjoy his exersice.???
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Have you considered acupuncture? I know some people don't believe in complementary medicine but it really worked for Loki when he had tendonitis in his shoulder. Lead walks were getting him down, so we tried it, it wiped him out totally for a day and he woke up a new dog. I can't recommend it highly enough. It wasn't expensive either and if it works it's fantastic, if not it won't do any harm either.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Have you considered acupuncture? I know some people don't believe in complementary medicine but it really worked for Loki when he had tendonitis in his shoulder. Lead walks were getting him down, so we tried it, it wiped him out totally for a day and he woke up a new dog. I can't recommend it highly enough. It wasn't expensive either and if it works it's fantastic, if not it won't do any harm either.
No I haven`t, but a good suggestion my hubby has it on his knee and says it does him good.

I know the lady I used to take him to hydrotherapy does it, (and my vet works with her ) so somehting to think about, after I speak to Will
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Scratch has started on an injection called Pentosan for arthritis and joint guard, I am slowly seeing a difference. It is only the beginning of his treatment (two weeks) and the other day we went for a walk that involved a steep hill (not a long one) and by the time he got to the top he was lame on one of is front legs, he stopped for a bit and then was still a bit lame but within an hour he was right.
Oldies are such a worry, heres hoping the vet has some solution, if on leads walks bore Bandit then it makes it such a dilemma.