View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2016, 01:32 PM

Converting our new puppy from kibble to raw?

I was a great fan of raw feeding, and used to prepare my own from our butcher and greengrocer- my previous dog was living proof of its benefits.
Now our boy is no longer with us, and we're planning on getting a puppy.
Unfortunately we were unable to find a raw feeding breeder, so we'll have to make the changeover as soon as the pup has settled into his new home.
My concern is exactly what to feed him during the very important early months when good nutrition will be the building blocks of his future health. I would like to make sure he gets the all vitamins and minerals he will need, and " the right mean-bone ratio ( whatever that is).Could l trust commercially produced "complete" raw meals which claim to have all the required elements for puppy development? I would start on these then go back to preparing my own when he's a bit older. I've noticed in the ingredients there's offal, but it doesn't say how much. I've read that too much offal can give a pup the "nasty squits", so you can appreciate my dilemma!
I would appreciate any advice from anyone!
Many thanks! D
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2016, 01:36 PM
I wrote " mean-bone ratio". I meant "meat-bone ratio".
Sorry to confuse. D
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-01-2016, 01:49 PM
I think with RAW food you often need to experiment and take cues from your dog and adjust accordingly.

Hopefully someone who has raw-fed a pup will chime in with their thoughts though, as I have never raw fed a puppy myself.

Have you decided on a breed yet? Exciting!
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2016, 02:07 PM
After much consideration ( and warnings from well meaning friends,) we've decided on an English Springer ( working type.) l've given up my part time job to train him and be with him during his first year, so hopefully by this time next year we'll have a partly trained dog! ��
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2016, 02:35 PM
My Pups just swapped straight onto raw their first day home and I fed them the same as the other dogs, just altered the portion size. I made the diet as varied as possible but have never fed a ready made meal as such. Never had a squitty butt with any of them either.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-01-2016, 02:40 PM
I raw feed all my dogs, I also breed and my puppies are weaned onto raw from 3 weeks onwards, all my puppies only go to homes where they can commit to raw feeding and they have a contract which, amongst other things, they have to sign to undertake raw feeding.
You can put a puppy straight onto raw, so you don't have to add bits here and there. I start mine off with chicken mince, turkey mince is another good one. I also am a great fan of ox heart as it contains amino acids which are the bulding blocks of life and by 5 weeks they are having pieces of ox heart and half a chicken wing each with their breakfast. I also grate and steam veg and start mixing that in at about 5 weeks, a little at a time. They have raw carrots, apple, pear, melon, bananas, to name a few as well as bones from about 3-4 weeks. Prior to that they are usually showing a lot of interest in their mother's bones (much to her annoyance) and also what she is eating when they are in the nest having to put up with milk from her. Once I have got them eating the chicken mince I then add tripe and then other foods as we go along, I mix tuna and sardines together, snip white fish together and try to make sure they have had a taste of everything. The day they leave me I prepare 7 days worth of meals, 3 a day, and freeze 18 of them, the other 3 I leave chilled for them to eat when they reach their new family.
Do not make the mistake of buying 'puppy milk' totally not needed, just something the pet food manufacturers have latched onto for profit purposes, the mother will have weaned them off her prior to them leaving (some of mine are still feeding of their mum though the day they go to their new homes)
If the puppy you decide on has been fed on what I can only describe as 'slop' you will probably have a bit of a struggle to be honest as they have no idea how to even chew, which is very sad when you think those teeth developed at 3 weeks and they may as well have not. Try to find a breeder that at least hasn't fed weetabix or something equally stupid
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0208.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	4835   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0210.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	4836   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0212.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	4837   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0213.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	4838  
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Many thanks for the replies.
I think l'll see what food l get from the breeder, then decide when to take the plunge and change over to raw.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2016, 02:27 PM
ratio is the same 80:10:5:5. Amount i go off 2.5% of expected weight and go from there. Puppies tend to respond better with the introduction of different meats.

With codi I used the food he was use to for a week then took the plunge and not looked back, and he didnt go through that fat puppy stage.

ATD x