Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Benji's Mum View Post
Hi, just want to give an update on Benji and his troubles. I'm very glad to say the anal glands stopped leaking after taking the tablets and hasn't had any problem at all since September. I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and hope he stays this way for a long time to come

Merry Christmas everyone!
Hi Benji's Mum I am glad to hear everything is ok now with little Benji. It might be an idea to check the anal glands ever 6 weeks or so to make sure all is well
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 01:52 AM
Mini, may I ask how do you "check" the anal glands.
I feel Willow is due to get her's emptied again soon, but not too sure.

I'm pleased to hear Benji is doing much better now, let's hope he has no further troubles with them. :smt001
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Mini, may I ask how do you "check" the anal glands.
I feel Willow is due to get her's emptied again soon, but not too sure.
I'm pleased to hear Benji is doing much better now, let's hope he has no further troubles with them. :smt001
Hi Evie once a dog has had a problem with blocked anal sacks it seems to reoccur, so it is a good idea to empty them regularly to prevent more serious conditions
developing. You can arrange for the vet nurse to empty them or do it yourself, it is very easy to do when you have done it once and takes about 10 seconds.
All you have to do is stand at the side of the dog, hold the tail up in one hand and holding a tissue in the other hand gently squeeze each side of the anus (at 7 and 5 on a clock face)with the side of your thumb and forefinger then wash the area. It smells pretty horrid so breath through your mouth not your nose

I do Amy's routinely every 6 weeks when she has a trim and bath.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks Mini.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3