Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Mysterious vomiting

Moon has always had a sensitive stomach, he's intolerant of either wheat or corn (not sure which) and when he was on kibble it had to be a rice based biscuit. He has had itchy skin in the past and dihorrea caused by food that didn't agree with him.He's also always been a VERY picky eater. After almost a year of struggling to get him to eat kibble and with him progressively eating less and less, we switched to feeding raw about 2 months ago.

At first, it really agreed with him. His poo became a really good consistancy, no itchy skin and he was enthusiastically eating the mince (although struggled to get him to eat chicken wings etc consistantly). However last week he sort of went off him food, eating only half his mince. At first this didn't seem so strange as he is a notoriously picky eater.

On Saturday he suddenly stopped in the middle of the park, wretched and threw up a small amount of frothy bile. We starved him for the rest of the day. Over the week he's been pretty much ok in himself, although quite sleepy (but he's been sleeping more all winter, I wouldn't describe him as lethagic). He's continued to only pick at him food, but will still find room for occassional treats

It's been difficult to monitor his poo as we're walking him in the evenings and it's been very dark, although what I've seen has been solid but half of it is a bright yellow colour. I didn't know if he was just being picky because he'd decided he was bored with the raw diet. However yesterday he stood up and threw up froth in the middle of the living room again.

I phoned the vets and they said it didn't sound like anything to worry about and to bring him in after Christmas if he was still doing it. I phoned a friend who's owned dogs for years and she agreed that he probably didn't need a vet. She said one of he dogs started throwing up bile because he tummy was empty, which would make sense with Moon eating so little. I fed him cooked chicken last night and he ate it all and kept it down, but refused the raw mince again. i've also been giving him probiotic yoghurt to try to settle him tummy.

Because he ate ok yesterday we dared to give him a little Christmas dinner today (some cooked meat, veg and a few roast potatoes with a little gravy). He ate it with gusto, then promptly three the whole thing up again

I am worried about him and I shall take him to the vets for a check up once they reopen, but I don't know what to do in the mean time. Anyone had any ideas what might be wrong with him? I was happy with the raw diet because it seemed to agree with him and he liked eating, now we're back to him refusing to eat and have tummy trouble again I really don't know what to do with him. I just don't know how to feed this dog!

Any ideas what could be making him throw up?

ETA: he also eats grass regularly, has done some squatting without passing faeces and scoots him butt along the floor (has been wormed recently and had his anal glands checked recently too). Could it be Irritable Bowel Syndrom?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Amanda the problem could be caused by a number of things.

Going on what you have said, if Moon was mine until he can be checked by the vet I would put him on three small meals of boiled rice and white fish a day. Or if you haven't any fish and the shops are closed rice and chicken to provide a light diet while his tummy settles.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Can't help but hope you get to the bottom of it and he is better soon xx
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks Minihaha. I starved him until about 7pm last night then fed him a small meal of rice and chicken. Poor doggy seemed ravenous (he doesn't normally act hungry or beg but he was staring intently as we ate our food!), but I only let him have a small amount. He kept it down, and we did the same for breakfast and he kept that down too. We too him for a short walk last night and he really perked up after doing a poo (no idea of the consistancy, couldn't find it in the dark, not for lack of trying!), so I guess he had a tummy ache and felt better after passing poo.

I'll keep him on the small chicken and rice portions and try and get him to a vet on Tuesday.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Amanda often when a dog has an upset tummy it will automatically expel the content of the stomach, this is one of the reasons we are told to starve a dog when it has been vomiting. If you then go ahead and feed normal food or a large meal it will often be brought back again, so very small easily digested meals are usually the answer.

Moon may have picked up a tummy bug or eaten something which didn't agree with him in which case he may be ok now, or there could be something else going on here. I wouldn't rush to take him off the small meals of rice and chicken, his tummy needs a few days to settle before his normal food is gradually reintroduced.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 12:37 AM
He may have a sensitive stomach due to a food allergy or sensitivity. Hill's prescription diet may help. They have one for sensitive stomachs and dogs with digestive problems. It's not cheap but it may help. Your vet can advise you on that when you go on tuesday.
Good luck. I'm sure it's nothing that can't be solved with a diet change. xx
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Hi
What your boy is bringing up is acid. I agree with Minihaha. Small chicken + rice meals 3 or even 4 times a day. This gives the digestive system less to work on at any given time and therefore the acid does not mount up in the same way. If there is a big gap between his last meal and you go to bed, try giving him a very plain biscuit such as Rich Tea [or even a baby's rusk] so there is something in his tummy during the night.

I hope you get on ok at the vets
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:25 PM
it's not good news at all

We went to the vets today and he took blood. Results came back as very high phosphates - his kidneys have given up working. We don't know if it's chronic or acute renal failure, he's staying in the vets for 48hours on a drip and antibiotics to see if it helps. However if it's chronic renal falirue then it's very serious, Moon may only have days to live It's so unfair, he's only four years old. I'm terrified and devesated and too upset to type any more right now?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this and can fully imagine how you must be feeling. I will keep everything crossed for a positive outcome. Big hugs to you and Moon.
xxx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I have everything crossed here for you and Moon

Thinking of you all x
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »