Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Sardines - do you?

I did search around and found some very helpful information - ofcourse, Dogsey ALWAYS delivers.

Anyhow, from reading Dogsey discovered that dogs like Sardines... so I was thinking my girls would love some of them.

Brought some today, I got sardines in water as I wasn't sure about oil, is that ok to feed them? and they don't do them in tomato sauce here in America, I will probably discover sardines are infact something completely different over here when I open the tin

They are fed a kibble and some canned meat (it is a prescritption diet for sensitive digestive systems), so how often could I add some sardines to their diet?

Once a day, once a week, couple times a week, I don't want to over do it and obviously would start off small to make sure it agrees with them....

But also if they can have them daily then why not!! make their coats even shinier!!!

Thanks in advance
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Mine have a small time of them split between them once a day.
They have the ones in sunflower oil, but have tried the ones in tomato sauce a few times.

Hope your guys enjoy them
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Mine have a small tin spilt between them when they have kibble. I get the ones in tomato sauce too but the ones in oil should be ok.

Yesterday I got 5.4 kg of Mackeral that had been reduced to 50p a kilo! It cost me £2.70 and I have enough food for 12 days for my 2 dogs. They get it with wholemeal pasta or rice plus veggies and a bit of hard-boiled egg. Can't be bad!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Mine have a small time of them split between them once a day.
They have the ones in sunflower oil, but have tried the ones in tomato sauce a few times.

Hope your guys enjoy them
I am sure they will...

Thanks for the info I will look for the sunflower oil ones, and will go ahead and start them off later with some for dinner!!!!
nomnomnomnomnom!!!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Yesterday I got 5.4 kg of Mackeral that had been reduced to 50p a kilo! It cost me £2.70 and I have enough food for 12 days for my 2 dogs. They get it with wholemeal pasta or rice plus veggies and a bit of hard-boiled egg. Can't be bad!
What will you be having - pot noodles....?

Mind you not having had a pot noodle for 6 years I could easily polish one of those off right now..

I am English BTW - living over here for 6 + years now!! hence the reason I know about pot noodles
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
What will you be having - pot noodles....?

Mind you not having had a pot noodle for 6 years I could easily polish one of those off right now..

I am English BTW - living over here for 6 + years now!! hence the reason I know about pot noodles
Ha, ha, we did have a couple of Pot Noodles in the cupboard! My husband gets a bit jealous when I cook for the dogs and he says "I'll have what they're having"!

I don't think you've missed much not having a Pot Noodle for 6 years though
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Mine get sardinnes in oil once a week.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 10:17 PM
mine like their sardines whole ,raw and still frozen lol
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 02:27 AM
Well Daisy was NOT impressed with sardines... she told me that fish like that are to be rolled in NOT eaten *sigh* so I removed them and she ate her dinner.....

Tilly my Springer, sniffed and then chowed down on them and looked like she enjoyed them

So I will try Daisy with some salmon... she REALLY likes Tuna but I read somewhere they shouldn't have that due to mercury - BUT I eat tuna always have and I'm not dead yet... anyway I don't give it to her all the time!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Ours both adore their fish. I get those little tinned sardines/mackerel and herring in oil in various supermarkets (whoever is cheapest) - they even like the ones in tomato sauce too

I just split the wee tin between them and pour the oil onto their kibble. Just makes things more interesting for them than plain kibble all the time.

The only down-side is Lola's fish-trumps!!! YIKES!!

Mine also love a boiled egg which I give them about twice a week on top of their grub.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >