Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Just bought Dr. Ian Billingshurst's give your dog a bone

Dr. Ian Billingshurst give your dog a bone. Seemed very difficult to locate one I have done it on line.

I fed Ollie mostly raw but am worried I did not do everything right and everything for this puppy has to be right.

I know deep down I did as I followed the breeders guide lines strictly and her dogs live to a good age, but browsing some of the contents I feel there was maybe more I could of done.

I have researched all the diets kibbles high grade. Wet foods high grade but still feel for me personally this is the way to feed. Especially as doing a lot fo research on feeding Bernese they all seem to come back to raw feeding is best for the breed.

I also know the vet new pup will be registered with is on the list SB supplied for Raw feeding vets and having Ollie registered there a couple of months before we lost him although the young vet was not entirely comfortable with my choice he respected it.

Anyone have the book is it as good as it sounds ? I am looking forward to receiving it and reading.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2011, 08:18 AM
I am going to buy a copy of this book. I have read it a few times cover to cover but keep getting it out from the library. I find it one of the better raw feeding books but have only read a few. He highly recommends that dogs should eat meaty bones every day or at least three times a week. He states that dogs are omnivores and that although they will survive without eating fruit and vegetables, they will never be totally healthy. This made me introduce fruit and veg into my dogs diet. I really like this book.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 08:30 AM
I haven't read the book, but a GSD breeder rears her GSDs on raw. Would you like the link to that? She's made a site specifically, and she's done a diary following a littl'uns (from 7 weeks I think it was) progress with raw.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I haven't read the book, but a GSD breeder rears her GSDs on raw. Would you like the link to that? She's made a site specifically, and she's done a diary following a littl'uns (from 7 weeks I think it was) progress with raw.
Yes please. Thats one of the reasons I have just bought this book it also gives advice on rearing puppies. The more research the better.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 08:34 AM
I borrowed the book - it is hard going, very repetitive. I didn't like reading it. I read the GSD sites who raise their dogs on raw and all the myths etc as well as using the forums and help from friends and the supplier..

Good luck with your new pup...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I borrowed the book - it is hard going, very repetitive. I didn't like reading it. I read the GSD sites who raise their dogs on raw and all the myths etc as well as using the forums and help from friends and the supplier..

Good luck with your new pup...
I hope I get some use out of it it has just cost me £25-99
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I hope I get some use out of it it has just cost me £25-99
You should've asked to borrow it off someone lol But at least you'll have it to refer to if you get stuck
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Yes please. Thats one of the reasons I have just bought this book it also gives advice on rearing puppies. The more research the better.
http://www.krisannriorawfeeding.com/

Here you go I have to admit, their dogs look incredibly healthy on their main breeders page, so they're obviously doing something right
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-10-2011, 09:49 AM
That looks an interesting site JJ. You are right they do look very healthy.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Let us know how you get on with it Lynn.

The main two things that worry me most about feeding raw is:
  • Farming standards - routine antibiotics, steroids, growth hormones and all the other crap and practises. Is raw meat safe? Does cooking negate some of the negatives?
  • Species Appropriate... or not? - What I mean by that is would dogs eat 'just' chicken legs/cuts of meat most people feeding RAW give? Hoe much of the carcass do they actually eat? What else do they eat - in the wild?

I wish there was some in-depth study on the diet of wolves - how difficult would it be for some of these dog food manufacturers to commission such a study? They just need to track and note the diet of a few packs :/ Anyone know of any studies? And I guess more importantly.. WHY haven't any food manufacturers done this anyway?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >