View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Thanks she does seem to have a reacuring (?) fear spell of the cat lol. I tried asda as I fort that it mite be the pedigree stuff as my other dog doesn't do to well on that either and is fed on value mix now gala or something which is pretty cheap but does its job nicely. Obviously Kodi is too young for that yet tho. Breeders did kinda tell be bout the food they fed the parents on which was vetinary hills. I agree with the vets givin 'bad' recommendations e.g. i**s which i feel are wrong and would never feed my dog on that!!! Has anyone got any suggestions on foods brands i could try? I saw another thread earlier bout Burns and I have sent off for a sample, and they also do a working dog type. or how bout fresh meat for one meal yougurt and pasta for another and a complete meal for her main meal??? obviously will break in better this time
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi Footybird...

The foods I have tried for dogs before are as follows:

Pedigree, Keena did ok on this but for some reason when I was new to all of this I switched her to Bakers...Now I know more about food for dogs, I am not satisfied with the ingrediants of either product and feel that Bakers is designed to be pleasing on the human eye more than to the dogs tummy, the artificial colours are no good, don't like the ingrediants and I think I even remember seeing sugars being listed and dogs just don't need any of that feed to them everyday for the rest of their life, it's all no good to the teeth and although some dogs are fine on it, most have to admit it is like feeding them junk food with added vitamins.

I fed a few can's of ASDA Hero when Keena was being fussy with eating just dry food alone, again looked into the ingrediants and now I wouldn't fed it to my dogs at all and also it gave Keena the runs big time.

I tried James WellBeloved because it was hypoallergenic and for sensitive tums, but it didn't help Keena and I thought you had to feed rather alot of it in comparison to some similar brands. At this point I was now mixing in NatureDiet which is a meat for dogs made out of all natural ingrediants and the meat really is meat, it helped Keena eat the dry that she wasn't eating without wet added and I think NatureDiet is a really good food for dogs if they do like wet food.

After the James WellBeloved was not helping we switched to NutroChoice Puppy Large Breed and still mixed in the NatureDiet, Keena still had phases of loose stools, mostly I would notice it was always when we were out on a walk, at home she would go just fine, so maybe it was because of the excersise making her go quicker than she would normally, therefore the stool wouldn't have had as long to harden...lol...or because she was a little nervous of the big wide world, or just excited, all of which could have had that affect on her.

The when she was coming up to 10 months old we got another puppy, Takoda. Then Keena because of the competition for food was and still is no longer fussy and so although I liked the NatureDiet product we phased this out and she just had Nutro Choice Large Breed alone with nothing added, then foolishly just as everything was ok, Takoda never having had a problem on Nutro and both going nice and firm! I decided I would try Autarky because it is a good food, the ingrediants are very good and it is a great price too at £14 for 15kg you can't beat it, but it gave them hurrendous diarreoh I tried giving it enough time for them to settle on it but they just couldn't and so even though Nutro sells at about £35 for 15kg we are back on that, with no problems and will probably stay on it too...

The only food that has tempted me elsewhere is a brand called Eagle Pack but it is way expensive and I will probably stick to Nutro so long as they are doing well on it because if it ain't broke don't fix it is sometimes best!

She now occassionaly is loose but it has gotten alot better by far and I think she is just growing out of it and maybe because she is only getting the kibble with nothing mixed in this is better for her digestion to cope with.

With regads to your other idea of feeding your pup, fresh meat, pasta etc...Be very carefull you learn all that you can if you are going to go your own route you'll need to make sure what you need will be well balanced.

Hope it all works out well.

(P.S: the foods that I mention, are just talked about in my opinion only, not saying that any are good or bad, just what my experiance was with them )
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Cool thanks. Its ok tho I won't feed her completely on pasta and stuff it was just to settle stomach so that I can change her food easier. Am I right in saying that N.Inuit's are the same I mean like Artic breeds!?
Is the Nutro easy to get hold of then? Also is it the same sort of stuff as Burns? As then it is easier for me to understand what it is!
She is ok in respect to actually eatin as she will eat anything put in front of her inc. us and the other dog lol. But seriously she does wolf her food down pretty quick could be because of fear of competition altho sam never tries eating hers even if she nicks his
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 03:47 PM
lot of the husky people feed eagle pak or royal canin slightly dearer but is quite good for a dry food, I have northern breed of dogs too (Alaskan Malamutes) went through the whoe dried food shinanigins as they had dodgy tummy's too, ended up feeding them a completely raw diet, have'nt looked back since, its not everyones choice of feeding, but it works well with mine, and I know loads of sibe ppl that feed their dogs this type of diet too. I did get told that chappie dog food is good for dogs with sensitve tummy's dont' know how true that is.

MO
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Cool cheers was thinking of a raw diet to begin, before we got her infact but thought that it would make her ill if we got a dodgy batch. we have fed her raw chicken off the bone though as a variety thing but didn't notice any difference. Still thinking maybe raw stuff in the morning and complete mix later on!!!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 02:21 AM
I think most people who believe in feeding raw would not reccomend feeding half raw and half kibble because the digestive system needs to get used to one or the other, so it would be best to do it completly if you want to go that route.

I to want to feed my dogs the raw diet eventually...First I need a mush bigger freezer though! but second I still want to make sure I get it right first time without any messing around so I am making a point to learn lots more. You said you didn't notice much difference feeding the odd piece of raw, that would be because it was just fed here and there, you would need to go the whole hog (!) with it to notice any change, good or bad. If you did change over to raw you would need to know how to break it in and I don't just mean over 7 days like with a new kibble I mean by making sure you get the balance right to ease the dogs into it because apparently the dogs go through a stage of detox once they switch. It's probably not as complicated as it all sounds to me and I am sure that you could ask more advice from others here who feed raw, especially mo here seeing as she owns a similar breed and apparently has lots of Sibe conatcts who also feed raw.

The Northern Inuit Dog has Siberian and Malamute ancestory and so is very much like the Northern breeds in this aspect of sensitive tums or at least that is what I found with my Keena, Takoda on the other hand hasn't had any problems only when he was on Autarky a little while (though lots of dogs including other N.I.Dogs do great on it)

Nutro is real easy to get ahold of, seapets stock it (but not sure if they have stores all over the uk or not?) or you can order it as well as many other brands online and have it delivered (sometimes at no extra cost of you find a good supplier) If you are interested have a good look around, visit there site etc. Not saying it will be the end to your problem but that is the food mine are on. Burns is a similar good product but it has much less protein and because Keena was a bit of a rake and burned off lots of energy and would have gotten even skinnier on a food with less protein, we didn't feed it to her.

Good luck with your search! Let us know how you get on and if your pup is doing any better or worse. (remember the food route is my opinion only and if you get concerned about the diarreoh get her in for tests to rule out anything more sinister)

Take care.
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks again I will prob stick to the kibble stuff then as I've looked around BARF and don't really understand it so would rather not get it wrong and at least with kibble once you have right stuff its pretty simple. So if I were to give her something like Burns which is low in Pro (what I was told by breeder but thought bit strange as Pro is so important) would I have to supplements her with something such as Milk for example (but not milk) but you know what I meant something high in Pro like that.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 12:23 AM
no, don't add suppliments to a complete kibble, that will do more harm then good.

You by all means can try Burns, but I thought the protein was to low for my dogs, but you can always see what you think.
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Ok then cheers I wanna look around a bit but don't it will take longer, which ain't good on her
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Footy if you have a good read on the Burns site it explains all about the about the protein, it is a very informative site.And remember John Burns is a vet so qualified to advise on the health matters listed there also .

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >