Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi ATD many vets now use the three year/36 month vaccines like Nobivac or the equivalent which covers for the main conditions (excluding Leptospirosis and parainfluenza) so it is worth asking your vet about this.
http://www.future-of-vaccination.co....y-vaccines.asp
My vet still sends out letters for annual vaccinations - and they use Nobivac. I know this because that was the vaccine that Rio had an adverse reaction to. I was advised that Nobivac is the strongest licensed vaccine in the UK, and the one most likely to cause a reaction. Rio's second jab was done with Eurocam (spelt right? not sure). The vet told me this. I don't booster, as one of my Mum's cats had a fit and died straight after a booster, so I did some research and it didn't seem right to me.

Again, as others have said, it's a personal choice, but Lepto and Kennel Cough vaccines won't guarantee that your dog won't get these diseases.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
All the Insurance Company will not cover will be any disease that the dog wasn't vaccinated against.
BTW I don't vax for my dogs sake not to save money-losing one dog because of his vax is enough

It would be worth checking that out with the insurance company concerned before deciding not to vaccinate. If you breach the terms and conditions of your policy you may invalidate your cover and be providing them with an opt out.

It was the OP who was concerned about the financial implications. I am aware you have other issues that have nothing to do with finances. In the light of your experiences and standing in your shoes I would probably feel the same.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Yup my vet said that she only does it every 3 years, she wanted to boost for lepto but admited that it only lasts max 3 months - so in my mind that was not worth it

My insurance states it wouldnt cover if my dog got ill with something I should have vaccinated for, but I still have to have an anunal health check

Everyone has to make their own desicion based on what they feel is best for their dog, but I can see no problem with being a little late for the jab

AFAIK the titers are blood tests that check for antibodies
THe only real problem with them is if the dog has not been in contact with the desease then its body wont be producing antibodies to it so you could get a false negative
But if your dog is mixing with other dogs then the antibodies should show up
It is not the cheep option tho - my vet said about £80
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2