Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shelbys_mom
New Member!
Female 

22-05-2008, 06:04 PM

17 Year Old Mini Schnauzer

Hello, I am new to this forum and this may already be on here but I thought I would ask for personal comments. I have a Mini Schnauzer who is 2 months shy of being 17 years old. I've had her since she was 6 weeks old and she has always been my baby. Since her, I also have 7 other dogs in the household so you can imagine my vet bills, food bills, etc. A couple of years ago, the vet said that she was going through kidney failure. He put her on canned Science Diet I/D and obviously this has helped because she is still here. However, she has drastically lost weight and I would guess that she may weigh 12#'s or so. I am so afraid to bring her to the vet because I do not want to hear him say that the best thing to do would be to let her go to rainbow bridge. She eats twice a day and has no issues eating. She does wear pampers in the house now as she forgets and has accidents. She also has trouble holding her bowels. She does not show any signs of pain but does not walk very well, gets little to no exercise because of this and her day mostly consists of sleeping. I let her walk around in the back yard the best that she can but most of the time, she will fall and I will have to help her back up. She also gets lost in the back yard and I will have to direct her. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is the longest I have ever had a dog and I have never had to euthanize so I do not know what to do. I have talked to my vet a couple of times over the phone and he just says that I will know when the time comes. Well, I do not know and this is really bothering me since this is not the dog that I am accustomed to seeing. I have 7 others that are 1 (2 of them), 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10. Your suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had a Schnauzer live this long? Peace!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 06:20 PM
mmnn its a hard one, in a way perhaps she is telling you that its time to go, by not being able to get around, by being disorientated and losing weight ??

However if she is showing no real pain, then perhaps she has a little longer.....

its a very hard decision.
but they do say better a day too soon than a day too late ???
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I see where you are coming from and it is a very difficult decision to make. What you have to look at is quality of life. Is she still enjoying life or is she just muddling along because she has to? I agree with Brundog, better a day too soon than a day too late.

My thoughts are with you.

((Big Hugs))

Heidi
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by shelbys_mom View Post
Has anyone else had a Schnauzer live this long? Peace!
Hi Shelbys mom and welcome to Dogsey
I have had a Mini aged almost 17, and I had one PTS aged 16 last July(Amy the one in my Avatar) . She had a bad heart and was in end stage kidney failure, unable to keep food down and was losing weight rapidly.

When life ceases to hold any pleasures for a beloved dog, that is the time to let them go. I think sometimes we fail to admit to ourselves that this stage has been reached because we just can't contemplate being without them
I know how hard it is to make that last decision, but I think it is up to us to repay the years of devotion our dogs bring by making sure they don't feel any discomfort and are not distressed in any way and that often means allowing them to go .... xxx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Hello shelbys_mom, welcome to Dogsey

I have to echo Minihaha's post, the decision is never easy
I lost a boy (cavalier) at only 11 years years old, that morning he was due to have blood tests - but in my heart I knew the time was right to say goodnight as he had been struggling and I just couldn't bare to watch him in this way.

Thinking of you at this difficult time xxx
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Also thinking of you at this hard time.xxx
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 02:27 AM
our dog buck was like that and he had an infection he went thru some antibiotics and put the weight right back on
hes 18 this yearxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 05:36 AM
My old JRT had exactly the same condition, she was 18yrs. It's a hard one, but for me, I decided when she could no longer hold her wee's and poo's, plus taking the other dogs out walking and having to leave her behind.
I felt that she was missing out on the good things of life.
I'm sure you will know. Best wishes to you and your lovely old lady. xxxxx
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I dont really have any advice but i know you will make the right decision that is best for her, thinking of you. ((hugs))
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I too can't offer any advice on what to do but I do feel for you I have a nearly 4 year old mini girl who means the whole world to me so I can imagine the torment you must be going through ....Thinking of you and sending loads of((hugs))
Sue
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >